Boomers learning computers for the first time!

Siddar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Argh!!!!

Trying to teach my father how to use a computer. So his wife was the member of his household that could use a computer. This allowed him to skip the computer revolution up until his wife died. Now everyone thinks its up to me to teach him how. He says he wants to learn but I have my doubts. But everytime the issue comes up with other member of family he plays dumb and then those other members come bitch at me about why I haven't taught him.

But I have made the effort to teach him he just simply refuses to learn. He is just trying to out stubborn a computer. he seems to under the impression that this will somehow work. So I set up wifi internet for him good because he doesn't have to touch anything there. Next he goes turning computer on it laptop with auto start on opening it so good there. Next we go to password for computer big problem he simply refuse to memorize are write it down. His view is radio and television don't require passwords so why should he have to learn one for a computer. He has no trouble remembering password for bankcards though he seems to think if he stubborn enough that the computer will relent. So I end up remembering his password for him so we get past that. Then it on to next issue of finding the button to push to opening up internet totally clueless in spite of having been told how to multiple time at least ten that its the multi colored circle. Ok so everytime he uses the computer. So I get a call as to whats the icon again that opens the internet. Next is the real show stopper in that he refuses use the search box he instead trys to only navigate the web by clicking things. The end result is always wanders off into some foreign language sites and then wont close down and start over because it means he will have repeat finding the internet again.

Iv'e told him he is limiting himself greatly by his refusal to just type in what he is looking for. But again he always attempt to just out stubborn the computer. I feel he is simply at point where he has to decide does he want to use the computer are continue being stubborn. He is at basic point where I think most people that didn't have computers sense birth. That point being of if you're going to make effort to learn how use them. Or just continue on without. It know it took me several years to finally embrace computers. It wasn't an all at once type thing so not really expect my father to any different.

But the damn bitching from family member I here about it driving me crazy.

So any ideas?

• 1Like
  • 1Salty
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Bubbles

2022 Asshat Award Winner
<Bronze Donator>
Just "browsing" the web is pointless for older people. What are his hobbies? Show him something related to that, something that would really interest him. That gets him hooked. Then find an active online community of said hobby. Not FoH. There are some fucking weirdos in here.

• 1Garbage
Reactions: 1 user

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Tell him bluntly that he is going to have to stop acting like a stubborn child if he wants to learn how to use it. Point out that he is wasting everyone's time and creating frustration, and then replace him with a new father because it's a pointless battle you cannot win.

• 2Worf
  • 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 4 users

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
For my mother I cleared her desktop of everything but direct links to what she was interested in or needed at 1st. I also pinned the couple programs she needed to the task bar. Making the icons huge really helped for some reason, even though she has 20/20. Naming them what she wanted was another big help. Like the Chrome shortcut is just "The Internet". I slowly introduced how tabs worked...Took about a month of her doing things at her own pace. Now? She is using apps and shit on her phone. We stream everything in the house etc...

Don't teach him your way...Just a way he will get and accept and understand. And whatever you do, don't make him feel stupid!

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Browser should launch at startup, and be the only thing on the desktop he can click. Power plan setting for laptop should be set to shutdown laptop with lid close.

If the laptop doesn’t leave the house he doesn’t need a password for it. Just make sure the account he uses does not have admin access and change his dns to use opendns servers so you avoid problems in the first place.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Kiki

Log Wizard
Don't do computerwork for family members, unless they pay, sometimes not even if they pay. If he wants to open the internet, he needs to pay your hourly fee. Maybe spending $80 to figure out what icon to click will help his memory.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For my stepdad I made links on the desktop for every site that's important - bank, email, work hour logging. They say explicitly what the fuck they are. He can then navigate based on that. If the dude is too stubborn to write down a password it's beyond you man. You've done what you can. Just write down the shit he needs and tape it onto the empty part next to the touchpad

Sanrith Descartes

Veteran of a thousand threadban wars
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Be like 75% of the office space in America and write the log in info on a yellow sticky note on the monitor. Seriously it isnt your dad. The majority of people really are computer stupid/lazy. It isnt an age thing. Most kids are only literate on mobile devices. They get lost on real computers also.

If he isnt doing banking and finance shit on his computer than dont think like you would about infosec. My father-in-law has a little book next to his keyboard with all his log in info for his accounts. At first it bugged me and then I was like if someone is in his house and gets to the book the problem isnt the book, it's that someone is in his house.

Borzak

Bronze Baron of the Realm
I wonder how you get that age with zero computer knowledge. My dad is 80 and is Mr. Anti technology and can at least browse and move files on the computer. My grandmother is 98 and uses a cell phone. No computer. But anyone around 65 now I wonder how they got to that age without any computer knowledge required for work and such.

a_skeleton_05

<Banned>
Some people are literally afraid of or confused by technology and their brains shut down when approached with learning how to use it. This is not uncommon and is similar to how some people simply cannot learn math beyond a very basic level without getting really upset. It's an automatic response of sorts. I've always assumed it has something to do with a physical issue that prohibits them from juggling logic related variables in their thought process.

