Bo Burnham: Inside (2021)

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Yeah, I watched this on a flight back from Virginia a couple of weeks ago and it floored me. I went in with the expectation of "Lets hear the funny man sing funny songs" and 2/3 of the way into the movie I was like "Is this real? Does this guy seriously and immediately need help?". It was really great, and made me feel deeply uncomfortable at the same time. I agree that it will not be a lot of peoples thing, but if it connects and resonates with you - damn.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
I have a lot of 30/near 30 friends (I'm 40 but my 40 friends are all married and generally just living in that realm) and the one thing I got from this?

I'm pretty fuckin happy to be 40 now. That decade difference? Is a monumental change in how life is perceived. This special comes across as a man slowly falling apart given access to social media/the internet from basically his inception. He hits 30 and has too much information and opinion in his life, and he's a product of the school system and realizes that it's skewed but also realizes that the skew is not whatever it is in the media, which is skewed in a diametrically opposed viewpoint.

White Woman's Instagram is pretty goddamn spot on, hah.

My 30 friends are just floored by it, and it hits really close to home for them. For me? It's like watching a trainwreck in slow motion, over the course of 1 hour and 20ish minutes. With some catchy songs and lots of social commentary. Also, the slow collapse of a person who lives vicariously in the social sphere when removed from the physical part of it.

Probably intentional, but it's a pretty powerful piece. We need better schools, less social media, and kids need to be made aware that the internet is full of bullshit and to not center themselves in what it pretends to provide.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I lasted 15 minutes trying to watch this. Mostly ruined by the immediate woke sentiment.

I got the impression he was poking fun Woke artists.

I have a lot of 30/near 30 friends (I'm 40 but my 40 friends are all married and generally just living in that realm) and the one thing I got from this?

I'm pretty fuckin happy to be 40 now. That decade difference? Is a monumental change in how life is perceived. This special comes across as a man slowly falling apart given access to social media/the internet from basically his inception. He hits 30 and has too much information and opinion in his life, and he's a product of the school system and realizes that it's skewed but also realizes that the skew is not whatever it is in the media, which is skewed in a diametrically opposed viewpoint.

White Woman's Instagram is pretty goddamn spot on, hah.

My 30 friends are just floored by it, and it hits really close to home for them. For me? It's like watching a trainwreck in slow motion, over the course of 1 hour and 20ish minutes. With some catchy songs and lots of social commentary. Also, the slow collapse of a person who lives vicariously in the social sphere when removed from the physical part of it.

Probably intentional, but it's a pretty powerful piece. We need better schools, less social media, and kids need to be made aware that the internet is full of bullshit and to not center themselves in what it pretends to provide.

Yeah I'm 28 about to be 29 and I realized in the last two years that the Internet is just bullshit.

All you really need is a moral framework to help you deal with the world, and then a goal to work towards.

You should build your opinions around your life experience.

But on the Internet? Moral frameworks fall apart because there are no correcting forces. Everyone on the internet is a dipshit or an asshole. And there is no goal. It is just a constant stream of information and entertainment. There is no point to it.

So no wonder so many people in my generation have no values or orientation. They were raised in the internet where everyone is a dick and there is no point.

I got a job working with my hands, and haven't really spent a lot of time on the internet. When I get home I just want to nap or read a book. Don't want to waste what little free time I have. My life has gotten better

• 1Like

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
I got the impression he was poking fun Woke artists.

Yeah I'm 28 about to be 29 and I realized in the last two years that the Internet is just bullshit.

All you really need is a moral framework to help you deal with the world, and then a goal to work towards.

You should build your opinions around your life experience.

But on the Internet? Moral frameworks fall apart because there are no correcting forces. Everyone on the internet is a dipshit or an asshole. And there is no goal. It is just a constant stream of information and entertainment. There is no point to it.

So no wonder so many people in my generation have no values or orientation. They were raised in the internet where everyone is a dick and there is no point.

