Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Titan killed Blizzard. I can't wait for the tell all story. It'll be the last great thing to come out of Blizzard.

• 4Like
  • 1Worf
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Shit even the Furor accusations touched on Titan. He was vehemently screaming about its development during Blizzon in private suites breaking the NDA while boozed up while talking to other executives at Blizzard. it was cited by the witness as "a heated argument about Titan"

He aint scream loud enough to save it.

The steak was lodged in his throat from earlier that evening. If he had gotten that drink of water, Titan would have shipped.

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Bondurant

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
5sa9i50sleg71.png

• 1Like
  • 1Mother of God
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
HOTS is universally rejected by every single MOBA player ever.
I really hated the gimmick objectives on each map.

So in MOBAs I like focusing on my lane, pushing the creeps, last hitting, poking the enemy, looking for opportunities to score a kill or destroy a tower.

I'm not the most skilled so I try to put down wards, watch other lanes for missing enemies/gank opportunities and hit static objectives like dragon or baron - but I often miss some of these.

My point is that there are things I have my attention on and since I'm not a pro there's slightly too much going on for me already.

But in HOTS every so often a timer goes off and I need to forget all the stuff I've been focused on and go into a mineshaft or some shit to now do a bonus objective which is often total chaos.

Why? It's like you are playing Chess then an alarm goes off and you need to smash open a pinyata blindfolded and whoever does it first gets an extra queen.

• 4Like
  • 3Worf
Reactions: 6 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Titan killed Blizzard. I can't wait for the tell all story. It'll be the last great thing to come out of Blizzard.
Putting their top talent on Titan and meanwhile letting the second string run their cash cow WoW is a prime example for the "Ship of Theseus" gone wrong.

• 1Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I'd love for the exact quote Furor was screaming about Titan-- he definitely knew something was going wrong with the project. The timeline puts it near the demise of the project.

To be a fly on the wall that night...

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Everything points to it going the way EQ did, Go FTP while a skeleton crew keeps pumping out live expansions, while most of the income stream in the next few years is going to come from classic and TLPs. It's why they hired Holly for her experience in running them presumably. Maybe these boards aren't the most representative, but between here and the EQ subreddit the TLPs seem to gather way more interest than live EQ does and I wouldn't be surprised if TLPs have been the main moneymaker for the last few years.

WoW peaked long ago. That lightning in a bottle was caught once but it's obvious its best times are long behind it. But that doesn't mean you can't keep making money off people reliving (or dare I say it, enjoying) those golden years. Many musicians do (and some are equally grumpy that one song they made 30 years ago is still their main source of fame and income, while no one cares about their more recent stuff)

• 2Like
  • 1Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
I really hated the gimmick objectives on each map.

So in MOBAs I like focusing on my lane, pushing the creeps, last hitting, poking the enemy, looking for opportunities to score a kill or destroy a tower.

I'm not the most skilled so I try to put down wards, watch other lanes for missing enemies/gank opportunities and hit static objectives like dragon or baron - but I often miss some of these.

My point is that there are things I have my attention on and since I'm not a pro there's slightly too much going on for me already.

But in HOTS every so often a timer goes off and I need to forget all the stuff I've been focused on and go into a mineshaft or some shit to now do a bonus objective which is often total chaos.

Why? It's like you are playing Chess then an alarm goes off and you need to smash open a pinyata blindfolded and whoever does it first gets an extra queen.

It's a waste because the heroes are mostly well-designed and several are decent fun. The combat is servicable enough.

There was a lack of dopamine from beating a team, finishing a nexus. You didn't get the same rush from ending a game you get from Leagues or DOTA 2.

We tried to make it work with the objectives, but the lack of dopamine hits and meaningful victory just left us feeling empty compared to their competitors in the marketplace. We didn't feel like we had achieved anything. Something rang hollow with HOTS. Whether it was a symptom of the communist design philosophy, I can't say for sure. I just know accomplishments, specifically the final phase of a match, lacked the feeling of reward on par with DOTA 2 or League of Legends.

• 3Like

Goonsquad Officer
Man, I wish they would have just made lots of sc2 content and expansions rather than trying to circle jerk an esport into existence.

• 1Worf

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
I wonder how much revenue WoW has generated over its lifetime. It hit $10 billion 6 or 7 years ago I think, not sure they’ll ever let their star whore retire. The ftp prediction will eventually come true, and they’ll parode the money stuffed corpse around until they’ve fucked every last penny out.

