Black Panther (2018)

khorum

Murder Apologist
Yes, this comic book back story must be fully logical and explainable, like all comic book settings and behavior.
Just sayin. If it WAS logical, then it means the Wokandans must have gotten that much richer and more advanced by selling all their neighbors as slaves to the Triangle Trade.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Yeah...I dunno. Shouldn't their spaceships look like flying thatched huts? Or Rhino shaped? Nothing in this movie lended any consistency and frankly was insulting to all Humans not just Africans. It's basically what if Compton, Detroit, NY, Cleveland, and Oakland were all tribes. IN AFRICA! They get to keep all their 'culture' but we will make it futuristic. And they get to keep their backwards attitude and we will make that the best way to govern.

Ritualistic combat between males. Dog barking. Yep. The future...

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Yeah...I dunno. Shouldn't their spaceships look like flying thatched huts? Or Rhino shaped? Nothing in this movie lended any consistency and frankly was insulting to all Humans not just Africans. It's basically what if Compton, Detroit, NY, Cleveland, and Oakland were all tribes. IN AFRICA! They get to keep all their 'culture' but we will make it futuristic. And they get to keep their backwards attitude and we will make that the best way to govern.

Ritualistic combat between males. Dog barking. Yep. The future...

I pictured that space ship as looking like Majora's Mask, if viewed from the bottom. It even had the ribbed edges, fairly tribal looking.

And the dog barking, that was super weird 'til I realized that that was Man-Ape and their tribe worship a gorilla god, not a panther. Gorillas also bark like that in dominance plays, don't they? However, they probably could have expained that better than just showing us one gorilla statue in a vista view.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Yes, this comic book back story must be fully logical and explainable, like all comic book settings and behavior.

Then the media should stop with all their stories about how uplifting and miraculous it is. Shit. I was just looking for a decent Marvel movie. Thor had me entertained for 2 hours.

I went to the very first public showing because of how good I hoped it would be. Instead I was confused who the heroes were. The guy who chased down his own father's killer with the intent to murder him? That's both their stories. BP failed but it wasn't from a lack of trying in Civil War. Then he has his own civil war. And after that offers to save the guy in favor of Black Supremecy before lecturing the world on building bridges instead of Trumps Wall.

Shit was asinine. On every level. And never once did they show you WHY these people are great just WHAT made them great: Vibranium.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
Best part of this thread is seeing lyrical's thumbanil next to the thread link.

khorum

Murder Apologist
And never once did they show you WHY these people are great just WHAT made them great: Vibranium.
I mean they kinda HAD to do that.

The Marvel Asian Superhero movie is gonna be super-boring. "What's your superpower?" "Oh I mastered differential calculus at 12 and graduated Harvard at 16."

• 5Worf
Reactions: 4 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
Oh yeah something about the ending credit and something made no damn sense.
I'm curious why Killmonger went through all the trouble stealing that vibranium axe from the museum and had Klaw set up with deal in Korea. He could of been killed Klaw and bring his body back to Wakandan without going through all that trouble.

Bucky was shown at the ending credits and the little Wakandan kids were calling him white wolf. So I'm guessing Bucky will be known as this superhero from now on? White Wolf (Hunter) (Earth-616)

Last edited:

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
So the audience score has this at 73 and critics 97. Iron man, Gotg, avengers all had 90s with both critics and audience.

• 2Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Marvel is anti-asian since they're owned by Disney.

As opposed to fox that features,blink, paylocke, jubes,deathstrike, silver samurai and a bunch of others.

Marvel has mantis and Ben kingsley

• 3Picard
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 3 users

spronk

FPS noob
Asian's don't need Disney, these are the top box office movies this weekend in China, the start of the lunar new year

Monster Hunt 2 - $142.6M
Detective Chinatown 2 - $103.4M
The Monkey King 3 - $69.1M
Operation Red Sea - $43.1M

A total box office draw that is 1.5x the size of the US box office weekend already. In a few decades every big blockbuster movie will be aimed at Chinese markets primarily. Black Panther doesn't even open until March 9th in China, will be interesting to see how it does.

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Asian's don't need Disney, these are the top box office movies this weekend in China, the start of the lunar new year

Monster Hunt 2 - $142.6M

A total box office draw that is 1.5x the size of the US box office weekend already. In a few decades every big blockbuster movie will be aimed at Chinese markets primarily. Black Panther doesn't even open until March 9th in China, will be interesting to see how it does.