I got a job working with my hands, and haven't really spent a lot of time on the internet. When I get home I just want to nap or read a book. Don't want to waste what little free time I have. My life has gotten better

33 year old here. I think a lot of people from my generation feel like the game is so rigged that trying to win it is pointless. Morality is seen as a liability, especially in places in life that are competitive. The constant information from being raised by the internet hasn't really left any of the illusions in tact. The globe is warming and we're in a mass extinction event, but no one cares. No one wants to do anything about it because it would be unprofitable. Life is a bunch of bullshit, then you die. The only real thing that matters are the loved ones you made along the way. The material goods and important titles just ring sort of hollow and vain to a lot of us. It's really hard to give a shit when things seem very grim.

That's what I think the song "That funny feeling" portrays. At least to me. The world we live in is broken.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
33 year old here. I think a lot of people from my generation feel like the game is so rigged that trying to win it is pointless. Morality is seen as a liability, especially in places in life that are competitive. The constant information from being raised by the internet hasn't really left any of the illusions in tact. The globe is warming and we're in a mass extinction event, but no one cares. No one wants to do anything about it because it would be unprofitable. Life is a bunch of bullshit, then you die. The only real thing that matters are the loved ones you made along the way. The material goods and important titles just ring sort of hollow and vain to a lot of us. It's really hard to give a shit when things seem very grim.

That's what I think the song "That funny feeling" portrays. At least to me. The world we live in is broken.

World has always been broken. There is no Heaven on Earth. There never has been and there never will be. How do you deal with that?

You need Inner Strength in order to deal with it. That's where the morals come in.

If you are fighting a war, you might come to a point where you have to choose. Do you follow your morals and lose or do you do whatever you can to win?

Some people pick doing whatever is necessary in order to win, and they sacrifice themselves. But I think it is better to lose with your morals, and be true to yourself. You might die, but that is only material. It is better to keep your spirit/soul intact.

You need that sort of mentality to deal with the world. The world has always been a broken place, since the beginning. But once you realize that all the material concerns do not matter, and the only thing that matters is your Inside, then you can deal with the horrible things in the world.

Solzhenitsyn was locked in a Soviet gulag, but he never gave up. He retreated inside himself, and became something like a mystic. He developed his soul/spirit.

That is what Moderns must do. They must look inwards. But they think morals hold you back because of how broken the world is. That is ass-backwards. Because the world is broken you need morals.

• 1Like

Sithro

Molten Core Raider
World has always been broken. There is no Heaven on Earth. There never has been and there never will be. How do you deal with that?

You need Inner Strength in order to deal with it. That's where the morals come in.

If you are fighting a war, you might come to a point where you have to choose. Do you follow your morals and lose or do you do whatever you can to win?

Some people pick doing whatever is necessary in order to win, and they sacrifice themselves. But I think it is better to lose with your morals, and be true to yourself. You might die, but that is only material. It is better to keep your spirit/soul intact.

You need that sort of mentality to deal with the world. The world has always been a broken place, since the beginning. But once you realize that all the material concerns do not matter, and the only thing that matters is your Inside, then you can deal with the horrible things in the world.

Solzhenitsyn was locked in a Soviet gulag, but he never gave up. He retreated inside himself, and became something like a mystic. He developed his soul/spirit.

That is what Moderns must do. They must look inwards. But they think morals hold you back because of how broken the world is. That is ass-backwards. Because the world is broken you need morals.

The problem is if you stick your morals, you'll always be stepped on by those who don't. Why do you think sociopaths/psychopaths rule the world? It's game theory in the end.

Campbell1oo4

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
The problem is if you stick your morals, you'll always be stepped on by those who don't. Why do you think sociopaths/psychopaths rule the world? It's game theory in the end.

You are never go to get rid of all the horrible people in the world. So you don't try to make the world a perfect place. You try to make yourself strong enough to deal with an imperfect world.

You will get stepped on at some point in your life, but it is a form of strength to get stepped on and move beyond it.

And if you die? That was always going to happen. At least you did it living by your morals, and not giving up your soul. Men throw themselves at machine guns to save their comrades. Monks burn themselves alive to draw the world's attention. Parents sacrifice themselves for their children. Human beings are capable of putting something above their own mortal lives, and it is at that point we are our most noble.

Is it all about surviving as long as possible? Or is it about living life on your terms? I don't know. But I use to think like Bo did and I was depressed. Then I learned to see the world through a different lens and I'm not only content, but I've grown as a person.

• 1Like