Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It would be nice to have an AH in PoE, but with it would also come with its own problems. Like more market manipulation by all the RMT that exists in the game.
I'll take market manipulation any day of the week versus a market not existing, being shut out of the market completely, or the market being such a fucking pain in the ass to interact with that it might as well be the first problem.

• 4Like
Reactions: 3 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
I'll take market manipulation any day of the week versus a market not existing, being shut out of the market completely, or the market being such a fucking pain in the ass to interact with that it might as well be the first problem.
Ive palyed plenty of leagues and never had problem with trades. Trade in poe is not a game problem but a shitty players problem. AH would get rid of that for sure. Having a middleman would definitely make it better but it wont happen. St Chris is adamant about not adding one so unless tencent steps in and makes him, its never going to happen.... Well I cant say never, but not in the forseable future.

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
D3 cinematic were rather uninspired, and the boss popping its head up every 30 seconds to tell you how much he was going to beat you up really was just tiresome. It was the first blizz game where I really though they fucked it up, and was definitely the point where I started getting off the train.

On skype group call for D3 launch, we start playing. 4 of us-- enough social dynamic to carry a bad game even, right? It's all about pals to play with.

68 minutes a voice breaks "I'm sorry guys, I can't do this" *SKYPE HANGUP* dropped the group and the call without any indication or warning. Never heard from him again. Man down.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
From memory in D3 it wasnt just the AH that sucked but along with it was the loot that fucking sucked. Didnt they bring in some "loot experts" to fix the loot int hat game?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
From memory in D3 it wasnt just the AH that sucked but along with it was the loot that fucking sucked. Didnt they bring in some "loot experts" to fix the loot int hat game?
the game failed to tug on D2 heartstrings at all so they had to hire a D2 expert to try to repair it. i forgot about that. so many fumbles. then the deleted and cancelled expac/class was another huge deathblow. They cancelled an entire new class abruptly after teasing it.

"I'm sorry guys, I can't do it" is how I'll always remember D3.

• 1Like

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
AO, AC, Shadowbane, DAoC. All these games had things that I fondly remember. I dont remember shit about WoW.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
AO, AC, Shadowbane, DAoC. All these games had things that I fondly remember. I dont remember shit about WoW.
The thing I remeber most about WoW was when the PvP battlegrounds released. In the beginning days of those was the most fun I had in WoW.

• 4Like

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
1628794087353.png

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Pathetic

Asshat wormie

2023 Asshat Award Winner
<Gold Donor>
The thing I remeber most about WoW was when the PvP battlegrounds released. In the beginning days of those was the most fun I had in WoW.
True. Old school AV was the bomb and briefly reminded me of DAoC frontier zerg skirmishes.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
There was no smart loot, everything was random drop wasn't even likely to be gear that your character could equip. Item level crushed everything so if it wasn't ilvl 62 or 63 then it was crap. They eventually added in the 5 stack Nephalem Valor system by killing elites and bosses but that pidgenholed players into specific routes to get a 5 stack before a chapter boss kill. Attack Speeds were higher values originally but got nerfed down to the specific ranges we have now at some point. Tyrael helper in Act 4 got nerfed.

Then they tried standardizing with the xpac, tried to do a crafting system with every named in the game dropping a different mat which resulted in certain ones being checkpoint abused and farmed to hell and back. Adventure mode was a good addition but then rift rift rift became the only viable option. Rotating bonus bounty caches which bugged on Act 3/4 all the time, etc etc.

There's been truckloads of dumb loot systems in D3 start to finish.

• 1Worf
  • 1Like

Fucker

Log Wizard
Loot sucked and the entire thing revolved around the AH. They wanted to monetize everything and did so in the worst way possible.

• 1Like
  • 1Worf

wat

Golden Knight of the Realm
I was trying to 'warn' by buddy about this. The way they are using Classic is only going to work once or twice more. People will play WOTLK Classic because that's ultimately what they wanted all along anyway. Who the fuck is going to play Cataclysm Classic? They could treat it like LoY and merge it with MoP classic, but after that, the ride ends and they're going to have to start over with new classic servers. Enter Holly.

