Black Desert

Palum

what Suineg set it to
I'd say it's definitely worth it. You'll want the horse whistle and you'll need the pet.

That said this game is going to be beyond frustrating if you don't want to figure stuff out so you may want to wait for a guest pass to check it out. Like NPC vendors that go to sleep and you're running around wowheading trying to find the guy then you realize there's a sign that says "will return" and realize it's the dead of night and you go oh...

Woolygimp

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Probably one of the best crafted worlds I've seen in an MMO. This is what Vanguard's world should have looked like. You see a castle in the distance and up on the ramparts there are soldiers fighting off hundreds of harpies.

Woolygimp

Draegan, do you really believe the autoattack for Giants isn't worth putting points into? I'm looking really hard at the tooltip, the increased range and damage seems pretty damn nice... and it's something we use quite a bit of.

I only see the need for Elastic Force (autoattack) as a builder, and then Raging Thunder as a Spender since it does SO much more damage than anything else. Even Fearsome Tyrant (RMG) and Frenzied Destroyer (down LMB) do pitiful damage compared to it.

I think going straight with autoattack + spin + crit is the way to go, with a couple points in the ultimate as another spender.

It's a simple build but effective. Why would you ever waste rage with Frenzied Destroyer and it's bleed? It is poop.

Autoattack does VERY respectable damage with points there, about 2/3 as much as a Frenzied spender.

Xaxius

Lord Nagafen Raider
This is what Vanguard's world should have looked like.
This a million times. I remember walking through New Targonor in Vanguard beta and thought how awesome it would look if it was ever populated. Well, this game does it. The cities in this game are the best I've ever seen in any MMO. The are bustling, NPCs have schedules, custom animations... it feels alive.

The world feels the same way too, as if how a hand-made world should feel like. Guild Wars 2 was the only other MMO I've ever seen that is similar to this level of quality.

Woolygimp

This a million times. I remember walking through New Targonor in Vanguard beta and thought how awesome it would look if it was ever populated. Well, this game does it. The cities in this game are the best I've ever seen in any MMO. The are bustling, NPCs have schedules, custom animations... it feels alive.

The world feels the same way too, as if how a hand-made world should feel like. Guild Wars 2 was the only other MMO I've ever seen that is similar to this level of quality.
And the game encourages nobody to ever log out. Between the AFKing and the workers traveling between the cities, the world definitely feels populated. Kind of sucks running down a road and having to shove through a bunch of people.
biggrin.png

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
So how does the pvp work in this exactly? Just guilds/factions fighting over land or objectives?

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea. Open world seems like it won't happen a lot and honestly with pops this outrageous before launch it's probably best that way. Every main camp would be freaking TM/SS zerg ffa if that were the case.

Guilds can basically take over nodes and stuff to get taxes from it. Not sure how that effects everyone yet but I know all the farms and random guard towers have guild ownership spots that are currently blank (I think first 30 days).

Woolygimp

Palum, what do you think about what I'm saying as far as pumping all of your SPs into 2-3 skills instead of spreading them out? Since very few abilities have long cooldowns, it seems better to min/max your damage and only use a handful of abilities instead of taking advantage of a lower damage more diverse toolset.

PvP changes all this because you need your status effects, but for PvE it's better to just pour on that AOE damage and be done with it.

Like as a Wizard, why waste an action freezing ONE mob when you can Lightning a bunch for half their health and stun them, and then immediately recast that same spell to finish them off.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Questions:
1. How's the game?
2. Available on Steam? If not, easiest way to get it.
3. Available for Mac (my PC has been acting up)?
4. min reqs for the game?
Since most the other guys who will respond are the people playing I will offer a different viewpoint - Get yourself a friend code before playing. I played about 20 hours in the last beta. I didn't enjoy it. I found combat to be a clunkier version of Blade and Soul. I found the quests and traveling uninteresting. Many things bothered me. Example - When you press space bar to jump, after your guy lands he has to stand still for a second. I'm an ADD jumper in MMO's so that drove me insane.

The game is perfectly fine for what it is. If you are in to crafting and open world sand box's the game does a lot of things great. It's certainly not for everyone.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I joined a 5 person party and got 3 levels in an hour to hit 28 in a really heavily camped area. I think high speed aoe with lots of people to force faster respawn way outweighs being alone to grind it seems.
I'm not saying leveling is slow, it's slow for me because I get distracted by all the other things I can do in the game. : )

I hadn't even realized that my quest tracker settings were set to show only the combat quest, and it's not that it filters them in the tracker, it filters them in the world so you don't see quest icon on NPC's head. I turn it on to show all of them, and had like 20 new appear in Velia alone gathering, processing, trading, etc. Then walking to Hidel, there were tons more on the way. I was missing like at least half the quests, if not 2/3 of them...they are everywhere. Of course none of them reward you with leveling XP. Just with contribution XP, energy XP, tools for gathering, some crafting materials.

