Board Games

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah, friend of mine just got one of those 36-dice boxes you can order for $5 or so on Amazon. Made things so much better since everyone could have a pile.
Yeah, I did the same. The problem is I could only find 12mm or 16mm dice, and Eldritch came with 14ish-mm dice, which to me, felt the best. 12mm are a tad too small, and 16mm are way too large for rolling a bunch at a time.

On top of that, I couldn't get FFG customer service to send (or even sell) me more dice. Which is odd, because all of my previous experience has shown that they're more than willing to just send shit out with little or no reason. I got two extra free sets of Descent 2E dice by just saying I lost a couple. This was before they were selling them in packs, so I had to bullshit them just to acquire more dice, I'd gladly have paid for more.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Yeah, I did the same. The problem is I could only find 12mm or 16mm dice, and Eldritch came with 14ish-mm dice, which to me, felt the best. 12mm are a tad too small, and 16mm are way too large for rolling a bunch at a time.

On top of that, I couldn't get FFG customer service to send (or even sell) me more dice. Which is odd, because all of my previous experience has shown that they're more than willing to just send shit out with little or no reason. I got two extra free sets of Descent 2E dice by just saying I lost a couple. This was before they were selling them in packs, so I had to bullshit them just to acquire more dice, I'd gladly have paid for more.
Just man up and buy the Arkham Horror dice like a boss. (I own 2 sets of AH dice)Arkham Horror Bone Dice Set | CoolStuffInc.com online retailer of board games, mtg and many other collectible card games

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I'm torn with this Ghostbuster's kickstarter. Expensive game, gameplay seems pretty basic with a few interesting options, but there are tons of exclusives, a lot of fan service, and its the actual Ghostbusters. I think if this hits 1 million and the SG is really awesome I will keep my pledge, otherwise I might have to let it slide.

Vaclav

Dunno, Frank the Tank in our group is already in for it (and Conan - he's a mini game nut quite clearly).

Just got Argent from Coolstuff this AM - just played it with the wife.... Holy shit is it good. She's usually super critical of worker placement and there wasn't a complaint out of her besides the first turn. After that, it was all smiles. Tight game too - came down to her being ahead on IP for tiebreaking that really sealed it for her - I really look forward to playing it with 4.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I'm torn with this Ghostbuster's kickstarter. Expensive game, gameplay seems pretty basic with a few interesting options, but there are tons of exclusives, a lot of fan service, and its the actual Ghostbusters. I think if this hits 1 million and the SG is really awesome I will keep my pledge, otherwise I might have to let it slide.
It's certainly just another reskin in the genre. There is nothing innovative there. It should also still be a fun game. Games like this I always advise people that if they like the IP the game is about then grab it. The IP is generally 3/4 of the fun of playing a game.

Djay

Trakanon Raider
What's turning me off from the Ghostbuster thing is all the $5-15 add-ons instead of them being included as part of the stretch goal. I was leaning towards getting it early on, but Ghostbusters is an IP I like, but don't love, so it isn't worth it for me to throw down how much they're asking, then additional money for scenarios and figures that should just be included for supporting them.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
I agree, just having add-ons is one thing, but making add-ons apart of the stretch goal? Ridiculous. I was reading the BGG forum for that Blood Rage board game, which looks like its doing everything right (a little bit of KS exclusives, one add-on, solid gameplay videos/reviews) and people are still bitching. I think the moronic negativity of people hurts my wallet more than the developers being greedy.

Vaclav

It's certainly just another reskin in the genre. There is nothing innovative there. It should also still be a fun game. Games like this I always advise people that if they like the IP the game is about then grab it. The IP is generally 3/4 of the fun of playing a game.
Frank's take on it was "Zombicide light" which he like Zombicide a bit (he got it all for the first 2 seasons, he's slowing now apparently) so a pretty natural fit. And on Blood Rage, I assume that's the Viking one - he just jumped in on that one too supposedly.

