Board Games

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
It's good but I'm cheap and the space it occupies matters. The best part of the expansion is that it allows you to have an 8th player. If you don't put any value on that than I wouldn't recommend it.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Hello all, one of my friends and I are most likely going to try and Kickstart a drafting/deckbuilding/dueling card game. We have been to Board Game Geek and are in discussions with Dice Tower to review the prototype but we are still trying to find more places for board/card game discussion/discovery. I would appreciate any insight into where you find out about new games and what drives your decision to buy.

Golgotha_sl

shitlord
Sit Down and Shut Up reviews are high on my list for recommendations. Obviously episodes of TableTop, which wouldnt really apply to you. Daily emails from Coolstuffinc and MinitureMarket, Ive seen Kickstarters mentioned by CSI. Everything else I find out on BGG.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
Thanks man! I am going to try and get in touch with the Shut Up & Sit Down guys; but it might be for naught since they are based in London and we are still debating on if our KS will ship internationally.

Sulrn

Deuces
If you've seen TableTop you should know Wil is a hobbyist designer as well. Try and get in touch with him and see if he has any recommendations from actually completing the process before.

If anything he should be a wealth of references with everyone he knows in the industry.

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
If you've seen TableTop you should know Wil is a hobbyist designer as well. Try and get in touch with him and see if he has any recommendations from actually completing the process before.

If anything he should be a wealth of references with everyone he knows in the industry.
No doubt Sulrn, I just figured that he (and the Penny Arcade guys) probably get hit up every fucking day by randos talking about their KS and how it will be the next big thing!!! I was definitely going to reach out, I just wasn't expecting a response.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
Forbidden Lore is now out for Eldritch Horror. One new Old One, Yig. Many new cards! All the old ones now have 8 mysteries, so beating them should be different almost every game. Could still use more city encounter cards. Each color has 12 now, the generic encounters have... 10 now I think.

If you like Arkham Horror, this is a streamlined version that still kicks the groups ass 4 out of 5 times.

C'thulu for President!

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
I've been wondering about Eldritch. Love me some co-op games.

Anyone have experience with the Pathfinder co-op card game? I'm having a blast with the Descent co-op module FFG just released, as well as their LotR LCG.

CO-OP!

Tenks

Bronze Knight of the Realm
Has anyone played Flash Point? I think I'd like a co-op 2p game since my wife hates to lose but she sucks at games.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've been wondering about Eldritch. Love me some co-op games.

Anyone have experience with the Pathfinder co-op card game? I'm having a blast with the Descent co-op module FFG just released, as well as their LotR LCG.

CO-OP!
Pathfinder ACG is quite fun, very variable - the rules do take some getting used to though - probably rate is as the third hardest rules to follow of board games I've done. (#1 Arkham, #2 Mage-Knight, #3 Pathfinder ACG)

Lots of corner case rules and wordings that can get a little glitchy if you read it too quick.

But it's a fun quick game, one of the favorites for the wife and I to get a quick game in here and there.

And what Descent Co-Op module? Got linkage?

Tea_sl

shitlord
Has anyone played Flash Point? I think I'd like a co-op 2p game since my wife hates to lose but she sucks at games.
I personally don't like it or pandemic a whole lot. Flash point always drags for me and feels repetitive. Pandemic is better but can be predictable. Personally I think Forbidden Desert/ Island is a really great 2 player co-op for someone who isn't a gamer, but a lot of people like flash point. If your wife sucks at games then I think you may run into a problem of quarterbacking with flash point and to a lesser extent pandemic, but it's a problem that nearly all co-op games share to some extent.

To the point of co-op in general, Mage Knight is fine and all but Vlaada also made Space Alert, which is the best co-op game ever.

Vaclav

Shit that reminds me, keep forgetting to buy Forbidden Desert. And yea, FI is a great light game. [Although it does seem the TSA hates that it's in a metal box - every time I fly and I carry it in a checked bag it's in pieces and the rubber band holding it shut is off]

And first I've heard of Space Alert... reading the website for it, it sounds almost like FTL as a board game (although it predates FTL), right?

Mountain Man_sl

shitlord
Me and my girlfriend play Pandemic quite a bit. I still enjoy it since you can change the difficulty. I will be buying the expansion packs for it eventually, to add more content.

I just ordered Forbidden Island too, along with a few other games. My girlfriend likes cooperative games. She also really likes Castles of Burgundy, which I wouldn't have seen coming.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Just ordered netrunner and smash up, pumped for board game night. Played Dixit and king of Tokyo to death already.

Tea_sl

shitlord
Shit that reminds me, keep forgetting to buy Forbidden Desert. And yea, FI is a great light game. [Although it does seem the TSA hates that it's in a metal box - every time I fly and I carry it in a checked bag it's in pieces and the rubber band holding it shut is off]

And first I've heard of Space Alert... reading the website for it, it sounds almost like FTL as a board game (although it predates FTL), right?
I've never played FTL, but yeah same concept. Also in the category of yelling at your friends in pressure packed ships in space is Space Cadets, which is unspeakably great. Space Alert is a 10 minute Sprint of real time worker placement and yelling and stress. Space Cadets is a long walk through the depths of human failure and yelling and general indecency towards your friends. In either case the group dynamic of trying to coordinate your friends in a timed environment and your inevitable failure is what makes them amazing.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
Inevitable failure... Ffg's Eldritch siteas has a running thread for success rate vs the game. I think the average is 30% win if you do not cherry pick characters and your elder playmate. Hi! Yog eats the world again, thanks for playing... Yig in the new expansion starts the doom counter at 10, a group would have to have great teamwork and no small amount of luck against him.

However Pandemic is still my record for loosing the game in 4 (new to the game and the guy teaching us left ALL the epidemic cards in the deck...) turns, best Eldritch loss was at 5th turn.

Vaclav

Inevitable failure... Ffg's Eldritch siteas has a running thread for success rate vs the game. I think the average is 30% win if you do not cherry pick characters and your elder playmate. Hi! Yog eats the world again, thanks for playing... Yig in the new expansion starts the doom counter at 10, a group would have to have great teamwork and no small amount of luck against him.

However Pandemic is still my record for loosing the game in 4 (new to the game and the guy teaching us left ALL the epidemic cards in the deck...) turns, best Eldritch loss was at 5th turn.
What's he do when Doom hits 0 though? Some of the others have been manageable post-Doom (tough though).

Won't see firsthand his goodness till Tuesday for my copy.