Black Sails

spronk

FPS noob
poor vane, I don't see things going well for him in Nassau. he's burned too many bridges too many times

Blunt Talk aired on Starz this past year and is great, Patrick Stewart (TNG) stars. Skip Survivor's Remorse, a really boring show about a basketball star and instead watch Ballers on HBO, way funnier and has The Rock. And yeah, if you didn't watch Spartacus now is a great time to do it.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I started watching Spartacus. I heard that first season isn't all that and I agree. Much worse than the first season of Black Sails - which I also didn't think was that great. Over halfway through the first season now. I have a feeling it's about to get a lot better now that his wife is out of the picture.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
I started watching Spartacus. I heard that first season isn't all that and I agree. Much worse than the first season of Black Sails - which I also didn't think was that great. Over halfway through the first season now. I have a feeling it's about to get a lot better now that his wife is out of the picture.
The first half of the season is a little bit of a slow start, especially the pilot. Once you get past ep 5-6 its all amazing. Very character driven and you definitely need a bit to invest. Still my #1 fav show of all time.

uncognito

Trakanon Raider
I thought this episode(9) was pretty shitty. no violence, no tits, and tons of Eleanor who i hate.
But it looks like this was just a long setup episode for nonstop badass shit next week.

Khalan

Trakanon Raider
Dude, fucking felt bad for the end of Vane but hopefully blackbeard comes rolling in now to save the day. Preview for finale looks amazing.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Yeah that was fucking sweet. This show is so good. I wonder many more seasons they can get outta this before it gets out of hand. There can only be so many more threats to Nassau.

khorum

Murder Apologist
Well we're getting into Treasure Island territory by next season.

They've already shown the "black spot" and buried the treasure. All they really need is to establish who Billy Bones is and introduce Jimmy Hawkins and John Silver's parrot and we're in the novel.

spronk

FPS noob
Treasure Island (fictional, remember) is ~20 years past these events taking place around 1745, we are nowhere close. The age of piracy is very short really, basically Hornigold / Blackbeard / Vane / Jennings establish Nassau in 1713 and pretty much all pirates involved are dead by 1722. We are in the year 1719 or 1720, the show has moved around a lot of events since quite a few people still in the show died actually before Charles Vane but since it merges a fictional cast (Treasure Island) with RL pirates I don't think anyone cares that much.

But definitely a LOT of treasure island references this season, from Billy Bones writing up the black spot note to the buried treasure stuff to Flint and Silver talking about fear of each other. The buried treasure though is not what they are after in the TI novel, since that was at least 20x more money than what Rackham had.

spoilers for RL pirates
Blackbeard died 2 years before Vane fighting a British pirate hunter. Calico Jack Rackham is executed a year before Vane in Port Royal, where Vane really died (neither died in Nassau). Mary Read should be in the show next season (unless she is Max, which I could see happening) and she and Anne Bonny are captured along with Rackham but are pregnant and spared execution, Read dies in prison and no one knows what happened to Anne Bonny. We should also see John Roberts aka Bartholomew show up next season, he is the last of the great pirate captains, his death by a pirate hunter in 1722 is considered the end of the golden age of piracy.

The Spanish had one final attack on Nassau which no doubt will be the finale for next season, it pretty much went poorly for all involved.

Recommend the book The Republic of Pirates, excellent historical non fiction account that starts up about 40 years earlier and explores the entire period.

I wish I could draw this is damn good
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/Ceh5JPPW4AAKjF8.jpg:large

also eleanor apparently is fluent in spanish, damn she is hot
Hannah New ( - YouTube

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
Plowed through the three seasons over the last couple weeks. My god what great TV.

Ya'll put vikings on the same level as this? I do, but noticed the vikings thread has no play (i'm saving season 4 so I can power through).