Calgary, Canada

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Booked my hotel. Staying right downtown so I guess that's a plus. 7th Ave and 8th St.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
One thing to keep in mind with Calgary is that with the grid system, avenues can be North or South, and streets can be East or West. To make it especially confusing, they put centre street/ave right in the middle of downtown. Just keep that in mind when figuring out where shit is, because it might seem like something is a block away from your hotel when it's actually in the NW quadrant and not the SW quadrant (where your hotel likely is). You'll probably only be in the SW and SE quadrants during your visit.

Kalaar kururuc

Grumpy old man
Ah, you in the sandman? Moxies downstairs does a nice g&t. Has lime sorbet in it
smile.png

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
Can you see the Northern Lights in Calgary or is that very dependent on the conditions? I've never seen them. I'm heading there on Monday.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
I'd be willing to drive north outside of the city a bit. I'll have a car. It's something I really want to see.

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
But not cheap! Although nothing in Calgary is cheap, but by comparison to San Fran it might not be too bad, and the loonie is down to 88 cents these days.
This place is SO much cheaper than SF! We went to the Flames game last night and beers were only $8! That's not bad at all for stadium brews. Bars haven't been too shabby either.

Also, I've already had the G&T from Moxie's like four times. Might be the best I've ever had.

I've enjoyed my time here more than I thought I would.

Northerner

N00b
Well, I live in Calgary and have friends and family in SF.

In many ways Calgary is much cheaper (rent especially) but in others not so much. It is more the general U.S. versus Canada stuff but you can definitely drink, buy groceries and shop for less in SF overall. For traveling I'd say it is cheaper here though if for no other reason than the hotel rates aren't ridiculous. Still, Calgary is more expensive than most Canadian cities.