Board Games

Dizzam_sl

shitlord
Great thread. Registered here just to post in it. I've been playing Settlers, Dominion, 7 Wonders, and Pandemic for quite a while, but just recently started expanding my game library. Here are some of my newer games that my group has really enjoyed:

Lords of Waterdeep- (2-5 players) - Great introduction to worker placement games. Easy to learn, but there is a lot of strategy involved. Don't be scared off by the DnD theme if you aren't a fan, it quickly becomes a game of colored cubes instead of fighter, wizard, cleric, etc.

Tzolk'in: The Mayan Calendar- (2-4 players) - Awesome spin (literally) on the worker placement genre. Little more complex than Lords of Waterdeep, but it allows for more strategizing. Every turn you either place your workers on one of a few wheels that are all connected or take workers off and complete an action. The further along on the wheel, the better the action. At the end of every round you spin the big wheel, which spins all of the wheels so your workers move to the next space up.

The Resistance: Avalon- (5-10 players) - Played this recently when we had way too many people for my other games. I didn't have high expectations because it was just my "I need to hit $100 for free shipping" game. Now it's one of my favorites. Plays a lot like Mafia, but it's a lot better for a few reasons. The most obvious is that everyone gets to play through the entire game because no one dies. We played with my usual group plus a lot of non-boardgamers. Everyone loved it and kept asking to play another game.

Waiting for the price ofTerra Mysticato come down, but then I'll be grabbing that game for sure. Keep the reviews/recommendations coming!

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
I have been playing Hero Clix with 2 gaming groups I usually play board games with. Stuff is seriously addictive.

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
Waiting for the price ofTerra Mysticato come down, but then I'll be grabbing that game for sure. Keep the reviews/recommendations coming!
Haven't played The Resistance: Avalon (never been a huge fan of the Werewolf/Mafia style games), but if you like LoW and Tzolk'in, I expect you will *love* Terra Mystica. I have been playing that game like mad. Probably my favorite game to come out in years. Pure strategy (the game has a semi randomized setup, but after that, there's no randomness or hidden information), resource management, multiple factions with distinct strategies for winning, good theme, potential to play relatively quickly once you have it down (depending on group) It hits all the right notes for me.

Some of my favorite games are:

Most of the Uwe Rosenberg games (Agricola, Le Havre, Ora et Labora especially), though I veer from the crowd a bit and preferLe Havreto the widely regaled Agricola. It's an excellent resource chain game. You use buildings to turn resources into other resources, and eventually into victory points, all while keeping an ever increasing demand for food under control. Has some of the multiplayer solitaire problems you see in this genre, but it's partially mitigated by being able to use other players buildings (for a fee)

Caylus. An older worker placement game with lots of moving parts about building a castle in France in the 1300s. Another strong economy/resource chain game with lots to think about every turn.

On a less hardcore gamer-game note, I've got a soft spot forSentinels of the MultiverseIt's a cooperative superhero game. The art is a little goofy, and it's highly random and not entirely balanced, but it captures the theme of the superhero genre. Every player gets to pick the deck of the superhero they choose, then you pick a villain to fight against, represented by another deck, and the environment you're fighting them, which is yet another deck. The villain and environment decks play themselves. You just draw the top card and do what it says. The superhero turns are effectively playing a card, using a power, and then drawing. With all the expansions, you've got a wide range of characters to play against or as, and the villains are very disparate. Each villain also has an easy and hard mode, so you can notch up the challenge. It's a simple game, but there can be a *lot* to keep track of once there's several cards out on the table, each modifying game state in a different way.

I think anything by Vlaada Chvatil is worth looking at. I like all of his games that I've played, in very different ways.Mage Knightis a hardcore fantasy game that can be played competitively or cooperatively depending on the scenario you pick about running around a map, finding treasure, fighting bad guys, leveling up, etc.

Galaxy Truckeris probably Vlaada's lightest game. It comes in two main parts. First there is a timed tile placement phase where both players are drawing pieces of spaceships from a central pool and making ships out of them as quickly as possible. Then all players go through a quick race phase where your ship is tested by asteroids, space pirates, invading aliens, etc. and you watch it all fall apart.

