Poll Button up or button down?

Up or down?

• Up

• Down

Results are only viewable after voting.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Feel like it's easier to line up the bottom and work my way up. Even if I'm planning on wearing a tie, when I'm getting ready I'm not buttoning that top button until the last minute.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
I have no idea what any of this means. Is this a semantics argument or a "How do you put on your shirt" debate?

a_skeleton_03

<Banned>
No, I'm saying I have no idea what you're even asking.
There are shirts with buttons up the front.

oxford-dress-button-up-shirt-union-made-in-usa-big-sale-3.gif

Some people call them button up and they usually button it from the bottom up. Some people call them button down and button them from the top down.

Tanoomba

ジョーディーすれいやー
<Banned>
There are shirts with buttons up the front.

View attachment 120044

Some people call them button up and they usually button it from the bottom up. Some people call them button down and button them from the top down.
Aha, so it's both a semantic and behavioral issue. I've only ever buttoned my shirts from the bottom up, and I've never referred to shirts as either "button-up" or "button-down". To me, the term "shirt" already implies buttons, and in cases where there might be some ambiguity I would just say "dress shirt".

• 1Faggotry
Reactions: 1 user

Destiny's Paw

Golden Squire
Always wondered what the right answer is when describing a shirt with buttons.
You button down a button-up shirt.
Actually, I've always thought you had two small buttons (or three), that keep the collar down on a button up shirt.

Thanks, now I'm unsure what is correct.

Are we going to start a thread called "Setting The Record Straight" haha

Last edited:

Conefed

Blackwing Lair Raider
When buttoning, I start at the top and work my way down, but clearly it's a "buttoned-up shirt"
Wrapped up sandwich, not wrapped down or wrapped over

Fifey

Trakanon Raider
I call them button up shirts but I button downward. Am I doing it wrong?

• 1Solidarity

error

Molten Core Raider
Weirdly I button down but refer to them as button up. Oh and if wearing a tie, I button the very top button last.

Gamma Rays

Large sized member
Huh, this takes a little explaining.

I'm doing my own thing. It starts with the way I store the shirts. When I put the shirts on the hangers I do a single button up, it's like the third one down. Not the top one or 2, it's a button lower than what would be the normal choice. So,

When I decide to wear the shirt, I don't un-do the button, I am able to easily work the hanger out through the neck-hole.

I pull the shirt on over my head, like a T-shirt. I then button the second from the bottom, then the very top one. I am then mostly ready with perhaps 2 buttons still to do. But they can wait. I get my shit sorted, stuff I need. Keys, phone, anything else I might be taking to the car. Get everything I need. Then once I'm out the front door, then as I walk to the car, then the other buttons can be done up as I walk to the car.

iannis

Musty Nester
That sounds like a genuinely convoluted way to put on a button up shirt.

Which, obviously, you button down.

lurkingdirk

AssHat Taint
<Medals Crew>
Huh, this takes a little explaining.

I'm doing my own thing. It starts with the way I store the shirts. When I put the shirts on the hangers I do a single button up, it's like the third one down. Not the top one or 2, it's a button lower than what would be the normal choice. So,

When I decide to wear the shirt, I don't un-do the button, I am able to easily work the hanger out through the neck-hole.

I pull the shirt on over my head, like a T-shirt. I then button the second from the bottom, then the very top one. I am then mostly ready with perhaps 2 buttons still to do. But they can wait. I get my shit sorted, stuff I need. Keys, phone, anything else I might be taking to the car. Get everything I need. Then once I'm out the front door, then as I walk to the car, then the other buttons can be done up as I walk to the car.

raw

• 1Like

masteen

N00b
I just call those shirts. It's anything that doesn't open fully that get special descriptors, like polos, t-shirts, tank-tops, ect. I do have some special categories of shirts like flannels or guayaberas and typically specify dress shirts for shirts that are meant to be worn with a tie.

In short, you fucking kids need to get off my goddamn lawn.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users