It also doesn't help that they don't have a good way to monetize the 'new server' rush like Daybreak does. When a new TLP launches, people spend a lot of money on bags, xp pots, krono, etc. all on top of their pay sub. Just adding a tbc pass and mount caused their audience to rebel against the game.

TLPs work for EQ because the game is basically on life support and us TLP weirdos will come back again and again desperate to wring whatever nostalgia we can out of the game.

Cata will be the big hump they need to get over. There's enough fond memories of MoP and Legion that people will look forward to them. And there's already been a push that WoD wasn't THAT bad, it just had a content drought and if you condensed it all into a year or a year and a half it would be pretty good. But Cata? I don't think anyone has fond memories of Cata, if they could blast through Cata they would probably be good till Legion.

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
This. I mean, I "remember" WoW, but outside shit like US first pre-nerf Al'ar kills, I don't remember dick. And it's one of the ONLY "old-school" MMOs that I hold literally zero nostalgia for.

• 1Solidarity

Rhanyn

Blackwing Lair Raider
Diablo 3 on release was terrible, I watched one of my close friends have a meltdown because of how bad it was compared to how hyped they were. He wouldn't shut up about the game for months before it came out, Diablo 2 was THE game that got him gaming, so he was cheerleading hard. Three of us took off a few days from work to play together, it only took me maybe 4 hours for the magic to wear off. My friend Karl was a case study in self manipulation for 3 days, it was like listening to a black guy with nothing to lose beg for pussy they had zero chance of getting. Dude literally had a manic episode over how disappointing that game was, complete with an epic sweeping speech on how it symbolized the downfall of society and the end of civilization.

• 2Mother of God
  • 1Worf
  • 1Faggotry
Reactions: 4 users

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
1628794705790.png

1628794809200.png

1628794758873.png

That last bit "shifted incentive toward something besides adventure/slaying demons". Exactly.

Chris

Potato del Grande
D3 cinematic were rather uninspired, and the boss popping its head up every 30 seconds to tell you how much he was going to beat you up really was just tiresome. It was the first blizz game where I really though they fucked it up, and was definitely the point where I started getting off the train.
Foolish <title>, my minion X is going to destroy you. You defeated X? No matter, you'll never defeat Y. Y has fallen? I'll deal with you myself!

Repeat for every Diablo 3 boss and every World of Warcraft boss in Legion

Also don't forget the classic
Diablo: "Tyrael, get ready to face your former Lieutenant!"
Izual: "Haha I am your former Lieutenant!"
Tyrael: "That was my former Lieutenant..."

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE

They made it an entire SJW point to kill Cain with evil purple fairy lady monster and replace with his emo looking daughter? Or? I dunno what she was.

It's rampant at that company since their acquisition and high cringe material. Maybe they think it isnt obvious when it's hacked together and forced in or just don't care (that'd make 2 of us, good luck to them).

Nirgon

YOU HAVE NO POWER HERE
Loot sucked and the entire thing revolved around the AH. They wanted to monetize everything and did so in the worst way possible.

You mean you don't want to trade the items you spent 60 hours farming for "a couple popcorns and some drinks with friends"?

Lol remember that?

The fucking mind blower, is all they had to do was not do this shit. As long as they didn't change anything and start injecting feminism and God knows what conditioning crap into their games, this wouldn't be happening.

• 1Like

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
The feeling going around at the time was that in order to make loot valuable, it had to be extremely rare. Such that if you wanted good gear, you weren't expecting to get it on your character, but that you'd have to get something valuable and flip it on the AH to buy stuff that was good for you or just grind money / drop real money on it.

I don't know how close to reality that ended up being because I was never a big D2/D3 person, but I know the feeling in my friend groups was that everyone felt kind of like plebs not getting anything good and that instead of playing the game to get good shit/fun drops, you'd have to just buy it from someone else. REAL FUN EXPERIENCE in a looter.