Black Desert

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I tried the char creator thingy... it's OK. Is there really no master sliders for things like character height and build? I really don't want to have to double check to make sure the triceps aren't bulging awkwardly after changing the entire muscle system of a character.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
How RNG heavy is this game? Is it typical Asianess - aka: GAMBLE TO THE MAAAAAXX!!!?

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
How RNG heavy is this game? Is it typical Asianess - aka: GAMBLE TO THE MAAAAAXX!!!?
There's RNG in the enchanting + upgrading iirc. Upgrading is green > blue quality and done in crafting station and based on workers stats. Its just "Fail or succeed" and if you fail you just do it again with more materials.

Enchanting:

- Can't fail up to and including +7.
- +7 to +15, can fail, you lose the "Stones" you need to upgrade but you generate "Fail stacks". Fail stacks increase your chance to upgrade on next turn. item wont lose any enhancements(ie going from say + 10 to +9 on fail).
- After +15(which I don't think NA gets at release), same as above but you can lose enchanting levels(ie you can drop from +16 to +15) but you can't go below + 15. Also iirc you lose more durability per try.

Supposedly no "increase chance at success" items in cash shop either for NA/EU, so removes a lot of the p2w aspects(along with no p2p trading etc).

At least that is what I think its like, don't quote me.

There's also RNG in pet breeding/horse taming, but that just seems like regular ol gaming RNG.

Kedwyn

Silver Squire
It's not bad actually. There is a heavy focus on PVE grinding but no traditional dungeon grind and lock out timers. Regular mobs drop 99% of what you need and you can solo all of that easy. Boss mobs are spawned by scrolls that you get a variety of ways at end game. Most require a group or can be solo, a few require many groups to do. Everyone gets a shot at loot which is nice so it pays to save up the scrolls and knock them out for everyone at the end of the week with as many people as possible. Easier fights and everyone can get loot.

Cinge is dead on for the most part in his post. After +5 on armor and +7 on weapons you can fail the enchant.

More importantly you can also guarantee the enchant by using more materials. So you can either play the RNG game or just throw mats at it and auto succeed.

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
0l0W0ve.jpg

Zaide

TLP Idealist
Is there much in the way of end game content in BD? It looks like I'll have to decide between this and BnS soon.

Vhaatz

Molten Core Raider
There's no instanced dungeons, raids, or really any complex/mechanical pve fights. I think there may be some open-world dungeons that you can grind camps in... as far as I understand, endgame is focused around pvp and GvG/castle sieges. There are some rudimentary world bosses you can summon with some items, and I believe they drop gear or mats to upgrade your gear, but that's about it (at least at NA launch). There seems to be a lot of other stuff to do after you hit the soft-cap with crafting, housing, nodes and fighting other players. Not sure how crafting is going to go with the standardized AH pricing but I guess it's worked in kr/jp/ru for this long.

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
If you are looking for traditional content, log in do your raid(s) and/or log in do a couple dungeon runs, then I would pass.

If you can find yourself having fun doing more of the non-traditional stuff, more sandboxy content(exploration, crafting, housing, fishing/hunting, horse taming/races etc) along with guild based PVP then I would definitely look into it.

Just be ready for almost endless progression(either through levels or upgrading gear or just farming money), via grinding mostly. Oh and be prepared for things like no fast travel, money/weight penalties, no linked banks , fixed AH prices etc, as its pretty different from the norm.

Thankfully its B2P, so no worries about not having VIP or other nonsense(hopefully) so you can just do the cheap package($30 for this game is a steal) and be able to pop in and play whenever you want.

Tearofsoul

Ancient MMO noob
BnS is all about daily quests(both pve pvp), 6man, 24man(not the traditional raid) gear/boss grind. BDO is more like a sandbox with open world PvP/GvG/Siege, there are very few pve endgame in BDO. I personally have no love for Korean MMOs after Aion/Tera/Archeage.

Pyros

<Silver Donator>
They have PvE in the lastest korean versions apparently, but that's like several months if not a year + away here though. And the game isn't doing particularily well in korea from what I understand, so updates might slow down/die completely at some point(still not very relevant for our version which is like 2years late though).

Cinge

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Always made me curious what would happen if a port died in its original country of release, but did well it NA/EU. I would assume as long as its making money the company would keep producing content for it.

Zaide

TLP Idealist
I like the idea of guild pvp etc but can't imagine playing an mmo without high end PvE content. I was pretty hesitant about the 24/6/4 style of bns at first too.