Camelot Unchained MMO

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
However I want to hit max level in 10 hours so I get all my talent points and skills or whatever. Then I want to spend the next 500 hours coming to full power by doing things in game. Whether that is questing for a new sword, questing for a piece of armor that makes my main attack stronger.
Which is just another way of saying level. Gear grinds are just another form of level grind and they accomplish the exact same thing... increasing stats and power.

You just have a mental block on the word "level". If you want any kind of power increase over time in your game then that is a level increase.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I would not mind a game that used items/abilities as a means to replace leveling. Even if it progressed in a way like Mega man.. Where you beat a boss, gained his ability and used that ability to kill a boss/mobs later on. It sounds limiting b/c you need the ability to progress but tie it into the game in cool little ways that give players that sense of accomplishment. It's really no different than what we currently have in regards to resist on mobs that are too high a level. just masked differently

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Yep, it is valid tactic but you need to be clear in understanding that you are accomplishing the exact same thing as a standard level increase. People who scream all the time that they "hate leveling" but still want their plus one stat sword really are laughable.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
Which is just another way of saying level. Gear grinds are just another form of level grind and they accomplish the exact same thing... increasing stats and power.

You just have a mental block on the word "level". If you want any kind of power increase over time in your game than that is a level increase.
exactly this. draegan, the game you're describing is still using levels exactly the same way as WoW and EQ did, it's just using a different color of paint. instead of leveling up over time and aquiring new skills and abilities, you're gaining skills and abilities over a period of time without gaining levels. still the exact same component is being used in both instances: time.

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I think "levels" are the least of our problems in regards to MMO's. Let's worry about how to make these mmo's more unique/engaging.

Speaking of unique why hasn't grouping evolved much? It's still your typical stuff... maybe this is a question for the EQN thread lol. But I'd like to talk about how to make grouping more interesting in regards to players working together to defeat even just your basic mobs.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
"Rushing to the endgame" has become one of the biggest problems in modern mmos. Most content created is for leveling. The endgame in most mmos is a small room with ugly walls (instanced dungeons), while they ignore the vast world they created for leveling (see GW2, or most mmos). How devs deal with leveling has a huge impact on the ultimate success of the game.

etchazz

Trakanon Raider
I think "levels" are the least of our problems in regards to MMO's. Let's worry about how to make these mmo's more unique/engaging.

Speaking of unique why hasn't grouping evolved much? It's still your typical stuff... maybe this is a question for the EQN thread lol. But I'd like to talk about how to make grouping more interesting in regards to players working together to defeat even just your basic mobs.
this solution is simple: classes have to be interdependent again. if every class can dps, tank, cc, and heal, then there is no need to group at all. i know it's taboo to discuss, but until someone finds another way, the holy trinity with support classes is still better than any alternative anyone has been able to come up with. you need to have a class system that encourages, if not in many ways, forces people to group together to defeat the enemies and survive in the world. you can still have soloing in the game, but if you want to defeat the giant flesh eating orc, there is no possible way to take him down by yourself and you in fact have to rely on the assistance of others in order to accomplish your goal. encourage grouping by giving out exp bonuses, a higher drop rate, more rare loot drops if grouped together, group buffs, to those who choose to group together. incentive is the best way to accomplish this goal.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
Grim1: Well no fucking shit! You figured out the code! Congratulations. The only mental block is the one in your ability of comprehension. Of course gear is another way of saying level. Of course gear grind is just another form of character progression. No. Fucking. Shit. All these games whether it's Lineage, EQ, WOW, or UO; have activities that promote character progression.

The fun comes from how you do it. I think the less time you spend filling up bars the better.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
So you want to fill up the gear bar but not any other bar..... got it. All bars bad but one. Draegan's bar is the only bar that matters and all other bars must be banned from existance...

Really dude.. don't you see you've already got that in every almost game out there? Why do you even want a new game? Gear progression is the standard endgame in most mmos. You should be as happy as a clam (I don't know why clams are happy but apparently they love gear grind endgames).

