Book of the Month - Merged

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Started last night.

Finished last night.

It's not a big book, but I really wish I had gone in without knowing all the broad strokes beforehand.

Grimmlokk

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Soooo, anyone else read this?

I loved it, cover to cover. Even knowing basically where it was going. Would have been even better if I came in to it blind. It's like an international spy/detective story, with Nazis.

Really enjoyed and pleasantly surprised how he managed to tell both sides of the story coherently and without seeming to skimp in such a short book. One of the best stories I've read as far as keeping the protagonist and antagonist both mostly in the dark about the actions/plans/motivations of their counterpart, while giving the reader enough to feel like they know what's going on without knowing exactly what will happen next.

In less than 200 pages.

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Every time I run this through Calibre to either put it on my kindle or pdf it to read at work, it fucks it up and makes it unreadable. I will have to look online and find a different copy maybe.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Spoilers lifted!

I thought it was decent. But like Grimmlokk I knew what was going to happen because of Archer. This actually would have made a good X-Files ep
smile.png

chaos

Buzzfeed Editor
Just a heads up to everyone, the club is resuming in October after an unfortunate lapse for the month of September. Please harass a_skeleton_03 with any suggestions for books or genres you would like to see coming up.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Sorry Tarrant I don't know if you saw my couple posts in Ask Amod about it but I got too much hate and bitching for not picking every person's books. I will just grab books that I want to be voted on.

THAT ISN'T TO SAY THAT THEY WON'T BE SOME OF YOUR SUGGESTIONS OR OTHERS

I am just not holding myself up to some end of a bargain any more. What I put in the poll is what goes in the poll. If you want to vote, vote. If you don't then don't.

Don't complain about the books that get put up for vote. I could not believe the bitching in the last one.

Seventh

Golden Squire
Late to the party, but I finished this last night. Awesome recommendation, thought it kicked ass.

I think I mentioned this already but it's worth repeating if so - the audiobook narrator is fucking awful. I started this on audio and ended up stopping about 3 hours in, switched to the ebook and very glad I did.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
TV-Show FX -The Strainby Guillermo Del Toro

cover.png

A Boeing 777 arrives at JFK and is on its way across the tarmac, when it suddenly stops dead. All window shades are pulled down. All lights are out. All communication channels have gone quiet. Crews on the ground are lost for answers, but an alert goes out to the CDC. Dr. Eph Goodweather, head of their Canary project, a rapid-response team that investigates biological threats, gets the call and boards the plane. What he finds makes his blood run cold.

In a pawnshop in Spanish Harlem, a former professor and survivor of the Holocaust named Abraham Setrakian knows something is happening. And he knows the time has come, that a war is brewing . . .

So begins a battle of mammoth proportions as the vampiric virus that has infected New York begins to spill out into the streets. Eph, who is joined by Setrakian and a motley crew of fighters, must now find a way to stop the contagion and save his city--a city that includes his wife and son--before it is too late.

Posting schedule:

Book thread posted 1st of the month.
Reading begins 8th of the month.
Spoilers lifted 22nd of the month and next month's poll opens.

No posts from 1st-7th about the book or plot, can only post that you're participating.

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
Please notify if the download links don't work for anyone. Remember I will always put a copy of the ebooks up so no need to get them yourselves if you don't want to. I figure you can check it out of a library for free you can check out here for free and if you like it, buy it later.

khalid

Unelected Mod
Btw, for those curious about the audiobook. It is narrated by Ron Perlman, which is pretty awesome.

Zodiac

Lord Nagafen Raider
I finished this already. Decent book and an easy read.

Book Spoilers - don't read unless you finished:

I didn't realize that this was a trilogy and even up until the last few pages I kept thinking they would kill the master and like all the other vamps would instantly die or something. Had mixed feelings when I figured out more books were to come. Not sure if I liked the characters/setting enough to read two more books.

Lusiphur

Peasant
I am about halfway through and it isn't really grabbing me. I guess this kind of thing has been done just one too many times before. Also, given the prevalence of this mythology in modern culture, the fact that people are finding it hard to swallow that it is
vampires
seems far fetched.
Far from the worst thing I have ever read though. More thoughts when I am finished it.