Blizzard dies and Bobby rides

Abigailicious

Lord Nagafen Raider
It's the whole patrician class of professional board members who exist solely to make sure they stay on top of the pecking order. There's not a goddamn CEO or board member on this planet that is actually worth a damn...they know if they start turning on each other it's only a matter of time before the illusion is fully dispelled.
But they went to Ivy League schools! Their parents bribed a LaCrosse coach to get them in! SATs don't matter! Fuck the Asian kids, our idiot rich brats must get SJW degrees so they can be ignorant commisars!

Chris

Potato del Grande
No, remember the discussion a few pages ago?

Huge companies NEED overpaid Jewish men to make safe short term choices once a quarter, then play golf, while screwing their company's reputation and profits long term.

It's just how Capitalism works, look at Activision's profits lol.

• 2Moron
  • 1Picard
Reactions: 2 users

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Bobby Kotick has already been kicked out of 109 companies, let's make it 110!!

• 1Seriously?
Reactions: 1 user

Kirun

Buzzfeed Editor
<Gold Donor>
It's the whole patrician class of professional board members who exist solely to make sure they stay on top of the pecking order. There's not a goddamn CEO or board member on this planet that is actually worth a damn...they know if they start turning on each other it's only a matter of time before the illusion is fully dispelled.
People who think, "LOL CEOs DO NUTHING!!!" are people I know that have never had a real job in their life.

My inputs as Mindless_Drone_01 matter, I'm smarter than them all, and without me..they'd just hire somebody in India/China/Mexico, but STILL!! I matter!!

• 3Like
  • 2Truth!
Reactions: 4 users

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Delusion. C-Suite and Executive Leadership spend their time on strategy and direction. Among other things like finding funding when necessary. The rank and file make it happen absolutely, but until you get into leadership above the normal people manager you're way closer to just doing the day to day than driving the company 1 year 2 years or more out.

That is why you have Executives and C-Suite.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
No, remember the discussion a few pages ago?

Huge companies NEED overpaid Jewish men to make safe short term choices once a quarter, then play golf, while screwing their company's reputation and profits long term.

It's just how Capitalism works, look at Activision's profits lol.
At times I feel like you're intentionally being slow or something. Look, you dont even need to know about the corporate world to make it make sense to yourself. A cashier at Kroger isnt going to be able to run the f'n store at the drop of a hat. Much less is he going to be able to control the territory or even the franchise.

That comic plays on both sides and is actually pretty good. You and the people that agree with you are what make it so good. Low information people agreeing with it and the other side of people knowing its sarcasm and being able to make fun of the people that do take it at face value.

• 1Like

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Delusion. C-Suite and Executive Leadership spend their time on strategy and direction. Among other things like finding funding when necessary. The rank and file make it happen absolutely, but until you get into leadership above the normal people manager you're way closer to just doing the day to day than driving the company 1 year 2 years or more out.

That is why you have Executives and C-Suite.
The key is having the right number. Too many companies bloat the fuck out of their exec level and 2/3rds of them are fucking useless or a detriment.

• 6Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 6 users

Chris

Potato del Grande
At times I feel like you're intentionally being slow or something. Look, you dont even need to know about the corporate world to make it make sense to yourself. A cashier at Kroger isnt going to be able to run the f'n store at the drop of a hat. Much less is he going to be able to control the territory or even the franchise.

That comic plays on both sides and is actually pretty good. You and the people that agree with you are what make it so good. Low information people agreeing with it and the other side of people knowing its sarcasm and being able to make fun of the people that do take it at face value.
There is someone at Blizzard who manages the teams to bring all the aspects of a game together, someone who manages the deployment of games to the Blizzard store and payment processing, someone who manages marketing, someone who manages printing physical copies etc etc

I couldn't do any of those jobs, but neither can Bobboy Kotick. He's just going to delegate and listen to his VPs.

His job is setting out the strategy and allocation of resources, he is doing a poor job.

xmod2

<Gold Donor>
Board members have a legal responsibility to the financial interests of the shareholders. A corporation exists to make money, not good games, good food, happy customers, etc. As long as they are making money with mobile systems, milking whales, etc, then they are doing a 'good job'.

