Bitcoins/Litecoins/Virtual Currencies

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Were you new to it when you started? Just curious if the initial setup took you a long time to figure out. I definitely know what to do as I'm mining on one of my gpu's right now and have mined in the past. I also mined Bitcoin about 2 years ago when it was around $5-18 range and if I kept the hundreds that I had then I would definitely be in good shape right now. Who knew.

Anyways, I am more interested in a return, but am also more comfortable making an initial investment and mining the coins rather than buying and figuring out when to sell. I'll be able to mine more coins with the $1,500 for the mining supplies than I could just buying coins now. I'm really not willing to invest much more than that. Because I'll end up just holding the coins and waiting for a miracle in a few years.

edit: also, I'm not putting them in a case
If you're familiar with scrypt mining already then that's fine. If you're planning for the long game regardless, then why do you have to "figure out when to sell"? I'm actually a little surprised right now that with the meteoric rise in LTC price that the difficulty isn't rising appropriately -- we're about 8 hours out from a recalculation and the difficulty gain is an estimated 2 percent. I'm guessing that will change over the next few weeks as more and more people deploy GPU miners, but who knows, its plausible that scrypt mining is making the entry barrier too daunting for a lot of people. I'm laughing at the doods buying ASICs for 1st quarter, all the calculations I'm doing say good luck seeing a return. That being said, I find it extremely likely that difficulty begins to increase noticeably over the next week. The $10/day per 7950 is just too good to last.

1x 7950 hashing at a tame 600kh/s will pay for itself in approximately a month assuming minor difficulty increases. I'm moving cross-country in 6 weeks otherwise I'd probably set up a few more 7950s since I enjoy mining and beating the ROI seems likely. I'm considering just putting USD in and saying "fuck it, I'd rather do it and lose than not do it and watch other people win".

Last thing; I have my 7950s running stable at 655kh/s. If you end up needing advice on how to tweak it let me know; they can be stubborn as hell.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Anyone doing Peercoin or any other lesser known currencies? Looking for tips on a good one to get into and why.

EDIT: I'm thinking Namecoin or Primecoin because they seem a little more practical as far as longterm value.

Solariss

Golden Squire
If you're familiar with scrypt mining already then that's fine. If you're planning for the long game regardless, then why do you have to "figure out when to sell"? I'm actually a little surprised right now that with the meteoric rise in LTC price that the difficulty isn't rising appropriately -- we're about 8 hours out from a recalculation and the difficulty gain is an estimated 2 percent. I'm guessing that will change over the next few weeks as more and more people deploy GPU miners, but who knows, its plausible that scrypt mining is making the entry barrier too daunting for a lot of people. I'm laughing at the doods buying ASICs for 1st quarter, all the calculations I'm doing say good luck seeing a return. That being said, I find it extremely likely that difficulty begins to increase noticeably over the next week. The $10/day per 7950 is just too good to last.

1x 7950 hashing at a tame 600kh/s will pay for itself in approximately a month assuming minor difficulty increases. I'm moving cross-country in 6 weeks otherwise I'd probably set up a few more 7950s since I enjoy mining and beating the ROI seems likely. I'm considering just putting USD in and saying "fuck it, I'd rather do it and lose than not do it and watch other people win".

Last thing; I have my 7950s running stable at 655kh/s. If you end up needing advice on how to tweak it let me know; they can be stubborn as hell.
Well, I think I can get more coins out of mining than I would investing the $1,500. So that's why I chose that route. It's had so much ridiculous gain today it's almost scary to buy in now. I wanted to grab some, but I really don't know if I should at this point and I just keep sitting here watching the price go up.

I'm hoping to just get at least a couple hundred coins out of mining and I'll be happy. Buying that many now would just be too much for me. I will definitely let you know if I need some help configuring. What pool do you mine in?

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
Litecoins fucking quadrupled in price in the past week, gg.
One 7950 now mines about $28/day in LTC.

Semi-related, if anyone has LTC/BTC they want to sell and don't have exchange accounts, hit me up and I can probably help you liquidate.

Mahes

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Look at the first page of this post, never mind the subject having been discussed on the FoH boards. Realize that the bitcoin literally made millionaires if you owned more than 2000+ of them say 1.5 years ago and cashed them in now. Really is eerie how fast they appreciated in value.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
GD LTC went crazy this week, when I entered the game they were at 2.47/ltc.

Ended up buying 2 of my friends 5850's since he just picked these up and he just ordered 4 more. Wish I could drop that kind of cash on a rig.

rrr_img_51189.jpg

rrr_img_51190.jpg

Tmac

Adventurer
<Gold Donor>
Any Rerolled bitcoin millionaires out there?

What's the speculation on getting into it now? It's still early considering the age of the market, even if the price is going all cray cray.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I just made a huge leap of faith.

vtOKem2.jpg

I think I will make my money back at least.

Any more money I invest will be just in buying BTC directly. I am worried about the difficulty jumps. I think that most of the ASIC manufacturers have blown their current load so we won't see the huge jumps we have been seeing. I hope I am not wrong.

I could be very wrong and just wasted $15k ... time will tell.

Solariss

Golden Squire
I just made a huge leap of faith.

vtOKem2.jpg

I think I will make my money back at least.

Any more money I invest will be just in buying BTC directly. I am worried about the difficulty jumps. I think that most of the ASIC manufacturers have blown their current load so we won't see the huge jumps we have been seeing. I hope I am not wrong.

I could be very wrong and just wasted $15k ... time will tell.
Please post updates regularly. Would love to know how it works out for you.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
It's funny how bitcoin mining is analogous to other financial systems. Computing resources and engineers are pulled off to solve imaginary problems that directly increase revenue but really help no one.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
It's funny how bitcoin mining is analogous to other financial systems. Computing resources and engineers are pulled off to solve imaginary problems that directly increase revenue but really help no one.
I wonder if anyone has calculated how much equipment, precious metals, and general resources have been wasted by the ASIC industry for Bitcoin mining.

What do we do with all this when Bitcoin mining is over?!?!

I should start working on that solution and see if I can make some money off it.

antha124

Lord Nagafen Raider
Just bought a gaming rig for myself and doing a little litecoin mining. running a single r280x I get 730-750Kh/s. Thinking about getting another r280x to try and double that in the near future. It wont be on 24/7, maybe during the day at work and overnight. Rest of the time I'll be gaming on it.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Are you going to mine bitcoins or are you going to mine some other currency? Megacoins seem pretty profitable.
Bitcoins, I don't think the current ASIC's can do anything else. I know for sure they can't do LTC, are they supposedly able to do something else?