Black Panther (2018)

Valderen

Space Pirate
<Bronze Donator>
I just came back from seeing this. I loved it. Top tier for me, I really enjoyed it.

Disappointed in the bad CGI at times, expect more from Marvel.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Royal

Connoisseur of Exotic Pictures
And drop off will be interesting. BvS made 50.3% on the opening weekend, and dropped hard afterwards. Most MCU stuff sits at around 40% made on opening weekend, i.e. slower drop offs. And of course exec dream of making up to 70% or more beyond the opening weekend, as did The Dark Knight or Avengers, which Black Panther might be able to pull off with an A+ Cinemascore.

I would expect a pretty big drop in the second week (but hell I said a $170 million opening weekend sounded high a few days ago and with it looking like it will be close to $200M what do I know). It won't have the Thursday night preview numbers and the holiday on Monday propping up the Sunday numbers to help it along. I don't think it will be a BvS sized drop though (that was almost 70%). It does have some of the hallmarks of being a cultural event film so it may end up with better holds than you would typically see with a movie that opens as big as this one has. The calendar looks favorable for a few weeks as well, competition wise. But so did TLJ's and look at what Jumanji has ended up doing.

Annihilation is next week, A Wrinkle In Time (ugh, it looks bad though) 2 weeks later, Tomb Raider a month from now, Pacific Rim (ugh again) the following week, then Ready Player One after that. RPO is the standout in that list but BP would have made all of it's serious money by then either way.

• 1Like

Couchy

Molten Core Raider
The best part of this movie was that it at least seemed like they were backing off the over the top joke making. Avengers 2, Ragnarok, and GotG2, were just filled with way too much cheese. Feels like they saw how BvS was too serious so they went the complete opposite and made their last few movies way too silly.

That being said I liked it. Not the best Marvel movie, but it was still pretty cool. Very little social justice and white guilt shit. The song All the Stars that played during the credits was also tight.

7.5-8/10

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Merrith

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Man, I unfollowed Wil Wheaton on Facebook for calling this movie "flawless" and giving it a 5/5.

Torn between "It took you until now to unfollow Wil Wheaton" and "You were following Wil Wheaton on Facebook"?

• 7Worf
  • 5Solidarity
  • 4Like
Reactions: 15 users

DirkDonkeyroot

Blackwing Lair Raider
Disney won't do them any good and frankly I'd rather they not even try. China's movie preferences are about 20 years behind where they're at here currently. The sorts of movies that would have done well here in the 90's are what seem to break through over there.

You want a good example of what the Chinese fawn over in an action flick, check out wolf warrior and wolf warrior 2.

And I'll say it again, simply because I live among them. This is gonna bomb in China, they really don't like Wakandans.

• 3Worf

Cybsled

I watched Fifth Element like 100000 times on DVD/TV, but only once in the theater.

Annihilation is next week, A Wrinkle In Time (ugh, it looks bad though) 2 weeks later, Tomb Raider a month from now, Pacific Rim (ugh again) the following week, then Ready Player One after that. RPO is the standout in that list but BP would have made all of it's serious money by then either way.

Annihilation is one of those films that will rely heavily on word of mouth to boost attendance. I don't see Wrinkle in Time doing well...obscure source material fantasy films haven't fared too well as of late. Tomb Raider might do OKish. RPO could go either way...they've been advertising the shit out of the movie and you'll probably have a strong nostalgia/nerd presence for opening week, but that 2nd week dropoff could be big if the film itself is too shallow.

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
I watched Fifth Element like 100000 times on DVD/TV, but only once in the theater.

Annihilation is one of those films that will rely heavily on word of mouth to boost attendance. I don't see Wrinkle in Time doing well...obscure source material fantasy films haven't fared too well as of late. Tomb Raider might do OKish. RPO could go either way...they've been advertising the shit out of the movie and you'll probably have a strong nostalgia/nerd presence for opening week, but that 2nd week dropoff could be big if the film itself is too shallow.
RPO gives me a Sucker Punch (minus bewbs) vibe and we know how well that went.

And lol at Chinese not liking Wakandans. I lol/ragequit when Asians join the white bashing due to racism bit, because racism is like their cultural foundation.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Worf

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
I found all of the technology was distracting and served no purpose in the movie. I think it would have been better to make the exact same movie in a medieval setting or something like that.
Villain was a real letdown after the hype I had heard. Exact clone of the hero except wants to destroy the world, wheeee. W'Kabi switching sides constantly was really bad.
Thought it was hilarious how in the mid credit scene they talked about how they wanted to lead the world by example, right after they just had a civil war caused by some outsider coming in and having one of the main tribes go 'ok yeah ill wage war on my friends for you'. Some example!
Klaw was the best part, he was hilarious. Okoye & M'Baku were pretty good too. All in all a pretty average movie.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
You want a good example of what the Chinese fawn over in an action flick, check out wolf warrior and wolf warrior 2.

And I'll say it again, simply because I live among them. This is gonna bomb in China, they really don't like Wakandans.
it's not also that wakandans are putrid, they also all look the same. how are you gonna follow a story where one wakandan looks like the other wakandan? which one is the bad wakandan? they all look the same!!!

