Board Games

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
I could see some local stores picking up a copy or two around the holidays. Shit flies off the shelf at our local store during that time.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Picked up Tokaido, looks like a good family game. Finally played tickets to ride last weekend, fun game as well. Friend had the 10th anniversary edition, that was some quality train cars and board.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Another stretch goal for Dark Souls, another ?28 expansion, full set of game + expansions is over $300 now.

faille

Molten Core Raider
Looking to get back into board games so started plowing through the last 10 or so pages of this thread.. Consensus seems to be Kingdom Death is excellent, but how the hell do you buy it? Says sold out on their website but expansions are available?
Kindgom Death does look like a great game but not sure it's the best option for getting into board games again. I'd recommend Pandemic ( or Pandemic Legacy), Ticket to Ride, or Catan. They're great introductions which can easily be taught to other people. If you enjoy them, you'll quickly move on to other ones.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Kindgom Death does look like a great game but not sure it's the best option for getting into board games again. I'd recommend Pandemic ( or Pandemic Legacy), Ticket to Ride, or Catan. They're great introductions which can easily be taught to other people. If you enjoy them, you'll quickly move on to other ones.
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm meeting my teenage years besty on vacation in a few months and we're committed to reliving our younger days spent playing Starship Troopers and Magic Realm, so looking to pick somethin up before our trip. It's been a long time but considering the complexity of the aforementioned games (which we played at 15 or so) we should be good with most anything difficulty wise. In any case, Kingdom Death is supposed to weigh 17lbs (lol...) so I won't be taking that halfway across the globe..

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Kingdom Death also has a large rule book with a steep learning curve from what I've read. I doubt you want to spend your time reading a rule book when trying to catch up with someone.

I'd just scroll back a few pages and check out the beginner suggestions people have mentioned, there are plenty of great games these days, no matter what genre you're into.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Kingdom Death's rules are pretty simple actually - like 5-6 pages of actual reading the rest is story and nuance stuff that you can breeze over.

Apparently Poots is debating what direction to take things now though - apparently he's down to 50 copies left period, from the sounds of things he'll likely be doing another print run though, but it's not in stone yet.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Kingdom Death's rules are pretty simple actually - like 5-6 pages of actual reading the rest is story and nuance stuff that you can breeze over.

Apparently Poots is debating what direction to take things now though - apparently he's down to 50 copies left period, from the sounds of things he'll likely be doing another print run though, but it's not in stone yet.
Argh I can't believe I missed getting this by like 4 days. Let me know (post here, IM?) if you find any source of new copies that isn't higher than the $400 shipping included that he had on his site. Everything I'm seeing for new on stuff like ebay/BGG is absurdly marked up, idiots hoping to fleece people for hundreds. No thanks.

Vaclav

Argh I can't believe I missed getting this by like 4 days. Let me know (post here, IM?) if you find any source of new copies that isn't higher than the $400 shipping included that he had on his site. Everything I'm seeing for new on stuff like ebay/BGG is absurdly marked up, idiots hoping to fleece people for hundreds. No thanks.
I'll try to - I'm only checking monthly now for the mostpart though since that's the anticipated schedule for expansions. (Of which I've already got the expensive half down anyhow)

Rule of thumb for him seems to be that holidays are when he puts up big new releases and such though - most people expect that even if he doesn't get a reprint going yet that there will be some reprints for Black Friday at the worst, that's always his biggest time he pushes stuff. (But would be a heck of a wait from now of course)

Vaclav

Re: Reprints of KD:M new email today...

Kingdom Death: Monster - Sold Out
In 6 short months following the game's release, we smashed thru our inventory. The remaining 20 units and 60 "red dots" which contain no miniatures are reserved for GenCon. The red dots came about as part of the factory's QA process, some sprues were damaged in transportation from one facility to the other and we decided to simply pack 'em without any figures at all.

We sold 2 retail copies to Powell's Bookstore in Portland, OR. If they still have them they should be in the store's board game section. And really, that's about it for retail! The final price of the game meant that very few units sold to retailers. Instead, we sold just shy of 4,000 units direct to customers! The vast majority of those were sold during our reduced pre-order price. Nonetheless, thanks to everyone's support, I think the sales of the core game has just barely passed its development costs!

With no Monster's out in the wild, we're thinking hard about what the best way to get new copies out there for people who still want them. It might be as straight forward as taking pre-orders or... it might be as complex as returning to Kickstarter. We very much want to supply everyone that wants on with their very own copy. I just can't believe how many tasks and considerations spawn from that simple desire!

Poots back on Kickstarter??
Everyone here at HQ is a little worried about this scenario. I am not a responsible creator. Nothing about KD:M is small and easy to produce. Only crazed determination and the mostly unwavering support of thousands of fans made it possible in the first place. Our inventory manager insists that I will need 24 hour supervision should this come to pass. I think he might be right.

