Black Desert

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Any you BDO boys check out Elyon yet to any degree? From what I gather theres a pretty big effort by korea to keep westerners off the K servers so information is pretty sparse but it seems like the games are pretty similar.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Any you BDO boys check out Elyon yet to any degree? From what I gather theres a pretty big effort by korea to keep westerners off the K servers so information is pretty sparse but it seems like the games are pretty similar.
Elyon is literally just Tera 2 imo. Half the classes and even some of the areas are just straight ripoffs. Plus, isn't it only like 5 or 6 classes? And Unreal Engine 3?! ROFL, no thanks.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
The game that might turn out good(or not) is Dungeon Fighter 2, or 3D or whatever they're calling it, but it's not coming out soon in Korea, so probably not for a very long time in the west. The combat looks more similar to Blade and Soul(less big skills, more emphasis on juggling/combos etc) and it's based on a very successful IP in Korea/China(DFO is a 2D side scrolling beat em up "mmo" that's really old, has like 60+ classes and shit, very fun game but different genre entirely). They've only started revealing it but the reveal videos looked really nice, although it might have a much bigger emphasis on dungeons/pvp than BDO. There's a new BDO on the way though iirc too. Crimson Desert or something?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Isn't crimson desert mostly a single game just online? From what I have read and watched, its like a genshin impact. ALmost all single player with some multiplayer elements(example: 2-3 others join your world to do a dungeon or such, but once thats done its just you again in you again in your single player game).

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Isn't crimson desert mostly a single game just online? From what I have read and watched, its like a genshin impact. ALmost all single player with some multiplayer elements(example: 2-3 others join your world to do a dungeon or such, but once thats done its just you again in you again in your single player game).
Probably. They haven't given any specifics beyond saying it has MMO features.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
The only sandbox I know of coming up is AoC. The 3d Dungeon fighter is called Project BBQ I think, the combat videos I've seen look pretty good. Blue Protocol also looks like it will have pretty good combat.

Raes

Vyemm Raider
It's not an mmo. It's a single player game "with multiplayer functionality", and you have a party of mercenary npcs, and I assume people can join your game as one of the mercs. It looks like it was originally planned to be an MMO, but either they decided not to cannibalize BDO's player base, or the updated graphics/combat made the client shit the bed with too many players on screen at one time. From one of the interviews it sounds like a pet project from the lead guy who thinks he's some kind of awesome storyteller, which would basically make him a unicorn amongst Korean developers. Basically, the studio that is light years ahead of other MMO's in graphics/animations, from a country that is notorious for terrible stories in games decides to make a single player story-driven game instead of a sequel. Clown world.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Well shit, now you all have me doubting my choice of Lahn. I didn't go experimenting with other classes, I just jumped in.

I feel like it's a pretty crazy class though with good AOE clear, good gap closing, and high healing (not sure if other classes heal at all?).

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Well shit, now you all have me doubting my choice of Lahn. I didn't go experimenting with other classes, I just jumped in.

I feel like it's a pretty crazy class though with good AOE clear, good gap closing, and high healing (not sure if other classes heal at all?).
Lahn is a totally solid class. Definitely stick with it if you enjoy her. But, if you're only a week or two of investment in, I'd definitely run through trial characters until you find one that feels perfect (I'm still searching - Hash is probably the closest so far and I fucking hate that I'm going to be forced into possibly going female to find a class I 100% enjoy. Sex based classes are easily my largest complaint about the game).

The big thing about this game is not getting too caught up in "the meta" or FOTM mindsets. It takes WAY too much investment in a character to think like that and while "rerolling" or swapping mains has been made a lot easier recently, you throw away a lot by hopping classes every time a patch changes the meta. Not to mention all the muscle memory that has to be rewired in a game like this.

As an example, I have a warrior who is Artisan 9 in almost every single lifeskill except farming and fishing (other chars do that because it's way easier/efficient to park an alt for those). Technically, a class like a Musa or Ninja is a way better lifeskiller because their movement is nuts (warrior isn't bad with their shift-f, Musa and ninja are just much more consistent). However, it'd probably take literal YEARS to offset the investment of leveling everything to artisan 9 again with slightly better movement skills.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
I highly recommend focusing on cooking first on if you're into lifeskills, it'll boost your CP so you can setup a nice worker empire (and get 10 fences for 100 CP if you want to manage farming daily) and you can do daily imperial cooking turnins for a nice easy daily profit. After that gathering, hunting, bartering are strong skills to invest in, but bartering especially is complicated and will take a big investment before the money starts coming in. Like Kirun said, youtube and guides are your friend, the game has a lot of systems and many of them are complex, but they're also mostly optional. You can focus on what you want and never touch the things you're not interested in for the most part.

Use this for cooking:
Cooking spreadsheet

Speaking of good cooking resources, this site is fantastic: Anbu Bdo

It'll let you know the most "efficient" items to cook from a cost standpoint, as well as alchemy. Plus, it also shows you the highest silver/CP nodes in the game, in case you don't know how to setup a worker empire or just aren't sure what to invest your CP into.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider

Make sure you get those weapon swap coupons from the season server, they allow you to swap to another class pretty easily if you decide on another class later. You also have the option of tagging an alt with a copy of your mains gear for a price.

Zindan

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Speaking of good cooking resources, this site is fantastic: Anbu Bdo

It'll let you know the most "efficient" items to cook from a cost standpoint, as well as alchemy. Plus, it also shows you the highest silver/CP nodes in the game, in case you don't know how to setup a worker empire or just aren't sure what to invest your CP into.
Anbu is alright, but the Worker Empire info is kinda misleading and the CP cost is wrong on a several of the nodes that I've looked at. The daily profit is based on having Artisan Goblin workers feed throughout the day and being able to sell everything that day. It is good for giving someone an idea on what resources are valuable (kinda).