Convo

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
this solution is simple: classes have to be interdependent again. if every class can dps, tank, cc, and heal, then there is no need to group at all. i know it's taboo to discuss, but until someone finds another way, the holy trinity with support classes is still better than any alternative anyone has been able to come up with. you need to have a class system that encourages, if not in many ways, forces people to group together to defeat the enemies and survive in the world. you can still have soloing in the game, but if you want to defeat the giant flesh eating orc, there is no possible way to take him down by yourself and you in fact have to rely on the assistance of others in order to accomplish your goal. encourage grouping by giving out exp bonuses, a higher drop rate, more rare loot drops if grouped together, group buffs, to those who choose to group together. incentive is the best way to accomplish this goal.
thx for the replay.. I reposted in the EQN thread. Didn't want to hijack this

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Grim1: Well no fucking shit! You figured out the code! Congratulations. The only mental block is the one in your ability of comprehension. Of course gear is another way of saying level. Of course gear grind is just another form of character progression. No. Fucking. Shit. All these games whether it's Lineage, EQ, WOW, or UO; have activities that promote character progression.

The fun comes from how you do it. I think the less time you spend filling up bars the better.
The thing is, by channeling all progression into items, like WoW has essentially done, you end up with a pretty linear and fairly boring system. That's because, due to how progression is handled, you HAVE to give gear out at a consistent rate. This has serious ramifications on things like the economy, gear acquisition rates and a host of other issues.

We talk (And you do to, even) a lot about games being broad and deep. By having multiple methods of power advancement functioning in your game, it allows you to play with each component as a variable off another. A minor example of this is something like LoL--at different stages of the game, depending on your characters level, different items will become more, or less, valuable. Now, this isn't really that pronounced in LoL/DoTA (I used it because it's a popular game and it's done pretty subtly there), but in a game actually designed around this system, you could make it so an item that's great for a level 15--might not fit in a level 50's gear load out...And yet, both the level 15 and 50's character would essentially be the same power, but the level 50 would have more depth, ALA Eve. And yes, I'm not kidding myself, this DOES translate to more power. BUT the critical difference is it's a "soft" kind of power, that doesn't limit grouping--unlike WoW's level system, where max level-1=garbage.

Now what does a system where power is broad and multi-faceted accomplish? Well, for one it stirs the economy by allowing for a deeper economy. For example, it encourages old items to be sold--and more importantly, gives a REASON for more experienced players to go farm old items, and return to dungeons they might not need anything from.. This creates situations where more experienced players, have reasons to associate with less experienced ones (And hopefully form lasting bonds.) Right now, in most games, everyone is on a linear path to acquire more gear. Even if BoE/BoP were abolished though, there would be no market for old items because the treadmill for getting new items is so defined, that old markets collapse very quickly. Experience players go back to grind badges, sure. But as soon as they are prepped for THEIR content, there is no reason to continue, certainly not a reason to form outside networks with long term thought toward exploiting items for profit. (Which is what prompted a lot networking in older games)

I just don't know why anyone would want to limit themselves, in terms of design, to ONE source of character improvement. Part of what makes DoTA/Lol and RPG's so addicting is multiple sources of character power, all intertwining and creating different outcome. (Look at D3--it became a better and better game as they opened up more possibilities.) People like to experiment. Change stimulates them, as long as it's not too radical. Why would you make it so everything is about gear? That seems silly.

And don't get me wrong. I hear you about level grinds. I think having a base leveling system just to get into the game isstupid. If it were up to me, a level "1" and a level "90" should be able to group together the same way a guy in greens and a guy in purples can. Levels should be LIKE gear, you're right. BUT you shouldn't funnel all progression into gear...By doing that you reduce the number of variables and combinations your game can offer, and you make it far more linear. You essentially cultivate a lot of the problems WoW has right now.

The only reason I see developers shying away is due to not being able to reset levels for new content. But really, if you do the bonuses right, you can just keep expanding. Will it eventually reach a point where it's a mess? Yeah. But that happens in linear gear gaems, too--ala WoW's big "squish" coming up.

Draegan_sl

2 Minutes Hate
I agree with you for the most part Lithose. I did not give much of a detailed, refined approach, but the jist of the post was essentially give players their character's full breadth of abilities and talent/skill points within the space of a single player game's time; which might be around 10-16 hours or so.

Now there are many ways to go to design your system so low "powered" players can group with high "powered" players. I think that such a system would benefit the game as a whole, so I'm not against that if they way you're doing it is interesting. I'm not familiar with MOBAs since I'm terrible at them, so I don't understand the LoL reference. In any case, I'm very pro-grouping across power spectrums. I'm also a very big champion of a power system that expands laterally rather than vertically as well.

