Board Games

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We played The Resistance in my gaming group last week. Fairly casual game players, although we meet once a week. It's my sister, her boyfriend, my mother-in law, brother-in-law, brother, fiance, my wife, and myself - so 8 people. I think it was 3/5 spies/resistance.

I enjoyed the theory behind the game. I respected the strategy that could be employed. I enjoyed being deceitful. We had two major problems though.

First problem, my brother's fiance. I explained the rules twice and she went "I don't understand at all." Ok, let's play through slowly. "I don't get it." Ok. Let's play some games. The entire time she kept going "I DON'T FUCKING GET THIS GAME" and saying "This game is much stupider than I thought." Even in one game the spies won a victory and she got up laughing at everyone and cheering - wonder if she was a spy????? It's a real downer when someone can really drag the game down like that. Even things like voting on mission people she always did "Accept" no matter who was on the team. Absolutely zero strategy. It was basically a 7-player game at this point with a disposable person just sitting there. Also she may have been playing wrong with the success/fail cards. Even though I explained that the Spies were the only ones that could fail a mission, I had my doubts after her not understanding anything. BTW, this is the same person that did not understand Clue.. literally, at all.

Second major issue. People need an imagination. I found people weren't really strategizing enough. When I saw people picking members for mission, I was basing my decisions on who I thought were on each side. I feel like a lot of people were just voting on a coin flip in their head. Also a lot of people were really quiet. Me, my sister, and her boyfriend were actively accusing people of being spies, claiming our innocence, etc. I think without us, people would have been bored in a minute. If everyone played like us it would have been amazing.

That said, with the right group of people this could have been really awesome. With the exception of fiance and my brother, everyone said they loved it - even if they weren't as vocal as us. The gameplay was quick and dirty. We did have to use the alternate rule in the book because spies were winning every single game (this comes down to people accepting every team assigned to missions). The alternate rule was the spies didn't know who the other spies were - in this case they didn't win nearly as much.

Going to buy Settlers of Catan and Lords of Waterdeep next! I am turning into a board game geek. In the past few months I went from 0 games to over 20, and looking more and more into indie games. Plus, this is great for our family to come together every week.

icarr757_sl

shitlord
Catan and Waterdeep are great games for fun. If you are really starting to enjoy boadgames I highly recomend watching the Dicetower.com. They do many reviews, recomendations for games of low/med/high skill level and are just fun to watch.

If brother and sig other do not like catan/waterdeep, hey games are not for everyone. Just make sure they are not dragging others down. My gaming group had to move location to the hosts job (nice big conference table) because his wife had not interest in playing games but wanted to sit at the table and talk constantly.

Just ordered Francis Drake from Amazon, hoping for another great game!

Vilgan_sl

shitlord
If you are interested in waterdeep, I'd suggest looking at Castles of Burgundy instead. It has a lot of the same mechanics but without the annoying as fuck "mandatory quest" nonsense. I despise waterdeep but love burgundy, and it is the fiancee's favorite game BY FAR. Also plays well with 2 players which not all games can do.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Strip or drinking Catan is GREAT!

Each settlement costs a piece of clothing in addition to the rest of the cost or a shot. Rules like that.

We started off with drinking and settlers and ended up playing strip settlers. Was quite fun.

I do suggest you get some kind of board retainer for settlers though. Something to go around the outside or buy one of those truly fancy boards. It makes it a ton easier for setup and play. Nothing more annoying than the tiles slopping around everywhere.

Cupcaek

Molten Core Raider
We played The Resistance in my gaming group last week. Fairly casual game players, although we meet once a week. It's my sister, her boyfriend, my mother-in law, brother-in-law, brother, fiance, my wife, and myself - so 8 people. I think it was 3/5 spies/resistance.

Going to buy Settlers of Catan and Lords of Waterdeep next! I am turning into a board game geek. In the past few months I went from 0 games to over 20, and looking more and more into indie games. Plus, this is great for our family to come together every week.

Strip or drinking Catan is GREAT!

Each settlement costs a piece of clothing in addition to the rest of the cost or a shot. Rules like that.

We started off with drinking and settlers and ended up playing strip settlers. Was quite fun.
Sounds like a great group of people to play strip Catan with.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
I played it with my in-laws!

I was more just putting it out there for the future. Plus the drinking doesn't have to be creepy like the stripping.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
We could do drinking but we're all light weights. Plus with the 'betes I have a feeling I'd be passed out in one round.