Dungeon Lordsis a serious hardcore gamer game about being an evil overlord and constructing a dungeon to foil the obnoxious heroes who try to invade it every season, all while competing against your fellow dungeon overlords. I'm really not joking about this being for serious gamers only. There are a series of tutorials you need to go through to even begin to understand the strengths and weaknesses of the various monsters and traps and have some idea of how to fend off the heroes, and the game is so tightly balanced that any wrong move in the early game is going to ruin you. Not for the faint of heart. There's sort of a sister game set in the same universe calledDungeon Petzspecifically about raising monsters and dealing with their demands. Slightly less hard to grasp, but still probably too convoluted and brutal for non-gamers.

His other big game is calledSpace Alert. This is a timed cooperative game with an interesting gimick. The game comes with a series of audio tracks, and while you play the game, the audio will do things like tell you what trajectory enemy ships are appearing on, things that have gone wrong on your ship, emit crackles of static, indicating that you can't talk to other players because your comms are down, etc. So while the audio track is playing you are trying to work with your fellow players to plot out how to deal with the various threats. You do this by laying out movement cards, very much in the style of Robo-Rally. Once the audio track is over, you go through and actually execute the turns you plotted out and see how hilariously poorly you did. The game provides several learning tutorials where it steadily introduces new mechanics. It is very, very, very tense. You effectively need to plot out the entire game while the audio is constantly yelling at you and emitting annoying siren noises. I tried to play this solitaire once and I think I almost had an aneurysm.

Another designer whose games I will pretty much always buy sight unseen is Stefan Feld. He's very good at developing games based around interesting systems. His best rated at the moment is calledThe Castles of Burgundy. Every turn you roll dice and the dice restrict what actions you can take. If you have a 5 you can take one of the tiles available in the 5 section or use one of the tiles you have set aside and place it in the 5 section of your palace, and so on and so forth. There are also resources available that let you modify your roll, so you're not entirely at the mercy of the dice. I generally like more strategy than luck in my games, so the fact that I like this is telling.

My favorite Feld game isTrajan. Trajan is set during the Roman Empire, and you're all Roman leaders trying to accumulate power (ie, victory points) in a variety of ways. The interesting gimmick of Trajan is that set the central mechanic that determines what action you do every turn is essentially a game of mancala. You have a series of bowls that each contain two different colored markers at the beginning of the game. Each bowl is associated with an action. On your turn, you pick up all of the markers in one bowl and then place one in each bowl clockwise of the bowl you picked them up from. Then you take the action of the bowl you placed the last marker in. This is really interesting, because it means that your past actions influence what actions will be available to you in the future in a completely deterministic, but not incredibly obvious way.

I could probably go on for hours, but I'm sure I'm already into TL;DR territory.

Szlia

His other big game is calledSpace Alert. This is a timed cooperative game with an interesting gimick. The game comes with a series of audio tracks, and while you play the game, the audio will do things like tell you what trajectory enemy ships are appearing on, things that have gone wrong on your ship, emit crackles of static, indicating that you can't talk to other players because your comms are down, etc. So while the audio track is playing you are trying to work with your fellow players to plot out how to deal with the various threats. You do this by laying out movement cards, very much in the style of Robo-Rally. Once the audio track is over, you go through and actually execute the turns you plotted out and see how hilariously poorly you did. The game provides several learning tutorials where it steadily introduces new mechanics. It is very, very, very tense. You effectively need to plot out the entire game while the audio is constantly yelling at you and emitting annoying siren noises. I tried to play this solitaire once and I think I almost had an aneurysm.
I have been lobbying for Space Alert in the different iterations of this thread for years. Glad to see someone else mention it! It should really be up the alley of MMORPG players too since it's the board game equivalent of a tricky and exciting single group encounter that requires teamwork, task splitting, good communication and fast decision making. Highly re-playable too since there is an element of randomness that has a big impact on how to go about things (there is a limited number of soundtracks, but a large number of threats combinations) and there is a score system to record previous failures/successes.

