Blue Beetle (2023)

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
This is streaming on HBO now so I decided to watch it. Boring and full of tropes. Shazam was actually pretty decent and it was obvious they tried to latch on to that sort of comedic vibe, but the jokes fell flat. Honestly, I only knew of Blue Beetle from the Injustice games (not a huge comic book nerd by any stretch), who thought such an obscure character was worthy of a movie?
I barely remember what the story was for it. Kid has no upward mobility cause hes not white, but could pass for white. Kid meets upper class person thats not white, but passes for white and has a white mother. That family is definitely made out to be royalty, vs peasantry. She gives him the blue beetle and kid fights her mother's clan for the entirety of the movie so he can keep the blue beetle. Was there a plot other than that that I missed?

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Rabbit_Games

Molten Core Raider
Imagine all of the Woman and/or Black preaching in movies over the past decade, tell us White Men how fucking
horrible we are for making their lives miserable. Now imagine that you're Hispanic and feel left out. Blue Beetle
to the rescue! Now you can have your own 2-hour movie telling everyone how racist all the White People are to
Hispanics, and how you just can't go anywhere without White People treating you like trash. If only we'd give you
a chance, we'd see that your homeless Uncle is obviously a genius hacker who understands alien technology, and
grandma fought for rebels in the old country and has the skills to master alien weaponry.

If that's your bag, load it up and have fun. Otherwise, you're not missing anything.

• 2Like
  • 1Great Review
Reactions: 2 users

Haus

<Silver Donator>
So I had a work trip this last week which involved a couple plane flights. I watched this as it was in the planes library of movies on the flight to California.

Actual review : Not that bad, but very forgettable. Thought I would go in and hate the absence of the real Blue Beetle (IMHO) but there were respectable callbacks and leveraging of how he was the previous Blue Beetle and in this timeline/whatever he "vanished". As well as call backs to the Dan Garrett Beetle. I have not read a single one of the Jaime Reyes Blue Beetle comics, so I don't know how this does or doesn't fit into things.

Susan Sarandon was there and wore a "Am I really THIS desperate for a paycheck" look the entire movie. Bad guy was a complete throw away pile of "like the hero but he's bad!" tropes. The scarab as a MacGuffin led to what I considered serious misuse of a Batman concept/plot device. Female love interest had to be cast as "half Brazilian" since they couldn't allow a white female to be portrayed in a positive light it looks like. (How many is half a Brazilian anyways?)

Almost wish they'd do a sequel just to follow up on things referenced about the Ted Kord beetle. But that's a complete throw away now with the "Gunn-verse" incoming.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
Almost wish they'd do a sequel just to follow up on things referenced about the Ted Kord beetle. But that's a complete throw away now with the "Gunn-verse" incoming.

This probably didnt do well enough financially to warrant them following up quickly, but I am 99% sure Gunn said this one could be followed up, since it included 0 things connecting to directly to the Snyderverse. Pretty sure Blue Beetle is one of the characters he enjoys, and believe he also liked this guy's performance as Jaime.

Haus

<Silver Donator>
This probably didnt do well enough financially to warrant them following up quickly, but I am 99% sure Gunn said this one could be followed up, since it included 0 things connecting to directly to the Snyderverse. Pretty sure Blue Beetle is one of the characters he enjoys, and believe he also liked this guy's performance as Jaime.
I will admit I am just sentimental because of the love I have for the 80's Beetle/Booster stuff. And I think Gunn could do a hell of an entertaining "Buddy cop flick" of that. Not sure who to put as Kord though, since Nathan Fillion already has a role in the "GunnVerse" and he'd be my first pick.