I'm in no rush to get to 50...I am just enjoying the scenery, and taking my time.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Palum, what do you think about what I'm saying as far as pumping all of your SPs into 2-3 skills instead of spreading them out? Since very few abilities have long cooldowns, it seems better to min/max your damage and only use a handful of abilities instead of taking advantage of a lower damage more diverse toolset.

PvP changes all this because you need your status effects, but for PvE it's better to just pour on that AOE damage and be done with it.

Like as a Wizard, why waste an action freezing ONE mob when you can Lightning a bunch for half their health and stun them, and then immediately recast that same spell to finish them off.
It may depend on class but I think it's generally true. For instance I have an ability that goes from something like 2x .78 weapon damage strikes to 2x 2.1 + 1x 3.03 strikes or something in just one rank.

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
Oh yeah, fuck the Hidel Stablemaster for going on break during the night with all my mounts in the Hidel stable.
smile.png

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Draegan, do you really believe the autoattack for Giants isn't worth putting points into? I'm looking really hard at the tooltip, the increased range and damage seems pretty damn nice... and it's something we use quite a bit of.

I only see the need for Elastic Force (autoattack) as a builder, and then Raging Thunder as a Spender since it does SO much more damage than anything else. Even Fearsome Tyrant (RMG) and Frenzied Destroyer (down LMB) do pitiful damage compared to it. Once you get into the A rank the cost per skill is huge. I think Rank A of the skill is 20 something points.

I think going straight with autoattack + spin + crit is the way to go, with a couple points in the ultimate as another spender.

It's a simple build but effective. Why would you ever waste rage with Frenzied Destroyer and it's bleed? It is poop.

Autoattack does VERY respectable damage with points there, about 2/3 as much as a Frenzied spender.
Depends on what you want to do in the game. Elastic Force is a PVE tool. If you are PVEing a lot and don't think you'll dive deep in PVP, then yes it's worth it. In PVP you won't be using your auto attack much. You'll be diving in, pulling off a disruption combo and drinking WP pots.

You can eventually grind enough points to get everything, but that's a very long term goal.

Frenzied Destroyer is great for it's +AP buff. At level 6 it's 340% damage x2 + 5% max WP as damage, 100%crit, +16AP. Dual Smash only though.

Personally I am levleing Headbutt, Smack Down, Raging Thunder, Frenzied Destroyer. I'll have a few points here and there for grabs. As I get ready for PVP i'll be putting points in to Shrug Off too for mobility.

In any case, my theorycrafting is all based off of a PVP build, not a generalist PVE build.

Woolygimp

I'm back on my Wizard. As a Giant, I was always looking for a Wizard in my groups. I love the utility far too much, and the movement.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Since most the other guys who will respond are the people playing I will offer a different viewpoint - Get yourself a friend code before playing. I played about 20 hours in the last beta. I didn't enjoy it. I found combat to be a clunkier version of Blade and Soul. I found the quests and traveling uninteresting. Many things bothered me. Example - When you press space bar to jump, after your guy lands he has to stand still for a second. I'm an ADD jumper in MMO's so that drove me insane.

The game is perfectly fine for what it is. If you are in to crafting and open world sand box's the game does a lot of things great. It's certainly not for everyone.
Thanks! Think I may wind up trying this one out. I've been itching to play an MMO since Vanguard first game out (2007?) so this game seems like it's definitely the best one out there at the moment.

Woolygimp

Yeah, if you don't like running to the edge of a cliff and having your character tiptoe and try to balance on the edge, instead of just faceplanting on the ground below, this game isn't for you!

Will say that I've run off a few cliffs with the Berserker Charge though!
biggrin.png

xzi

Mouthbreather
I feel so behind without the pre-order but whatever at least now I got that explorers package.

Pro-tip you can turn all of your smaller potions into larger ones by yourself at the same time raising your alchemy , just go into processing and click on the one for alchemy and click your pots bam upgraded!

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
running to the edge of a cliff and having your character tiptoe and try to balance on the edge
Love that. this game has a lot of character.. also every time I go to Heidel I talk to the blacksmith so that I can hear him "hum" ride of the valkyries... hilarious...