Board Games

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
It seems like you have to luck out on crisis cards. If you need the same resource every time its just game over. Especially food

Djay

Trakanon Raider
It was always gas or food for us, which was bad. I think we had one round of tools, which was nice. We were never in danger of being overrun by zombies, but food and gas were always in short supply. The 3 gas in my hand might not have helped the situation, but pretty sure the others would have just stopped searching the gas station as much and we'd have been in the same bad situation the last turn anyway.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Anyone have experience with Zombicide?

Zombicide Base GameAmazon.com: Zombicide Base Game: Toys Games

Was looking for a co-op style game as they seem to be the bigger hits with my group.
It's pretty enjoyable, if your crew likes co-op they'd probably enjoy it, as it lends itself well toward good coordination. You do need a LOT of table space, though. The boards (sometimes 3x3) are quite large, so just be aware of that. I have a very large wooden dining table I play on, and it got crowded a bit, but still workable.

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
Anyone played Catan Starfarers?

Worth picking up? or is it just more of the same?

The Starfarers of Catan | Catan.com
It's fairly different and worth checking out if you're big into Catan.

1. You actually control space ships that move around the board. This dictates where you can build stuff, sorta like Civ.
2. Everyone starts at one side of the board and then explores towards the other side, discovering what resources are available near city locations and the information is private until someone builds there.
3. There is a mini game where you upgrade your ships with movement bonuses, combat bonuses, etc.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Anyone have experience with Zombicide?

Zombicide Base GameAmazon.com: Zombicide Base Game: Toys Games

Was looking for a co-op style game as they seem to be the bigger hits with my group.
Zombicide is a super fun game but it's lasting power depends on your group. There are usually 10ish missions in the book that comes with the game. We had to play several of them twice before defeating them. After defeating each one, my group wasn't excited about playing the same scenario over. We got probably 12-14 hours out of the base box. To me that was worth the 100 bucks.

Note: The strategy isn't super complex and the game isn't uber deep. If you are looking for depth this isn't it, this is a game where you shoot zombies over and over again.

moontayle

Golden Squire
Finished up our Imperial Assault campaign over the weekend. Rebels ended up winning the final scenario but it was literally by the skin of their teeth. Both the final Imperial and the last unwounded rebel had 1 health left and if the rebel had missed his attack the Imp player was guaranteed to win since he had an ability which automatically did 1 damage, but after the attack was done.

Good stuff. Loved it from end to end. Gonna let it sit, paint up my figures, then give it another go once the expansion comes out.

spronk

FPS noob
founder of the /r/boardgames sub reddit makes his first post in 8 years, shows off his collection of thousands of board games
[COMC] I've been collecting since 1997. : boardgames

fBM7F8x.jpg

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Some buddies of mine just launched a Kickstarter for their new game Petri Wars (Petri Wars by Angry Duck Games Kickstarter). These are the same guys who used Smirk and Dagger to publish their last game Student Bodies which is a healthy 7.15 over on BGG (Student Bodies | Board Game | BoardGameGeek). I played Petri Wars at Gencon a couple years ago when it was first in development and then again when they got their prototype copy in. It's a fun game of territory management and well worth a look!

Tortfeasor

Molten Core Raider
That /r/boardgames guy is awesome because he runs BGG Con and admission gets you free access to his library. I've been in that room.

faille

Molten Core Raider
I've been really hooked on Concordia lately. It seems to have the right blend of strategy and random elements to make it satisfying to work out the best moves without them always being the best moves.

Also succumbed and got some x-wing but haven't played it much yet.

Debating whether I want to order Specter Ops since it's finally available. I was really looking forward to it when I first saw it but that's cooled a little after the long wait. Anyone had a chance to play it?

Djay

Trakanon Raider
Sounds cool, but not gonna drop $100 on it or $150 to get everything. CoolMiniOrNot tends to have really pricey kickstarters and I was pretty dissatisfied with Kaosball.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
Just received and played Elysium. Seems like a basic trick taking game, but lots more depth and strategy than at first glance. Cards and components are gorgeous. Highly recommend if you are looking for good new strategy game.

Rush

Silver Knight of the Realm
Just bought Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert and Pandemic. Also have coming, Ticket to Ride and 1910 expansion, Fluxx, and the ever popular Cards Against Humanity. Time to attempt to convert my girlfriend and friends in to board game enthusiasts.

Uriel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Just bought Forbidden Island, Forbidden Desert and Pandemic. Also have coming, Ticket to Ride and 1910 expansion, Fluxx, and the ever popular Cards Against Humanity. Time to attempt to convert my girlfriend and friends in to board game enthusiasts.
Nice, those are all good games for beginners. Pandemic is a lot of fun. Pick up Love Letter too if you don't have it, never met anyone who didn't have fun playing it.

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
Terra Mystica is the newest one for us. Absolutely a great game. The addon is also pretty nice since it doesn't take away from the original races. Ranks in at 8.2 on BGG. Be ready for a couple of hours if you start a game though. Until everyone is comfortable with the game they can take a while, but within a single game everyone should get it.

Mountain Man_sl

shitlord
Nice. Terra Mystica is definitely on my buy list, but it will still be a few months before I feel the need for more games. My latest order was Quarriors with the Quartifacts expansion and Race for the Galaxy's second expansion, Rebel vs Imperium.

Quarriors is pretty fun. It's a dice game that I feel is kind of a mix between Dominion and Magic: The Gathering. Lots of luck involved obviously but I had an itch for a dice game and this definitely scratches it in a really fun way.

Race for the Galaxy is of course fun, and the expansion just adds more stuff to do.

Rathar

<Bronze Donator>
I didn't really feel that the expansions added enough for the fuss and extra setup time. Fun yes but not really worth it imho.

Terra mystica is quite nice although I suck at it.
Anyone played Medina? Super great simple game.

Kuro

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Race for the Galaxy Expansions were awkward because you either had to unsort out the other expansions to use the new one, or just add it to a growing mass of non-synergistic dreck.

Terra Mystica is a good time. Some real imbalance in the races though, so doing opening Victory Point bidding to determine who gets what race is pretty important. Doesn't help that the expansion map gives some of the first-set races the shaft (Gnome loses its easy-to-build tri-bridge peninsula city, giant loses its good "start with sailing bonus" set-ups)

Yeti expansion race is super fun to play. Being immune to Power-Action Cock-Blocking, and getting to use Power Actions for cheap makes the game feel completely different in a way not many of the races manage.