Bricked PS3's

Lenas

Trump's Staff
You can use an external USB hard drive if you want. Not sure if you can run games off of one, but you can do music/movies etc.

Also, I have a first gen slim and I've never noticed it getting unusually hot.

Noodleface

A Mod Real Quick
I've tried it on the PC and it works (slowly), was just curious. Can you copy all of your games/saves/etc from the native hard drive to a new one in some fashion? I think mine has the 120GB and I'm running out of space.

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
I've tried it on the PC and it works (slowly), was just curious. Can you copy all of your games/saves/etc from the native hard drive to a new one in some fashion? I think mine has the 120GB and I'm running out of space.
Supposedly, yes (although some saves are probably locked) - may just be easier if you're considering it to thumb drive the small files like saves and then just replace the drive and re-DL all the big files. (Or use the PS+ backup on save games ideally - not all saves are copiable under the normal system but all can be backed up with PS+)

And good to hear Brad - I guess I should've said that's the "failure" I ended up dealing with when I had to reformat mine and had the trouble. (Although after switching drives [while the cat-apulted PS3 was in the shop I kept it's drive] it's original drive started working again...)

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
These are just 2.5 inch laptop hard drives right? Can you hook them up to a PC and 'clean all' them with diskpart and try using them again?

Vaclav

The formatting is weird - I forget which format type you have to stick to, but it only acknowledges one type. But in theory yes.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
Right, you clean it with diskpart and then format it to fat32. That's not even remotely hard, and it would probably fix almost any disk that doesn't actually suffer from mechanical failure.

Vaclav

Right, you clean it with diskpart and then format it to fat32. That's not even remotely hard, and it would probably fix almost any disk that doesn't actually suffer from mechanical failure.
Nod - the PS3 OS does seem to catch it at times too to do it as well though. After I swapped the disk back in for my old (now wife's PS3) PS3 it caught that the disk needed to be reformatted and partitioned and did it auto - it had not been doing it previously however. [And I was thinking it was NTSF only or whatever the N one is, so good thing I stayed iffy on it - because FAT32 definitely sounds right...]

DickTrickle

Definitely NOT Furor Planedefiler
Make sure the height of any disk you buy is 0.4 inches and not 0.5 inches. I made that annoying mistake.

Brad2770

Make sure the height of any disk you buy is 0.4 inches and not 0.5 inches. I made that annoying mistake.
Thanks. Shopping for one now.

Mine is the 80gb Metal Gear Solid backwards compatible PS3. If I get a 500gb drive, do I need to do anything special to get it to recognize the extra space?

Vaclav

For 500 GB don't need to do anything - there's an upper limit that they have I think at 2 TB or something like that though. And even those work they just don't see the extra space. [Like back in the day when you put a drive that was too big on a PC - drive still functioned just didn't get the full space usable]

Siliconemelons

I have a full hardware backwards compatible 60gig, I believe the 80gbmgs4 are emulated ps2 bc anyway. . .. It is decently quiet, and during normal operation it can get a little loud, but oh yes if it thinks it is getting hot , vroooom prepare for take off.

I love the thing, I will be very sad if it dies. I have a 160 or 120 slim stairs in the bedroom and that thing never gets even warm.

Vaclav

Yeah, the upper limit of 2TB is a FAT32 limitation.
Woot, I wasn't off this time finally. Not that I can imagine ever needing more than 2 TB on a PS3 though. (I'm having trouble filling my 500 GB even with PS+ and buying a decent amount of digital)