Dude's clearly got money though - we hosted the wife's birthday at his place to make it more convenient for people (plus being a rental for our first year here - our entertaining space is limited) - and even with him letting us use his place, trying to go out of his way to provide supplies and such for the party, and only knowing us about two months now - he through a $20 gift card for the LGS at her. (And note, she didn't ask anyone for gifts - just letting us use his place was awesome of him (~20 people at the high points I think, it was an event)) Either that or the area truly does do something to people, like it feels. Such a different world than I got used to in Maryland.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Why did you have to let me know about a Viking miniature board game?
I'm already well past my year game budget 8(

Vaclav

Also got Kingsport Festival if I've not mentioned it before - plays quite nice - not as good as Argent which is amazing, but quite solid.

Vaclav

My playgroup is working hard to get Argent's dev to quit life by asking a constant stream of rules questions.

"Can I replace a Temporary Mage (Student faction Spell) with a permanent Mage using the Archmage's Study?" is the current one we're waiting on an answer for.

Really enjoyable game, just some annoying wording/ruling stuff on BGG.

The "highest influence breaks ties" bit is incredibly relevant in the game. Most of our playthroughs have been down to tiebreaker differentials to determine who got the last few votes and won.
He FAQ'ed your question over on BGG - you can change the class on temporary mages with a switch - you can't make them permanent by such however.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Played Samurai Spirit on the weekend. Really fun little coop game that is similar to ghost stories but I think it's a lot simpler but just as challenging. Quite quick. Our games took under 30 minutes and most of that was due to get used to it, so wouldn't be surprised to see it gone in 15 min or so, making it a nice game to wind down on. My friend who owns it says it plays fine with just him and his partner, so add it to the options for those of you looking for a nice game to play at home.

Samurai Spirit | Board Game | BoardGameGeek

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Finally got a chance to play Betrayal at House on the Hill this weekend. Pretty cool, but we had almost no item cards and it went slow because I had to keep looking up rules. Next playthrough should be better. Betrayer ended up winning mostly because one player got trapped and died early...the other two of us waited too long to engage with him and he was almost to his goal by the time we got there.

I went in on another Kickstarter, too:
Burgle Bros. - A Cooperative Heist Boardgame by Tim Fowers Kickstarter
Seems like a cool idea and pretty cheap.

I'm also thinking aboutTesla vs. Edison by Artana LLC Kickstarter
As an ECE graduate, I love the theme. I just worry it won't have enough appeal to get others to play it with me.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I had the chance to do some demos this weekend using the new version of Deadfellas put out by Ninja Division. It's a reprint of an older game with some updated rules but all the changes they made were pretty sweet. The art for the game is much better then the old version. It's a fun game if you are alooking for a 20 dollar fix of zombie mobsters whacking each other
smile.png

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Finally got a chance to play Betrayal at House on the Hill this weekend. Pretty cool, but we had almost no item cards and it went slow because I had to keep looking up rules. Next playthrough should be better. Betrayer ended up winning mostly because one player got trapped and died early...the other two of us waited too long to engage with him and he was almost to his goal by the time we got there.
Yeah Betrayal is just one of those "enjoy of ride" type of games, similar to Galaxy Trucker. Everything is too random and chaotic to have too much strategy so you just gotta have some fun. Not that you can't have some strategy in either game, but usually its too chaotic to control.

Delly

Trakanon Raider
Yeah I backed both Ghostbusters and Blood Rage. I think I've spent my yearly game board allowance in two weeks.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
I've seen several people in this thread mention Yearly/Monthly board game allowances. How much do you guys budget? I usually just get something, play it a few times, go nuts buying the expansions, then break it out rarely when I get a chance to game. I've spent ~$300 on Netrunner this year (Just started it, met some regulars, so bought a lot to catch up) and maybe ~$50-100 on random other stuff. Set, Pixel Tactics, Age of War...smaller stuff.