Cali-Vegas

Onigen

Golden Knight of the Realm
Hey

Dirty euro-citizen coming to the glorious US this June, mainly just touring cali + las vegasTrip, looking for some tips on sights and shit not to miss on the way. Going to be spending a day on the way to LA, a few days there, and then few days in Las Vegas, after which heading back towards SF via Yosemite. If the link doesn't work, do tell.

Gravel

Mr. Poopybutthole
What time of the year are you going? If it's anytime other than June-August, you may have difficulty getting through the Sierra's.

You should also consider going through Death Valley. It doesn't take long to see stuff there.

Despite living in SoCal, I've never really spent much time in LA. There's just not a whole lot appealing there to me. That's all personal opinion though, but I'd rather spend extra time doing outdoorsey shit (Death Valley, extra time in Yosemite, or the PCH) than another day or two in LA.

Onigen

4th of june to 10th is basicly our timetable for the roundabout. Death Valley propably will be out of reach, I reckon my milky-white skin will appreciate that. Originally we were planning on just spending a single night in LA but local acquitances of the person currently living in Cali suggested we should just spend another night LA to take in the city. We are pretty much going to spend the the first day and the start of the second day doing the route 101.

Obtenor_sl

shitlord
As someone who lives in LA you should aware that the city (not the people, the infrastructure) isn't very friendly to tourists and much less friendly to people with access to great transportation systems (subways, rail, etc). While Metro IS good, the stations are so far and scarce.

I assume you'll be staying mostly on the westside or near hollywood. Please note that driving here takes forever (not just because of traffic, LA IS Huge, it's the biggest county in the states and is mostly inhabited). If you're going to do the touristy thing do Hollywood early in the day then move west to Santa Monica.

spronk

FPS noob
good trip keep in mind the eastern portion of your trip will basically be 100-110F every day all day so you may end up being super tired/dehydrated and not be able to actually do anything if you aren't used to those kind of temps. I don't think 6 days is going to be enough to do everything you want though, unless you are doing some weird thing where you are driving at night and seeing stuff in the daytime while the driver sleeps.

its basically 5 hours from LA to vegas and another 6 hours to yosemite and another 5 hours to SF and then 10 hours to LA so thats like 1/2 your trip just driving. i'd recommend either adding a week or just doing LA 2-3 days -> Vegas 2 days -> Grand canyon 1 day -> LA

in vegas go to either caesars buffet or cosmopolitan european friends who visit always are blown away by the sheer quantity of food muricans pack in. also visit an in'n'out in la or vegas and a giant 24 hour super-walmart in vegas. oh fry's electronics too in LA or vegas if you are a tech nerd

Alex

Still a Music Elitist
its basically 5 hours from LA to vegas and another 6 hours to yosemite and another 5 hours to SF and then 10 hours to LA so thats like 1/2 your trip just driving. i'd recommend either adding a week or just doing LA 2-3 days -> Vegas 2 days -> Grand canyon 1 day -> LA
If you're cutting out something between LA and SF, it definitely should be LA. Of course it's a little out of the way, but it's a much better place to visit.

Onigen

Two of us coming overseas have 10 days to spend there but the person already at Palo Alto only has a week to spend so we'll have to fill that 6-7 days with as much stuff as possible, thus the somewhat hectic schedule. The extra 2 days at the tail end of the trip the two of us are propably going to be around the SF area, might have some kind of excursion to nearby areas as we have a car already rented for the 10 days.

from SF a full day on the 101
half a day to LA -> 1.5days there
half a day to LV -> 1.5days there
full day towards east of Yosemite
full day through Yosemite to SF