Re rolling isn't a big issue these days, especially with Seasons. You can also use the new Tag system that will copy the gear your main has to the Tagged character, but that can be pricey.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is there any point in enhancing the Grand Prix gear? Seems like since it's only good for about another week, and the upgrade is marginal, that it's a giant waste of time.

In fact, outside of getting the season reward for it, it seems pretty pointless.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Is there any point in enhancing the Grand Prix gear? Seems like since it's only good for about another week, and the upgrade is marginal, that it's a giant waste of time.

In fact, outside of getting the season reward for it, it seems pretty pointless.
All the horse shit is pretty tedious and often leads nowhere. I was really excited about horse training because of how "afk friendly" it is, but once I deep dove it on YouTube and such? Yeah, it's all trash.

Just save up for a T8/9 and call it good. Skill is probably even more in need of an overhaul than trading, honestly.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Unless they changed it in the last 6 months, the only thing that really matters in horse training is your training level. The typical crafting gear that increases mastery is almost useless for horse training. The mastery gear helps you level training faster so in that sense it's useful. But for a better chance of learning a new horse skill or movement speed then training level is king.

Training level really doesn't really help you until you start to get close to Master, which takes months of afk training.

And horse skill change coupons are one of the most p2w items in the game.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Unless they changed it in the last 6 months, the only thing that really matters in horse training is your training level. The typical crafting gear that increases mastery is almost useless for horse training. The mastery gear helps you level training faster so in that sense it's useful. But for a better chance of learning a new horse skill or movement speed then training level is king.

Training level really doesn't really help you until you start to get close to Master, which takes months of afk training.

And horse skill change coupons are one of the most p2w items in the game.
Yeah, pretty much everything surrounding horses is fucking dumb and very outdated - it's probably the most needed lifeskill overhaul. It's extremely RNG based (which, obviously a LOT of stuff in this game is), but unlike other RNG systems in BDO, there's really not a payoff with horse related stuff. That's why it's best to just wait for a T8 coupon from an event and then just save up to buy your Dream Horse. The RNG surrounding dream horse is horrific.

Besides, aren't T8s just as quick as Dream Horses, just without the special skills that they get?

B_Mizzle

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, really find a class you enjoy thoroughly. You'll be spending HUNDREDS of hours on it. This is an extremely deep game (probably the deepest MMO out there, IMO) and something you have to plan for long-term/invest in. If your goal is to just casually fuck around for a few weeks, it's honestly probably not the right game for you.

For instance, I've spent the past 3 weeks fucking around on various classes (still having a rough time finding one that feels 100% "right") and working on gathering/cooking casually to get some cash established. And the whole time I've been watching YouTube, Twitch, and a podcast, yet feel like I only deeply understand about 10-15% of the game.

Also, understand that you're going to be really inefficient at most things early on. Lifeskilling, grinding, worker empire, etc. A lot of the "guides" out there are from the perspectives of dudes that have put years into the game. So, not only do they have great gear to make things more efficient, they have a near perfect understanding of whatever topic they're discussing. A lot of the shit they expect literally isn't possible as a fresh/newer player. Plus, a lot of efficiency gains are relatively minor. In the areas of 1-20%. It's made into a "big deal" because over the course of months or years, that's obviously a huge loss of potential money, exp, etc. But, being 5-10% less efficient for a week or two while you figure out mistakes or what works better for your particular playstyle? Not a big deal.

A good example of this is workers. Goblins are far and away the best workers in pretty much every aspect. There are a few cases where a short distance node with secondary resources can be better as a human because of luck differences, but a lot of those a goblin is still better over the long term. However, goblins have super low stamina, so they need a lot more attention in terms of food and such. So, someone who can check in on their workers every few hours is ALWAYS going to have better results. But, if you're someone who has to afk for long periods, Giants can be great for that. Because while they are mostly shit, obviously having a worker doing SOMETHING is better than a goblin who ran out of stamina 4 hours ago.

These are the examples of efficiency I'm talking about. The difference isn't huge, is impacted a lot by playstyle, and at the end of the day is really only noticeable over the course of thousands of hours.

Have to second that, been dicking around for about a month on this game, and as far as content/stuff to do, no game can even compare. I've got about 75 active hours in and I haven't evenn scratched the surface. The only thing it seems to be lacking is dungeons? Not sure why they haven't added those. The raiding scene is meh but doesn't take any investment, just show up when the boss spawns and try not to die.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
Have to second that, been dicking around for about a month on this game, and as far as content/stuff to do, no game can even compare. I've got about 75 active hours in and I haven't evenn scratched the surface. The only thing it seems to be lacking is dungeons? Not sure why they haven't added those. The raiding scene is meh but doesn't take any investment, just show up when the boss spawns and try not to die.

They've already announced that dungeons are "coming", but they honestly just sound like glorified grinding spots. Then again, that's basically what a dungeon is supposed to be, I guess - at least if we're going by standards "established" by EQ.

Bobbybick

Trakanon Raider
Is there ever a reason to group up in this game or is it just solo grind mobs till your eyes bleed so someday your gear will maybe be decent enough to pvp?

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Is there ever a reason to group up in this game or is it just solo grind mobs till your eyes bleed so someday your gear will maybe be decent enough to pvp?

There are group grinding spots. Otherwise group pvp, piracy, node wars etc.