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
I have been lobbying for Space Alert in the different iterations of this thread for years. Glad to see someone else mention it! It should really be up the alley of MMORPG players too since it's the board game equivalent of a tricky and exciting single group encounter that requires teamwork, task splitting, good communication and fast decision making. Highly re-playable too since there is an element of randomness that has a big impact on how to go about things (there is a limited number of soundtracks, but a large number of threats combinations) and there is a score system to record previous failures/successes.
Not to mention a campaign system in the expansion to give it more of a progressiony RPG feel. Sadly, this doesn't actually hit the table much around here. One of the main people I play games with doesn't like the stress of playing against brutal cooperatives, and while I can talk her into some of the more casual ones from time to time, I could also just play those entirely solitaire by multitasking the different players myself. With the heavy time pressure of Space Alert, that just isn't really possible, sadly.

Hatorade

A nice asshole.
Mice and Mystics
First let me say wow does my 6 almost 7 year old really love the action, she didn't really listen to well as I read the prologue but once I broke it down for her in terms she understood(using various episode of adventure time and my little pony) she was all excited. She picked the healer class mainly because she was the only female in the party so far. There is another but first chapter she isn't introduced yet and unplayable, the wife evened out the group playing as the tank/dps while I picked the support and caster role.
I read the setup and basic rules real quick, and each time it was some ones turn I simply reminded them of their options and they had free range to choose, I made sure everyone understood what the numbers/symbols on their player cards meant as the came up. Example:
Me: You can move, search, or battle this turn.
Them: I want to move.
Me: Ok what number is next to your green foot
Them: Two
Me: Ok roll two dice and add the numbers.
Few rounds of this I had to stop telling people how many dice to roll and what the symbols meant etc. Things really took off and before we knew it 3 hours went by and we only stopped because we had to(everyone up early next day) not because we wanted to.

As far as the actually game goes from a long time video game/RPG player it is fairly basic stuff, only some of the scroll(magic) abilities really require thought and even then it is minimal. While not boring it doesn't leave room for creative solutions to battles/problems. The wife really dislikes things with lots of conversion tables, even things like Munchkin turns her off due to all the equipment slots/cards to manage. The board, the pieces, the story, simple rules really drew her in enough to forgot to stress over what she was supposed to remember and instead started just doing what she thought was a good idea and left the conversions to me. I doubt she would play with out her daughter but she did warm up quick to it.
There is a ton of stuff online talking about the rest of the games qualities but I want to let you all know how it went for my family. I look forward to playing it a lot more and definitely something to play when other couples with kids come over, only issue is 4 players maximum is recommended unless you want the fifth to just be the DM.

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Yeah that's the beauty of that game though, you can just have all 5-6 characters playing, and the only real net effect is the game is somewhat easier.

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
3 days to go on Cthulhu Warshttp://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...0/cthulhu-wars

About to hit 1 million buckaroos!
I sort of wish that you could just buy a version of that game without miniatures.

Don't get me wrong, the miniatures are *amazing*, and I'm sure a bunch of people are grabbing the game just for those, but 150$ just for the base game is really pricey, scaling all the way up to 525$ for everything. It's the main thing that's kept me away from this so far (well, that and the fact that I tend to prefer low luck games, and the combat system looks to be amazingly random)

Wish they would have split this off into "Just the game" and "Game + miniatures" pledge tiers. It would have meant printing out more cardboard bits for just the game, but they've already got plenty of other cardboard markers, etc.

Anyway, I'll probably keep hemming and hawing about whether or not to back this until the very last second.

Onoes

Trakanon Raider
Haha, yeah, I'm in the opposite boat, I've begged for a "just the miniatures pack*. Hell, maybe I'll end up selling the game sans figures for $50 if I don't end up liking it.

Grumpus

Molten Core Raider
Just played 2 games of "Spartacus a game of Blood and Treachery"

rrr_img_35758.jpg

If you enjoy having fun you need to buy this game. If you enjoy watching people get angry you need to buy this game. If you enjoy board games at all you need buy this game.

I have a board game group that plays every Friday night, we switch up the games regularly and this was unanimously the best game we have played so far.