This is going to bomb in China, there is no amount of poster magic they can do to hide the fact that this movie is full of black people. And the Chinese do not in the slightest like black folks.

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
Well, I went to see this today with the always lovely and charming Mrs. Haus....

She was expecting a lot of overt "look at how whitey destroyed the noble black people" narrative. That was definitely not present.

What I saw was :
A) Whitey wasn't really the problem as Klaue was dead half way the movie.
B) If you're saying that Wakanda is part of a narrative about Black culture then it was spot on... The very small group who were hyper-successful for reasons outside their control (i.e. a meteor here is a metaphor for being a rich athlete or musician right?) and the biggest thing oppressing the black people was the fact that the small group of successful ones didn't want to help their people as a race outside the insular boundaries of Wakanda. (insert something here about "we got ours! screw those still in the hood")
C) If you want to see even the small group with wealth and success destroy themselves just sit back and wait for all those normal human drivers to kick in and they'll start fighting among themselves.

So Kudos to Marvel for accurately depicting the whole paradigm in the form of a super hero story!

I should add that as a movie I was entertained, but I felt the pacing was awkward and story could have used better focus. CGI wasn't overdone/distracting until the climactic last fight scenes. 6/10 Did not keep me as entertained as Thor Ragnarok.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Laedrun

Molten Core Raider
Friend got good seats today, it was pretty good. 7.5/10

The biggest problem was building up Andy Serkis as a cool villain and then anti-climacticly throwing him in the trash, replacing him with the boring hood rat villain.

Sister, general chick, and man ape were good, I was glad it wasn’t a bunch of sjw crap.

Cinematography and sfx were top notch, pacing and editorial decisions were wishy-washy.

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler

Monster Hunt 2 - $142.6M

This weekend is one of the biggest of the year in China, maybe the biggest. Compare that to the best weekend of 2017 in the US for a fairer comparison.

Hollywood won't go full in on China as long as they get such a small percentage (25%) of the cut relative to the US and other countries.

A movie making 300 million here would have to make around 600 million there for it to even be equivalent, and that doesn't take into account an estimated 10% underreporting of grosses.

Last edited:

Randin

Trakanon Raider
Solid B-tier Marvel movie all around. Decent action, good supporting cast (I especially liked the sister), nice aesthetic, and didn’t go over the top with a “blacks fighting off white oppression” theme, which would’ve been an easy pit to fall into. Good movie, but not hitting the level of the greats.

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
So the audience score has this at 73 and critics 97. Iron man, Gotg, avengers all had 90s with both critics and audience.

You can probably chalk that up to the quirks of the RT system. If you look at the average rating in each category they're fairly comparable (currently 8.2/10 vs 4/5). Remember the rating range for an uptick in the critic score is larger than that for the audience score.

rhinohelix

<Gold Donor>
Solid B-tier Marvel movie all around. Decent action, good supporting cast (I especially liked the sister), nice aesthetic, and didn’t go over the top with a “blacks fighting off white oppression” theme, which would’ve been an easy pit to fall into. Good movie, but not hitting the level of the greats.

This. As indicated above, other than some really clunky lines (colonizer, bury me at sea, WHAZZZUPP, etc.) Black Asgard was good but not one of Marvel's transcendent best.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Welp I guess we can officially add 'Starting a civil war' to the list of 'Things I should probably have run past my wife before doing'. Hopefully Wakanda has advanced life extension tech as well, because angry man with dead parents isn't getting laid again this century ;p

I though this one was ok entertainment, decent fights, good effects, some decent humor ( although some of the jokes really fizzled ).

On the downside, it gave me a headache ( too loud ? ) and really, nothing in it makes any sense. My sympathy is all with monkey-king guy - his spiel before challenging is pretty spot-on if you think about it - main guy's family has a history of dubious decision making, his dad put his teenage daughter in charge of the entire' countries research program and his son in charge of protecting the nation, and on his very first mission ( protect the king at the UN ) he fails spectacularly. The daughter may actually be good at something, but seriously, what are the odds of that compared to crazy nepotism ? That one is probably worth more raised eyebrows than appointing Ivanka as the head of NASA.

You could make some arguments about the odds of competent administrators being selected via gladatorial combat, but I think main guy's actions on becoming King speak for themselves.