Building a Treehouse

Oldbased

> Than U
I will add my expertise by stating nothing is more fun than digging post holes within 10 feet of a massive tree.

Tuco

I got Tuco'd!
<Gold Donor>
Original Garnier LimbYou need these. That is all.
Yeah I saw something similar, treehouse attachment bolts:

Honestly at $100 to $200 each I really can't justify the price over a lag bolt. Maybe if I was building it at my house instead of my sister's for her kids... I feel like lag bolts will hold the house up for at least a decade.

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Can you buy lags that are higher quality? It seems like most lags I see are grade 2. If you wanted to compromise you could get some grade 8 machine bolts which would be much stronger than lags but cost nowhere near $100 each. I feel like I could make those things myself for like $10 each but I have a welder and a large threader which not everyone does.

khalid

Unelected Mod
The place to skimp on money probably isn't the bolts that will hold up the treehouse that is holding your children.

Nevele

Silver Knight of the Realm
Pay attention Khalid, it's not his children.. it's his sister's. Plus, she can always make more.

Oldbased

> Than U
Well with the posts or even knee bracing he could avoid bolts. Those bolts are awesome that was linked but he ins't building a house in a tree with hot tubs and kitchens like we see on TV. For many decades lags and bolts worked just fine for lasting 10 years a kid needs. The thing about these $100 bolts are they are designed not to hurt the tree, due to PC about happy tree feelings.

I work with wood nonstop and I smile when I rip/cut/screw/nail and beat it. Take that wood, take it good! err something.

Adebisi

Clump of Cells
<Silver Donator>
Adventure+Time+Tree+House+Wallpapers+1680x1050.jpeg

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
I am in the process of putting a tree house up, myself, and also wanted to do it on the inexpensive. Go on craigslist. There are a LOT of people who have tree houses and children who are grown. They want you to take the tree house away, no charge. I'm putting up a tree house that is actually not going to be around a tree, but next to several. It's on six 4x6 posts sunk 5 feet in the ground, each have 4 sixty pound bags of cement on them. It will have a 10 x 14 deck, and the tree house itself is 8 feet square, and six feet tall on the sides, 8 feet in the peak. I'm adding windows to it (from the ReStore), and I had to buy some new lumber, but I'm going to be able to get it up for about 300$ total monetary cost, not including my time.

I'll post pictures sometime soon, I'm going to have it mostly done this week, I hope.

Look on craigslist, get cheap materials. I also have a friend who actually just drove around looking for people with big assed tree houses in their yards and put a letting in their mailboxes, saying something like, "I can make your tree house go away for no charge!" and he had more than a dozen people contact him, asking him to take it away. Free materials, mostly constructed already, win win!

Oldbased

> Than U
Didn't think about it but it is a good idea.
House I just remodeled this last month the people had bought and gave away the old deck/doors( that I didn't want ) and other stuff via Craigslist.
The people who came and said they was there for the deck had to be at least 80, man and his wife. I first gave them a crowbar then helped them after I felt bad to remove it ( was leaving posts ).
Sure in larger towns a tree house wouldn't be hard to find.

RobXIII

Urinal Cake Consumption King
<Gold Donor>
WARNING! If you actually take up everyone who will give you their treehouse mats for free, yours may end up looking like this:
rrr_img_75223.jpg

Also, I never wanted my kids in the first place, so I keep making them play here in case they have an accident:
rrr_img_75224.jpg

I kid I kid... /hugs his children, as soon as he can find them

Oldbased

> Than U
WARNING! If you actually take up everyone who will give you their treehouse mats for free, yours may end up looking like this:
rrr_img_75223.jpg
I just bought 3 new Milwaukee impact driver sets with batteries for my guys. Challenge accepted.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
I wouldn't say it's a good idea to hand-make something that the neighbor kids will come over and play in causing it to collapse and cause injury thus exposing you and your insurance carrier to a lot of liability. Definitely an attractive nuisance.

Abefroman

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
Sadly Cad is right. Lawyers have fucked up the world real good. Wait till you have kids and you see what permission slips for field trips look like now.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Sadly Cad is right. Lawyers have fucked up the world real good. Wait till you have kids and you see what permission slips for field trips look like now.
On the one hand, there are plenty of bad examples of these type of cases. Everyone can name a stupid tort injury case that they feel "lawyers fucked up the world." On the other hand, how would you feel if your kid was outside playing and some shitbird neighbors treehouse fell on them and killed them or cost them a limb/eye? You'd be mad right? You'd say, why did that fucker build that thing?? ARG! You wouldn't say "well, thats just how life is, sorry kid, good thing you still have the other eye."