Crone

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Tried playing Munchkin recently with someone like that Noodle. They were just like, I don't get it, and didn't really understand much about it, or even tried to know much about it. Can really ruin game night!

faille

Molten Core Raider
Played Bang! The dice game, on the weekend. Tons of fun. It's a dice rolling game where everyone has different hidden roles, along with different character classes.
Review explains it better than I can, but I will say that with 8 players it was a ton of fun. The theme really works well and we had plenty of jokes about the crazy Sheriff playing with dynamite since twice in a row he rolled dynamite to blow himself up! 8 players did drag a little but the game was done in around 30 minutes still.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Tried playing Munchkin recently with someone like that Noodle. They were just like, I don't get it, and didn't really understand much about it, or even tried to know much about it. Can really ruin game night!
Yeah man, it sucked. She's kind of stupid with games and doesn't understand strategy. It was the same with monopoly and also clue like I said. I mean.. how can you not understand clue? Really dragged down the night. And I was really excited to play the Resistance too, just made me sad.

Arden

Blackwing Lair Raider
We played The Resistance in my gaming group last week. Fairly casual game players, although we meet once a week. It's my sister, her boyfriend, my mother-in law, brother-in-law, brother, fiance, my wife, and myself - so 8 people.
Not to overanalyze this, but it just seems like one of those logic games from when I took the LSAT years ago and I feel compelled to ask:

You mentioned one sister but then made it clear that her "boyfriend" was also playing. Then you mention a "brother in law" but you never mention a second sister. Does your sister havebotha boyfriend and a husband, or do you have a second sister whose husband plays but she abstains?

Golgotha_sl

shitlord
He mentions a wife....who has a brother?

Finally played Castles of Burgundy last night. Very enjoy able game, its a Euro with dice!

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
Not to overanalyze this, but it just seems like one of those logic games from when I took the LSAT years ago and I feel compelled to ask:

You mentioned one sister but then made it clear that her "boyfriend" was also playing. Then you mention a "brother in law" but you never mention a second sister. Does your sister havebotha boyfriend and a husband, or do you have a second sister whose husband plays but she abstains?
Sorry if it was confusing. To make it simpler it was my brother and sister plus their significant others, my wife, her mother, and her brother.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Used to play the hell out of Advanced Squad Leader in high school, but never got a chance to play any afterwards. Have no idea where my old stuff was, so just recently ordered the rule book and Beyond Valor and going to try and learn the game again before hooking up with a local group that plays. Can't wait for the shit to arrive in the mail, so many memories!

Fury

Silver Knight of the Realm
Played yet another new game last weekend -Seasons. It ended up pretty good. Mostly it's a resourse kind of building game, except they call it energy. The second game we played I tried a tactic to get free vp, while at the same time lowering everyone elses. Needless to say, it was a total fail since you have to spend your energy to lower theirs and you simply can't block other players gaining vp fast enough to make it work.

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Seasons is a super fun game and one of my favorites released last year. We have played a couple dozen games now and with the expansions added in it doesn't get stale.

Got the chance to play Love Letter this past weekend. If you are looking for something fast and fun that is screw your neighbor, it's a decent enough game. Not a lot of super hard decisions but bonus is we were able to play with my buddies 7 year old daughter and still had fun as adults.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Bumping the thread with some updates...

If Descent 2E players haven't noticed yet "Forgotten Souls" AKA the entirely Coop (no Overlord player) variant rules are out on the FFG website and the printed parts are "print on demand" that you place an order there to get for use. Ordered my set Sunday when I noticed, expected here today through Thursday for shipping projection.

And apparently a rather decent looking XCOM: EU boardgame got announced by FFG today as well.

And of course for those that are into the Pathfinder ACG - Set 2 starts next month - but in addition they're starting some sort of League thing with the Guild system for RL stores to run soon AND in addition to Set 2 coming out (with expansions every month instead of every 2 months) there's going to be class packs coming at the end of this month/early next month with four variants of each class - and supposedly the "old" variant (i.e. Valeros for Fighter) is still a new version of the old character.

Nite1

<WoW Guild Officer>
Has anyone ever ordered from either herebebooks.com or cardhaus.com?
Been trying to get a copy of betrayal at house on the hill but im not looking to spend 80 to 100 dollars and these sites have it for 40 to 50 but ive never even heard of them