It might be rough if you play with people who are quick to anger so be warned.

This game is fucking amazing and its cheap as hell. Go buy it, thank me later.

Fealorn

<Bronze Donator>
I 2nd Spartacus. I find its best with 4 players tho, it doesn't really work with less. Good news is that an expansion is due out soon that will let you play up to 6 people.

Angerz

Trakanon Raider
I 2nd Spartacus. I find its best with 4 players tho, it doesn't really work with less. Good news is that an expansion is due out soon that will let you play up to 6 people.
It is out, I have it, but have not yet played with it.

meStevo

I think your wife's a bigfoot gus.
<Silver Donator>
Last week we peeled out all the expansion content and played vanilla Battlestar Galactica. Never realized how much all the expansion mechanics got in the way of good old-fashioned paranoia. Great game, and for like the 4th time the guy who had never played before was a Cylon. That may have to be everyone's introduction to the game... "this is how we put you in the brig, this is how we execute your lying toaster ass..."

Golgotha_sl

shitlord
Dungeon Twist 2: Prison
Puzzle Strike

Does anyone have any opinions on either of these games?

Dungeon Twist just looked like a solid strategy game for two players, which I was looking for.

As far as Puzzle Strike goes, I started looking at Dominion, I liked the idea of deck building game, but the low player interaction made it look unfun. Someone had mentioned Puzzle Strike as being a similar but better game, and after watching a video, it seems much more interesting then Dominion.

Goldenmean_sl

shitlord
Dungeon Twist 2: Prison
Puzzle Strike

Does anyone have any opinions on either of these games?
I own both, but I haven't touched Dungeon Twister in years (not a commentary on the game itself, I just have a LOT of games in rotation).

Dungeon Twister is interesting. It's a highly tactical game with very little luck. The ability to rotate the boards mid-game makes for some interesting options that you need to account for in your strategy. I've heard some critiques that some of the optimal strategies are those that actually minimize interactions between the players, turtling and the like, but I didn't play long enough to really get to the point where I was min-maxing to that level, so I can't comment there.

Puzzle Strike I like quite a lot. I think both are worthy games that fill the same niche, but if you've got to pick one, I'd go for Puzzle Strike. Not sure if you're aware, but you can actually play a limited version of the game online to make sure you like it:http://www.fantasystrike.com/game/index.php. It fixes a lot of things people tend to dislike about deckbuilders. Jumbling chips in a bag is a lot less annoying than shuffling a tiny deck every couple turns, and it's certainly one of the more interactive deckbuilders. On top of that, it's got a lot of replayability because every character has a set of unique moves that do a lot to inform your strategy.

Szlia

Finally got to play a legendary game from the '80s that got rereleased in 2009:Tales of the Arabian Nights!

The game is set in the world of the 1001 Nights, and each player take the part of a hero that leaves Baghdad to go on a quest around the world. As they travel, the heroes make unexpected encounters that may affect their wealth, their destiny, provide them with stories worth telling, teach them new abilities, make them discover mythical places or affect their status. The goal of the game is to be the first to gather a set amount of destiny and story points (a total of 20 points, but each player secretly choses the balance between story and destiny - 6 story points and 14 destiny points for instance) and go back to Baghdad.

The originality of the game comes from the fact that there are a dozen skills and two dozen statuses, that each encounter directs you to a table with several variations and that the player then chooses a behavior toward the encounter, that the combination of the two is affected by a destiny roll to go to one of the three corresponding encounter result and there there is a little story that happens that is conditioned by the player choices, his skills and statuses. There is a big tome that comes with the game and it has more than 2000 entries in it that are as many little tales. Example: I ventured in a forest in Europe and stumbled on a group of Merry Brigands (combination of encounter card and dice roll). I chose to follow them (each encounter points to one of 20 attitude list that have a dozen attitude each), but they noticed me (one of the three version determined by a roll), I had the opportunity to use my "quick thinking" skill, resulting in me pretending to be a travelling entertainer. They asked for a demonstration, politely clapped... and then robbed me! (destiny +1, story +1, wealth -1).