• 2Worf
  • 1Picard
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 3 users

McCheese

SW: Sean, CW: Crone, GW: Wizardhawk
I was expecting so much from this with all the hype. I went to a showing at midnight on Saturday, and I had trouble staying awake for the final 1/3 of the film. The villain was quite possibly the worst Marvel villain yet, which is really impressive. They took the villian-as-a-copy-of-the-hero pattern they've followed in the past to the extreme.

And the special effects during the final fight scene? Looked like some shit off of the Syfy channel.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like

Jozu

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I dont understand the CGI thing in Hollywood.

Some of it is due to my own ignorance, as I only know about a handful of studios and what they have done etc, but why is it that a movie like District 9, that came out in what, 2009? have better special effects than a 200 million dollar comic book movie that came out in 2018?

Weta does incredible work (I know they are the people who did the CGI for District 9, Prometheus and many others) so I dont understand why some movies have incredible CGI and others dont, if you have the money. It could just be the overall artistic direction that has an influence, or the way the scene is shot etc, but some of the CGI in this movie was just fucking terrible. Meanwhile, the mech suit, and wide shots of the spaceship in District 9 are some of the most incredible CGI I have ever seen and it was produced almost a decade ago.

I mean, the fucking Matrix had better CGI than Black Panther, and that movie came out in like 19 ninety fucking nine.

• 1Solidarity
  • 1Like
  • 1Worf

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, saw this last night and it's pretty solidly the worst movie I've seen in a long time, and I saw fucking Peter Rabbit.

The action scenes were a mess, the cgi was terrible most of the time, the characters were one dimensional and made nonsensical choices often, the story was predictable and bland... it just wasn't good.

• 3Worf
  • 3Picard
  • 1Like
Reactions: 6 users

Kreugen

Vyemm Raider
I don't think I could make it through it without constantly referencing Coming to America.

Will watch safely at home where I don't have to look around first.

• 3Worf
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 4 users

Zweischneid

Molten Core Raider
Movies with black leads clearly have a disadvantage in Asien markets, but some buck the trend. Will Smith in his glory days was as big in China as everywhere else and stuff like MIB III, I am Legend and I Robot rocked the chinese box office. If this is sold as Marvel-stuff and not as "black politics", it may do fine in China, especially with the good buzz it's been (mostly) getting.

And even if it bombs in China, intl. could still be strong. It famously did more in the UK in two days than Justice League did in the UK in its entire runtime.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Springbok

Karen
<Gold Donor>
Went into this pretty blind (save a few unsolicited celeb reviews on twitter) and had pretty low expectations - somehow, this managed to disappoint even me. Take away the racial aspect for 1 second, and it's just objectively a bad movie. Not terrible, but certainly one of if not the absolute worst of the Marvel films.

Plot - Retarded

Writing - Retarded

Acting - The acting in this was straight to DVD bad. Not one person, including Martin Freeman can feel good about their performance in this movie. Serkis was very good, but they fucking ruined his character - enough said.

CGI - Uh?

World Building - Uh? Uuuuuh? WUT?

It was a bland movie with a fucking horrible plot, poorly acted, poorly directed and is somehow being received like it's avant garde cinema. I can think of not one single aspect of this movie that they nailed. Like, Dr Strange was a really mediocre film, but I can at least point to a good performance from a few of the actors, or decent fight scenes etc. Even the music in this was horrific - and hardly ever captured the mood/moment the director was trying to capture. I'd be shocked if they gave this guy another movie, but I guess it's doing well in the theater? I've come to expect a whole lot better from Marvel, and this was a let down. I guess the one thing I can say for the movie is it didn't slap you over the face with the racial stuff - it's there, but not annoying really. Every other aspect of the movie sucked though, and the fighting scenes were straight out of some Netflix bullshit.

• 3Like
  • 2Picard
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Dalven

Saor Alba
<Donor>
I dont understand the CGI thing in Hollywood.

Some of it is due to my own ignorance, as I only know about a handful of studios and what they have done etc, but why is it that a movie like District 9, that came out in what, 2009? have better special effects than a 200 million dollar comic book movie that came out in 2018?

Weta does incredible work (I know they are the people who did the CGI for District 9, Prometheus and many others) so I dont understand why some movies have incredible CGI and others dont, if you have the money. It could just be the overall artistic direction that has an influence, or the way the scene is shot etc, but some of the CGI in this movie was just fucking terrible. Meanwhile, the mech suit, and wide shots of the spaceship in District 9 are some of the most incredible CGI I have ever seen and it was produced almost a decade ago.

I mean, the fucking Matrix had better CGI than Black Panther, and that movie came out in like 19 ninety fucking nine.

This is because District 9 is just generally fucking incredible.

I've not got round to watching this yet, but one organisation I book films for are more than a tad snobbish in their film tastes. The fact they're gushing over this says everything I need to know.

• 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Nola

Trakanon Raider
The fights scenes were disappointing. The first one in the jungle was waaay too dark. I couldn't tell what the hell was going on. Then the final BP/Killmonger scene was lackluster, too much CG. Black Panther in Civil War was a badass and there weren't near as much CG with him in it as in BP. He actually kicked ass in CW. I was expecting more of a CW black panther. The only fight scenes were decent for me are the ones for the throne of Wakanda.

• 1Like