Buying Gold/Silver/Precious Metals

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
the first new currency post-collapse will probably be made out of gold. it's value in history wasn't because of the fact that its shiny, its because its physical properties make it the best candidate for a lasting currency.

gold has been the main standard of currency for all of human history up until 1973. not that much has changed in 44 years, its just a matter of time.

The hardcore prepper books I read disagree and go with silver. Gold will likely still be too valuable to conveniently barter with once shit calms down.

iannis

Musty Nester
I think a replacement fiat is WAY more likely.

If you're talking about 3 generations down the road after a collapse. Sure, maybe so. But what does that have to do with a personal crisis mitigation scenario?

If the dollar goes tits up you'll see states start to issue scrip again. They won't be pressing gold eagles. When the state fiat goes tits up, you'll see companies issue scrip (maybe even while states are issuing it). Companies almost already do issue scrip, and they certainly would if the federal prohibitions against it weaken. Which they would. The dollar is, after all, half of the federal government. The army being the other half.

You're looking at a cascade collapse before we start minting coins out of gold. We don't use Cavalry anymore either, Mister Romney.

Sometimes the world just changes. The thing that has changed a lot in the past 100 years is population densities.

In a cascade collapse I would still rather have direct food and land security over indirect security. You really would be better off stocking ammo and looting.

Last edited:

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
The hardcore prepper books I read disagree and go with silver. Gold will likely still be too valuable to conveniently barter with once shit calms down.

not that i disagree (need to hear more) but "too valuable to barter with" is a bit hard to wrap my head around.

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
not that i disagree (need to hear more) but "too valuable to barter with" is a bit hard to wrap my head around.

Say you got a gold coin and you wanna buy a chicken off a dude. You'd have to clip a tiny piece off. With silver you give em a couple of them old silver dimes. No worrying and tiny pieces or figuring out exact tiny weights.

pharmakos

soʞɐɯɹɐɥd
<Bronze Donator>
that occurred to me when brainstorming, but certainly gold would still be useful for transactions involving more valuable things than daily commodities? tractors, automobiles, certain tools, solar panels, etc. would all be worth a pretty burdensome amount of silver i would think?

Hoss

Make America's Team Great Again
<Gold Donor>
Personally the only metal I'd invest in for a doomsday scenario is ammunition.

Precious metals. Gold, Silver, Lead and shootin irons. I've got all 4. They may be good for doomsday scenarios, but that's not all they're good for. it's idiotic to dismiss something just because one of it's uses is for something you don't think will ever happen. Go to your cupboard and throw away all your canned foods. I hear tell them doomsday preppers like to collect them too!

Even if it does investing in gold/silver isn't a hedge against that. You can't get the physical object which means that your investment will be valued with the inflated dollar. Or devalued, as the case may be. Nobody is going to give you a pound of gold.

The much better hedge against that is in... there's a jargon for it, I forget what it is. Real things. Ownership in land, production, infrastructure. Tangibles.

Anything intangible like gold certificates is subject to the exact thing which seems to be the argument to buy it.

Did you even read my post you fucking moron? I specifically said I wanted to buy physical gold and silver. In fact, you're the first one in the thread to even bring up investing in the smoke and mirrors magicshow that is buying gold certificates.

that occurred to me when brainstorming, but certainly gold would still be useful for transactions involving more valuable things than daily commodities? tractors, automobiles, certain tools, solar panels, etc. would all be worth a pretty burdensome amount of silver i would think?

That's why you'd want both in that scenario. Plus, they do make fractional gold coins. So it's not hard to have your gold in 1/8th ounce pieces already that would be worth about $175 each.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

ShakyJake

<Donor>
The problem with silver is that you can amass a huge quantity so keeping it in your home can be problematic and risky. And from what I've read, putting it in a safe deposit box isn't a great idea either.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Why is a safe deposit box not a good idea?

Nester

Vyemm Raider
Problem with gold in a collapse is government says no deal.

Executive Order 6102 - Wikipedia

Executive Order 6102 is a United States presidential executive order signed on April 5, 1933, by President Franklin D. Roosevelt "forbidding the Hoarding of gold coin, gold bullion, and gold certificates within the continental United States". The effect of the order, in conjunction with the statute under which it was issued, was to criminalize the possession of monetary gold by any individual, partnership, association or corporation.

violation of the order was punishable by fine up to $10,000 (equivalent to $185,013 today) or up to ten years in prison, or both.

Hoss

<Gold Donor>
Your definition of 'collapse' is far from a universal definition if you think the government will be able to run around and round up everyone's gold. Besides, since we're not on the gold standard anymore, it's highly unlikely they would feel the need to do something like that again. The government can try to do the exact same thing with guns, generators, or cans of beans. So by that rationale, it's no use trying to prepare for any disaster.

sublimenerdery

Trakanon Raider
in addition to the Mike Maloney "Hidden Secrets of Money" videos...I highly recommend this series. Read this guy's bio. He's very reasonable, not a doom and gloom prepper. He covers a lot of what's been discussed here, concepts of primary, secondary, and tertiary wealth.

The Crash Course

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user