• 1Worf

Ravishing

Uninspiring Title
<Bronze Donator>
Back to the OW news, I can't imagine the shitstorm they'd be in if they actually took a hiatus or closed down the league.
Wasn't each franchise slot 50M minimum?
Some teams are still in the process of building stadiums and shit.

• 1Mother of God

Big Phoenix

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Back to the OW news, I can't imagine the shitstorm they'd be in if they actually took a hiatus or closed down the league.
Wasn't each franchise slot 50M minimum?
Some teams are still in the process of building stadiums and shit.

Anyone who spent $50 million on a OW team then spent $50+ on a stadium for said team is a fucking idiot.

• 8Like
  • 1Solidarity
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 9 users

Flobee

Vyemm Raider
Blizzard isn't the only publicly traded company being pillaged for everything its worth. We won't see anything of quality coming out of a big company for the foreseeable future. Activist investors are looting everything while the monetary system is in its death spiral. Private companies are the last hope for quality content in any arena, but especially gaming

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
And anyone that thinks Activision isn't the biggest part of problem didn't play Destiny 2. Destiny 2 was fucking horrible when Activision was calling the shots and has been so much better since Bungie was let go on their own.

• 9Like
Reactions: 8 users

Sieger

Trakanon Raider
i dunno, WoW always felt like carebear Everquest to me, but a lot of people liked that kind of gameplay and it wasnt time intensive, when i quit EQ i could play a few hours of WoW and feel like i was making progress, where in EQ it took you a few hours just to learn how to do stuff and venture outside of your home city. they should have been able to keep innovating and making the game more fun and interesting.
A lot of people that haven't played a lot of MMOs since the early 2000s often repeat the claim about WoW being carebear EQ, but it doesn't really hold up to any serious scrutiny. EQ was carebear EQ when WoW launched. There were basically three (design) things that made early EQ brutal: big penalties for dying, huge time sinks to advance your character, and open world raid targets meaning you could be called on to raid anytime 24/7/365. There were additionally a few other things that made early EQ hard that weren't really intentional--frequently broken encounter design, poor gameplay bugs, long load times, etc.

By the time WoW launched EQ had basically scaled down all of those big three things that made it brutal. WoW launched end of 2004, when Omens of War was in swing. In Omens of War like 90% of the relevant raid content (and 100% of the top end raid content) was in private instances. You'd never need to run them at 3am on a work night. As for time sinks, those were still around but things like base leveling had been increased in speed quite a bit by level 70. There had been some exp revamps, and most importantly is the playerbase was mature and the known "best leveling paths" were second nature, everyone had PL toons etc. Finally the death penalty had been significantly mitigated, they introduced Shadowrest in early 2004, a zone off of Plane of Knowledge where you could go and hail an NPC and it would summon your corpses--from anywhere in the game world, and let you rez them. No more corpse runs, anywhere.

In terms of actual difficulty, the first tier of WoW raiding (Molten Core) was mechanically more difficult than any content EQ had ever released to that point (and MC was a joke). The second tier of WoW raiding (BWL) had more complex mechanics than you saw in EQ until probably TSS or later. By BC the curve was even more extreme, there's BC fights that are harder than the hardest EQ fights that have ever been done (i.e. Mearatas, Triune God, some of the VoA Sepulcher fights, some of the Tier 2 TBL fights etc.) EQ hit a certain wall with its engine and what the game can actually do, that limits its technical complexity to a difficult level somewhere between Normal and Heroic mode raids in modern WoW.

• 4Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Furry

WoW Office
<Gold Donor>
A lot of people that haven't played a lot of MMOs since the early 2000s often repeat the claim about WoW being carebear EQ, but it doesn't really hold up to any serious scrutiny.
When I played EQ, wow launched during gates. There wasn't a high end raiding guild in everquest that wasn't losing people to WOW drain during gates and hearing the hype. Say what you want about the shithole that was gates, but care bear is about as far from accurate a description as you can get. Omens in particular felt care bear because of how nut-slamming gates was.

I think the truth is a more nuanced approach. The general gameplay in wow was more care bear and forgiving for the masses, but there was definitely very hard challenges for those that were looking for them. It was much better made in comparison to EQ's incompetence. Wow had a bit more at both ends, to bring the unwashed masses in and then have them aim to aspire to things. Wow over time just became way too formulaic and lost a lot of its life.

• 1Like

Cybsled

WoW wasn't carebear EQ - it was a less shitty EQ, which is why the vast majority of us abandoned EQ for WoW. "Carebear" was just a term to mask insecurity about continuing to play a shit game

• 3Like
  • 1Pants on Fire!
Reactions: 3 users