I'm also very much in favor of making items useful to everyone, which is why I like the idea of Path of Exiles style of gemming. Some gems could drop from lower end areas that high end players might need or want. There are a lot of ways to do this and I think it's a great idea.

I'm all for configuration and min/maxing and giving you a ton of different ways to make your character better. My whole point to this discussion is if I were in charge of a game studio, I would want to make a game with very little leveling content, make leveling quickly, and then spend the bulk of my time developing content for the rest of the game. My "leveling" content is a expanded tutorial. The rest of the development cost and time is spent to creating a game for everyone to play.

To your last paragraph, every game out there right now has a "base leveling system" to get into the game. Every single game in the market has an "end game" or an "elder game". It's stupid and a waste of time. Here's a perfect example: Take Age of Conan and Tortage. Everyone loved it. It had story, it had a sense of progression and it was really well done. Why not make a game that has a Tortage that is 3-4 times longer of the same quality of story. Then once you're finished, you go into the bigger world where you then expand your character's power via whatever power structure system you have. At that point you just can use any skill/spell you could ever have access too.

Oh and Grim1: Gear doesn't have bars. Don't be stupid.

Ukerric

Bearded Ape
<Silver Donator>
Oh and Grim1: Gear doesn't have bars. Don't be stupid.
Well, in WoW, it has. It's called Valor points.
smile.png

Young_sl

shitlord
A lot of good posts here, I really enjoyed catching up on the thread.

I think we have come full circle, back to the DAOC realm rank comparison. If MJ can implement a system like this, an end game soft cap leveling system, it would apparently make a lot of people happy. A system where a RR1 can beat a RR12 if the RR1 is better at the game than the RR12, despite all of his advantages in realm abilities. But there is no cap, it only becomes increasingly difficult to gain realm ranks while not creating an insurmountable gap between two players. (ala WOW and the gear grind).

Here is a link to the realm point system for those not familiar or recently familiar with it:

http://darkageofcamelot.com/content/realm-ranks

You get realm points, you gain realm ranks, and with those ranks you gain ability points that can be spent on numerous abilities to strengthen your character.

Another unique feature from DAoC that I love is when you see someone from an opposing faction you don't see their name over their head, you see their race and their realm rank. So if you ran into a Kobold Hersir, you know you are dealing with someone of high realm rank. The name will appear in your chat box, so you can still tell the actual person that way as well. And a lot of the time you could tell a specific guild from their uniform/tabard/colors, something that I haven't seen since and was a huge part of early PvP MMO's like UO and DAoC.

Utnayan

F16 patrolling Rajaah until he plays DS3
<Gold Donor>
I think its fun just watching UT's unimaginable hate and angst for certain developers. Like they stole his childhood, killed his puppy and pissed in his cheerios everyday!
Or it could be they just make shitty games and were horribly unethical in doing so. We could always look at the "List" though.

Mark Jacobs
Matt Firor
Brad McQuaid
Jeff Butler
Rich Vogel
Raph Koster

The above forementioned suck at making video games, have been living off Peter Molyneux granduer in this genre for far too long, and just need to go away. This game by Jacobs, TES Online with Firor, Vogel's SWTOR abject failure, and his new upcoming failure yet again with Battlecry Studios, McQuaid and Butler's gross neglect and mismanagement of games, and Koster putting Polka Band playing higher than designing a fun game to play unless he is studying the "art" of it all.

The only thing these guys deserve credit for is how they manage to stay employed because they have shipped titles on their resume.

I am sure they are all fine people to hang around and have a beer with if you are bored though. Knock yourself out.

AlekseiFL_sl

shitlord
Or it could be they just make shitty games and were horribly unethical in doing so. We could always look at the "List" though.

Mark Jacobs
Matt Firor
Brad McQuaid
Jeff Butler
Rich Vogel
Raph Koster

The above forementioned suck at making video games, have been living off Peter Molyneux granduer in this genre for far too long, and just need to go away. This game by Jacobs, TES Online with Firor, Vogel's SWTOR abject failure, and his new upcoming failure yet again with Battlecry Studios, McQuaid and Butler's gross neglect and mismanagement of games, and Koster putting Polka Band playing higher than designing a fun game to play unless he is studying the "art" of it all.

The only thing these guys deserve credit for is how they manage to stay employed because they have shipped titles on their resume.

I am sure they are all fine people to hang around and have a beer with if you are bored though. Knock yourself out.

Brad McQuaid.Jeff Butler are on the Eq3 Next team.