Blade Runner 2

Column_sl

shitlord
Don?t tell the replicants, but Blade Runner 2 will hit theaters on January 12, 2018. Ryan Gosling and Harrison Ford star in the Denis Villeneuve-directed movie, which picks up ?several decades after the conclusion of the 1982 original.?

The news was revealed in an official press release. Below is much more coverage on the project, which is based on an idea from Ridley Scott and Hampton Fancher. Fancher, who co-wrote the original film, wrote this one too, along with Michael Green.
Have mixed feelings on this one, On one hand I feel like Blade Runner is a stand alone movie, and really doesn't need another film. It is perfect as it is and has a very direct message.

On the other hand this is one of my favorite directors of the last 6 years, and Ryan did a good job in Drive so who knows.

Then I think about what Ridley did with Prometheus ,and I'm back to fuck this movie.

Jait

Molten Core Raider
They could do something brilliant, that's totally "next level" and concludes with a post-credit cameo by Hannah and Hauer who are emperors of a machine race beyond the boundaries of Human understanding, crying at our imprisonment.

But more than likely it'll feature a grizzled bored-as-fuck Han Solo and eye-candy Gossling to bring in the ladies with some nods to PKD.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, I've been wondering if they can capture the same feel/vibe as the first one since I first saw the rumors a while back. The bad part is that it might be really hard to match the first one. Vangelis and Syd Mead were both instrumental IMHO, but I haven't heard of either of them being involved in the sequel (and Syd Mead said in one interview that they rarely use the same people and I don't think he's been asked).

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
I am just going to pretend this movie never ever happened if its not awesome.

ohkcrlho

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Damn....so many years discussing this stupid idea of a blade runner sequel, i really thought this would never happen.

Szlia

I'll be cautiously optimistic about that one. For me there is a big challenge: designing a future for Blade Runner's future. By that I mean that it should evolve from that 1982 idea of the future shown in Blade Runner and not be based on a 2016 idea of the future. That being said, the themes of identity, memories and (im)mortality could blend well with social media.

Column_sl

shitlord
It surprises me they didn't get Refn to direct this film who works with Ryan all the time.

And they didn't cast Jake as the lead since they are working with Villeneuve instead.

I think this is more of a Refn type of film, but Villeneuve is really good with the detective stories so hopefully its a good pulp fiction with everything else just in the background.

The first film at it's base is just a hard boiled detective noir with the Man vs Man, Man vs God theme in the background.

Caliane

I'll be cautiously optimistic about that one. For me there is a big challenge: designing a future for Blade Runner's future. By that I mean that it should evolve from that 1982 idea of the future shown in Blade Runner and not be based on a 2016 idea of the future. That being said, the themes of identity, memories and (im)mortality could blend well with social media.
We do have some already. Blade runner was 1982.

so, along the way, we have Akira, shadowrun/cyberpunk, system shock, Syndicate, exo squad, Ghost in the Shell, Strange days, the matrix, Desus ex, Battlestar Galatica 2004, Mass Effect, Ergo Proxy, Deus ex human rev, Metal Gear, etc. (picked ones, I thought stuck closer to the themes and feeling. While something like deadspace, or pacific rim, not so much. Although, given the tech, you can totally imagine synths being a thing in Pac rim. or even Fallout 4, with its synths/replicants.)

so in a way we already have a good number of spiritual successors, over the years, and we can see how the idea has evolved.
you could take these and build off them. or, you could take a chance and go full new direction. (good luck with that)

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Anything will beat the abomination that was Frank Herbert's bastard kid Herbert the Lesser writing Dune 7 with Leto riding a giant fucking sandworm through the Machine World...

Fuck...

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
And it might still might be doing better than James Cameron finally realizing that he might never get around to directing Battle Angel (Gunnm) in his lifetime, and handing it off to Robert Rodriguez...

At least Cameron is planning on producing it, I guess?

iannis

Musty Nester
the only way I'll be content with this movie is if the explore mercerism in it. That was lacking in the original.

If they do anything else there was no reason to call it blade runner and to muddy PKD's memory. Not that it -has- to be a bad movie, it might be a perfectly fine movie. But call it something else.

Column_sl

shitlord
Watched Sicario last night, it was definitely up there with Prisoners.

It's pretty clear we are getting another detective story out of this one which I'm pretty excited about if Ridley wasn't involved.

Erronius

Macho Ma'am
<Gold Donor>
the only way I'll be content with this movie is if the explore mercerism in it. That was lacking in the original.

If they do anything else there was no reason to call it blade runner and to muddy PKD's memory. Not that it -has- to be a bad movie, it might be a perfectly fine movie. But call it something else.
I kind of agree with you, but part of me feels that it would be near impossible to stay true to the books while being a successful movie for the masses.

I'd be fine with a different title, though.