The entertainment obviously comes from the many amusing stories, spiced by the often unexpected outcome of the choices players have to make and the many dilemma they entail. The limit of the game is that there is very little player interactions and no real strategy to speak of. It's just the pleasure to see yourself and others have crazy adventures. That makes it a pretty good game to play with beginners or with people who are not too keen on competitive play. Also note that the replay value is pretty high, because there is a number of special stories that are a little more in depth (a dozen special places + a dozen special encounters), but it's unlikely to see more than a couple of those in a session and of course luck/skills/statuses/choices affect how they play out.

It can be played from 1 to 6 players. We played with 3 and the game lasted about 3.5 hours, but we had to read the rules and figure out the mechanics.

Murf

Trakanon Raider
I've shifted my geek focus from video games to board games lately and have been working on a small collection, I was getting sick of Monopoly and the like and started looking into tabletop stuff. Started with Settlers, since I could check it out in limited form on Xbox arcade for free and find it locally, and took off from there.

I had no idea about the kind of board and card games that have been coming out over the last decade or two......tons of fun. I've been lurking this thread, watching Tabletop episodes, watching Dice Tower top ten lists, checking out board game geek and other stuff. I have about 15 games now and I just wanted to touch on some of the stand outs for me if anyone is on the fence and appreciate a strangers opinion.

Summoner Wars - Me and the gf have played the shit out of this one, and she had virtually no gaming background. It can play 4 but it's a 2 player game at it's core. I started off with the master set, good variety and value considering the starter packs price, and have since slowly purchased every add on available, even pre-ordering the newest 2nd summoners directly from Plaid Hat games. Really simple mechanics to pick up and play, but a ton of depth with some LCG type deckbuilding with new units, champions, and 2nd summoners with different spells/abilities for 6 of the 16 available factions which each have a different feel from turtling to rushing to sneaky underhand tactics of the Cloaks to pulling units from the discard piles for Fallen Kingdom, the obligatory undead faction. There's even a mercenary faction with tons of extra units usable with any of the factions. iOS version is also out there but it's missing a lot of add ons.

King of Tokyo - Not much else to say about this one, everyone who I've played it with loves it, from kiddo to Mom/aunt. Plays really quick even with 4-5 and you have tons of fun even while getting bashed to death. Love it.

Android Netrunner - Most recent addition to the collection, but it's quickly caught up in times played. I was never much for deckbuilding but I dig toying around with the stuff in the core set and LCG format is much more my pace as far as expanding the game rather then CCG. No add ons for it yet but I'm sure I'll pick some up after I wear out the core set. Well balanced asymmetrical card game.

Another game I don't remember seeing mentioned is Boss Monster. Card game with 8-bit pixel art with a theme of being the big bad guy at the end of the video game dungeon. You build your dungeon with the goal of attracting heroes from the village who are each attracted to a certain type of treasure and have the traps/monster rooms kill them before they reach you to deal a wound. 2-4 players, not a must buy but it is fun to play even if just for the video game references.

Also picked up Agricola and Dominion, which lead to Lords of Waterdeep and Thunderstone...Smallworld, Ticket to Ride, Munchkin, Smash Up, Sentinels of the Multiverse. Nothing I wouldn't recommend or regret picking up.

I've stuck with mostly lighter stuff since most of it gets played with gf and 9 yr old, sometimes family if we/they are in town. Would love to check out stuff like Twilight Imperium, Descent 2e or Arkham Horror, I just don't have a group of like minded folks I could convince to play.

Breakdown

Gunnar Durden
This may be the wrong thread but I'll try it.

I have 3 friends and we are all kind of wanting to play dungeons and dragons. We all have kind of half assed played in our life and play all the video games but want to try out a tabletop version and just kind of have fun with it. None of us have ever been a gm. Is there any kind of website or software that is like a virtual dm? Like where we could do a campaign or two to learn the game and eventually dm ourselves once we get better at the specifics?

Like I doubt I could manage a game but would love even a rudimentary program we can kind of load our characters into and play through. Seems like most of the sites I find have the tools for a dm but nothing that it manages.

Ideally we all sit at a table with a book, a character sheet and a laptop that guides us through the adventure.