My mother had a wall built up between her and technology, and any attempt to force my way through that wall to teach her something would trigger a fear/anxiety response. It was the exact same that I saw from some people that I tried to teach some pretty rudimentary math.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
For my stepdad he drives oil trucks for a living. In his day to day life he has had zero interaction with PCs. Until recently at least where they make him sign in to log hours

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
I know people my age that still can't handle passwords. I think it's a specific mental deficiency, not age.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Argh!!!!

Trying to teach my father how to use a computer. So his wife was the member of his household that could use a computer. This allowed him to skip the computer revolution up until his wife died. Now everyone thinks its up to me to teach him how. He says he wants to learn but I have my doubts. But everytime the issue comes up with other member of family he plays dumb and then those other members come bitch at me about why I haven't taught him.

But I have made the effort to teach him he just simply refuses to learn. He is just trying to out stubborn a computer. he seems to under the impression that this will somehow work. So I set up wifi internet for him good because he doesn't have to touch anything there. Next he goes turning computer on it laptop with auto start on opening it so good there. Next we go to password for computer big problem he simply refuse to memorize are write it down. His view is radio and television don't require passwords so why should he have to learn one for a computer. He has no trouble remembering password for bankcards though he seems to think if he stubborn enough that the computer will relent. So I end up remembering his password for him so we get past that. Then it on to next issue of finding the button to push to opening up internet totally clueless in spite of having been told how to multiple time at least ten that its the multi colored circle. Ok so everytime he uses the computer. So I get a call as to whats the icon again that opens the internet. Next is the real show stopper in that he refuses use the search box he instead trys to only navigate the web by clicking things. The end result is always wanders off into some foreign language sites and then wont close down and start over because it means he will have repeat finding the internet again.

Iv'e told him he is limiting himself greatly by his refusal to just type in what he is looking for. But again he always attempt to just out stubborn the computer. I feel he is simply at point where he has to decide does he want to use the computer are continue being stubborn. He is at basic point where I think most people that didn't have computers sense birth. That point being of if you're going to make effort to learn how use them. Or just continue on without. It know it took me several years to finally embrace computers. It wasn't an all at once type thing so not really expect my father to any different.

But the damn bitching from family member I here about it driving me crazy.

So any ideas?
yea skip the computer, just let him learn on the tablet.

the hugest barrier to entry for old ppl is in the interface mouse and keyboard, tablet makes it almost a direct connection.

get an ipad, while they have the most inane settings and shit, it is made so that the most low tier person can use it.

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
Over Christmas I learned my Aunt still uses a flip phone. I told her Jan 1, 2021 her cell phone service isn't going to work anymore (Verizon) because her flip phone only has CDMA service which is being shut off then and that she'd have to get a smartphone with LTE. Many references were made to "they always like to screw us old people over." It was kind of hilarious though when she asked me how to use her laptop's webcam and I set up Google Duo and it wanted to send her a text message for account verification, and she doesn't have texting so it had to call her.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Over Christmas I learned my Aunt still uses a flip phone. I told her Jan 1, 2021 her cell phone service isn't going to work anymore (Verizon) because her flip phone only has CDMA service which is being shut off then and that she'd have to get a smartphone with LTE. Many references were made to "they always like to screw us old people over." It was kind of hilarious though when she asked me how to use her laptop's webcam and I set up Google Duo and it wanted to send her a text message for account verification, and she doesn't have texting so it had to call her.
yo wtf, i still pay for vastly overpriced verizon cuz they have the best service, out here in KS i'm lucky if i get 4g or LTE!!!

i remember when i first got here, i got my realtors voice mail a lot, i thought he was putting me off, but no, he drives around a lot (cuz he's a realtor) and says that service just sucks, i'll get to know it soon... he ain't lie, i get 3G in a lot of places (specifically harbor freight, its in the bad ghetto and i'm just standing there in the aisle hoping for a page to load)

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
yo wtf, i still pay for vastly overpriced verizon cuz they have the best service, out here in KS i'm lucky if i get 4g or LTE!!!

i remember when i first got here, i got my realtors voice mail a lot, i thought he was putting me off, but no, he drives around a lot (cuz he's a realtor) and says that service just sucks, i'll get to know it soon... he ain't lie, i get 3G in a lot of places (specifically harbor freight, its in the bad ghetto and i'm just standing there in the aisle hoping for a page to load)

Don't know what to tell you. I have T-Mobile and it's worse from what other's tell me. If I'm in a spot with no cell service and I'm ready to pick up an Uber rider, they have Verizon service and I ain't got shit. I'm the black guys from Spaceballs in the desert.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Don't know what to tell you. I have T-Mobile and it's worse from what other's tell me. If I'm in a spot with no cell service and I'm ready to pick up an Uber rider, they have Verizon service and I ain't got shit. I'm the black guys from Spaceballs in the desert.
yea thats what i'm saying, once verizon nix's cdma, then i'll have cell service like all the plebs!

Wake Up Man
<Banned>
yea thats what i'm saying, once verizon nix's cdma, then i'll have cell service like all the plebs!

Well look into it now before it becomes a problem in less than a year. Supposedly everyone is rolling out 5G which is blocked by tree leaves just like satellite radio so I don't know how that will help.