Bojack Horseman

• Guest, it's time once again for the hotly contested and exciting FoH Asshat Tournament!

Go here and fill out your bracket!
    Who's been the biggest Asshat in the last year? Once again, only you can decide!

Kiki

Log Wizard
Diane was pretty insufferable this season.

I would fuck fat Allison Brie.

Or maybe not:

1580856760768.png

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
Final episodes are out. Overall the weakest season of them all. Only one episode stood out for me (15)

Pretty unsatisfying ending to what was a truly amazing series.

I sorta liked that the first half of the season felt more like a long, slow unwinding than having it's own story arc. We're just kinda hanging out with them as things fade out. The episodes weren't great but I was fine with it. Then at the end of that first half we're introduced to two incredibly annoying snappy 1930s style caricatures out to investigate Sara Lynn and I was immediately disappointed. A dark time Bojack thought he had buried is uncovered and the revelation causes him to spiral out again etc etc etc. I didn't like the constant on the wagon/off the wagon cycle Dennis Leary's character in Rescue Me went through and I don't like it here.

This concluding half was fine even though it was what I didn't want it to be. This show occasionally will re-contextualize something we saw (or retcon if you prefer) to make an event worse than it was first portrayed and that never sits well with me. Sara Lynn's death was worse than you knew! The situation with Herb was worse/different than you knew! Meh. I was more invested in everyone that wasn't Bojack and liked seeing them move forward.

My favorite stuff is still the episodes in season four where we see Beatrice's history and the visual depiction of dementia. People really thought episode 15 of this season was whoa man deep but I'm old enough to have seen those themes repeated many, many times. If this show had continued on in to season 7, 8 and 9 I'd probably really have soured on it but as things stand it stayed just the right amount of time for me. I gave up on House before it's final season even and I wanted to give up on Rescue Me. If you're going to have your protagonist be a substance abuser that oscillates between trying to get clean and fucking everything up royally you need to have an exit strategy.

"You won't believe what happens this season when King Sisyphus pushes his boulder to the top of the mountain." Let me guess. The boulder rolls back down.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user