The future of Kingdom Death
We are at a very interesting time and place with Kingdom Death. The kickstarter is nearly behind us, the game is sold out, and all that is ahead of us is the horizon. stretching out like a big empty canvas. I admit, this is sort of a new and difficult place. I've never worked like I did these past 4 years.

We (myself and the team) took every challenge head on, locked horns with any issue, and generally learned not to compromise! All that effort and all those crazy decisions we made... have now been validated. The ambition, as ludicrous as it felt, has been reached.

Putting aside my concerns and embracing a very pure desire to create is what lead to Kingdom Death and our eventual kickstarter in the first place. Our very first release, the White Speaker, was priced so that the investment would break even.

So! In the vein of embracing the insanity, Here are some things I am excited to see on the horizon of Kingdom Death. Consider it a soft-announcement of the things that inspire me to work every morning.

KDM - Nightmare Ram Expansion
KDM - Ringtail Fox Expansion
KDM - Black Knight Expansion
KDM - Gryphon Expansion
KDM - Frogdog Expansion
KDM - Lantern Festival (being reworked from the ground up, might focus on towns instead of settlements)
KDM - Storm Knight Expansion (how a survivor can become a hero)
KDM - Custom Campaign Book (for mixing our current expansions, supported with new story events)
KDM - Rust Ocean (area where Architects are from)
KD:Q - Kingdom Death Quest, a PVC game for mass market (gonna try distro with this!)
KD:T - Titan, a deck building game, its perspective far pulled far back to the greater entity level.
KD:L - Labyrinth, the game that highlights Twilight Knights, White Speakers and other hero level classes.
KD:2D - A retro cinematic platformer, with GORGEOUS hand made sprite animation.
MALE PINUPS

Of course these are the far off projects that loom large and don't include the resin releases that I have the pleasure of working on everyday!

Will all of this see the light of day? Will the team rebel and overthrow me first? I certainly can't say for now, but it should be a lot of fun either way!

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Dark Souls hit $2.8m, so they added another $51 add-on, oof. Up to about $332 for the game ($80) all the purchasable boss expansions.

Frenzied Wombat

Potato del Grande
Re: Reprints of KD:M new email today...
That email is ridiculous. They sold out in record speed and they have to contemplate throwing another kickstarter in order to manufacture more copies? It's called "kickstarter" for a reason; if your initial business plan takes off (which it did) it should be self-sufficient, or at a minimum be able to attract actual business investors like flies to shit. I mean what was their plan-- sell 4,000 measly copies and that's it? And why the focus on talking expansions when your entire player base tops out at 4,000 people??

Vaclav

That email is ridiculous. They sold out in record speed and they have to contemplate throwing another kickstarter in order to manufacture more copies? It's called "kickstarter" for a reason; if your initial business plan takes off (which it did) it should be self-sufficient, or at a minimum be able to attract actual business investors like flies to shit. I mean what was their plan-- sell 4,000 measly copies and that's it? And why the focus on talking expansions when your entire player base tops out at 4,000 people??
I don't entirely disagree from a business standpoint - but Poots is doing this as more of a passion project than as a business. Although that might be changing with a the PVC massmarket game being mentioned as a plan.

And you'll note in there he mentioned experimenting with a few retailers to see if it sold quickly enough - seems like he's testing the waters to see if a $400 retail board game might actually sell well enough to be worthwhile.

Also keep in mind by most estimates he lost $125-150 per kickstarter backer on the main box and around $30-50 per expansion. He's not a business guru for sure though.

Evernothing

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...r-and-dice-box

rrr_img_133038.jpg

Ancallagon

Silver Knight of the Realm
So we picked up Eldritch Horror a few weeks back, finally got around to playing this weekend. GF and I love it. Definitely going to get the first expansion at the least, since it's just more cards, no more lands/areas. Really fun, great co-operative, and we both have had a lot of fun losing the planet to the Ancient Ones. Pretty quick to pick up and understand, although we were botching some of the rules early on, have since rectified that. A lot of strategy involved in where you go and what you do. Definitely a ton of fun so far.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah there's a lot of strategy mixed in with the heavy helping of RNG. I tend to find it enjoyable no matter what, even though the most likely outcome tends to be horrible death and destruction. I tend to appreciate fully co-op games, especially the ones that are challenging enough that a group of highly intelligent people can have trouble winning every time. Losing can be fun!

All four expansions are worthwhile IMO, as you get more hero dudes, cards of all types, and even a new setup card type (prelude I think?) that adds more random variation to each game. The extra boards provided by the Mountains and Pyramids expansions are optional, and only come into play if you choose a certain Ancient One, or a certain Prelude card. So you can buy those expansions and don't have to be "bogged down" by the extra boards if you don't want to.