The point of earlier in this thread is that what the consumer thinks of as a 'good job' (good games) and what the shareholders think of as a 'good job' (money) don't always align. Now, there are things called Benefit Corporations which add a new legal requirement to balance their purpose/positive impact alongside profit. This helps, for example, in the case of negative externalities on the environment. I have no idea if you can apply this to something nebulous like making 'good games'. We have already seen from the industry that the best games are not necessarily the biggest financial successes, but they are still successes.

Point being, some people want to make good games and have the money follow. There is room for that. Just be aware if you 'sell your soul' to a corporation or become incorporated, your new job is making money first and games second.

• 3Like

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
There is someone at Blizzard who manages the teams to bring all the aspects of a game together, someone who manages the deployment of games to the Blizzard store and payment processing, someone who manages marketing, someone who manages printing physical copies etc etc

I couldn't do any of those jobs, but neither can Bobboy Kotick. He's just going to delegate and listen to his VPs.

His job is setting out the strategy and allocation of resources, he is doing a poor job.

How many billions have you made?

• 3Worf

jayrebb

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
The point of earlier in this thread is that what the consumer thinks of as a 'good job' (good games) and what the shareholders think of as a 'good job' (money) don't always align. Now, there are things called Benefit Corporations which add a new legal requirement to balance their purpose/positive impact alongside profit. This helps, for example, in the case of negative externalities on the environment. I have no idea if you can apply this to something nebulous like making 'good games'. We have already seen from the industry that the best games are not necessarily the biggest financial successes, but they are still successes.

that hack Morhaime doesn't have the balls to put Benefit Corporation on his company because its all talk and promo to release the latest mobile piece of shit.

hes spoke at length about the tenets of a benefit corporation, making "good games first and foremost" but there's no teeth on it. the investors and venture capital will call the shots.

BoozeCube

Von Clippowicz
<Prior Amod>
So I don't play Faggot Fantasy and have no plans to gobble their nutsack like many of the bandwagon tards have been doing, but look at how simple this was. Logins are fucked players can't log in. So they apologize for the issue and give out 7 days of game time.

Imagine how many times Blizzard has face fucked themselves with massive queues or release issues. Just think of how something so fucking simple as an apology and a few free game days would have gone to not make them seem like total cuntrags. Oh well fuck em.

• 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
  • 1Truth!
Reactions: 7 users

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
Logins are fucked players can't log in. So they apologize for the issue and give out 7 days of game time.
There was this rumor floating around that Blizzard had emergency meetings, lots of emergency meetings, basically all hands on deck. The managers/leaders asked: "Why do people play FFXIV?"
And the developers answered "because of this, this and that." And the confused question from the managers was: "but we did all that?" - "Yeah, but not anymore."

This is the punchline to many of Blizzard's current problems: They used to do this, but not anymore.

• 1Like

Tarisk

Pathetic Reaction Bot
There was this rumor floating around that Blizzard had emergency meetings, lots of emergency meetings, basically all hands on deck. The managers/leaders asked: "Why do people play FFXIV?"
And the developers answered "because of this, this and that." And the confused question from the managers was: "but we did all that?" - "Yeah, but not anymore."

This is the punchline to many of Blizzard's current problems: They used to do this, but not anymore.

"We used to make a passable game, but not anymore" -- seems accurate.

• 1Like
  • 1Dislike
  • 1Faggotry

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
At least they are enthusiastic about bringing back tier sets. Which is one of those things "they used to do".

Next they should roll back play style customization from gear. Things the old talent and glyph systems used to do.

• 1Like

Neranja

<Bronze Donator>
catboys in dresses
That was last year. Bunny boys are so hot right now.

ffxiv-male-viera.jpg

hot.jpg

xmod2

<Gold Donor>

Interesting (and refreshing) to see candid communication with a lead like this in the era of game developers who 'know better'. Discussing error codes and the causes, offering comp time, showing peak congestion metrics, etc. Reminds me of how he was discussing cloud tech and their investigations into using it to alleviate launch issues during the live letter. He gave way more information than I would have thought a developer to give to the 'unwashed masses'. I expect that kind of stuff from Wube, not from SquareEnix.

• 3Like