Camelot Unchained MMO

Composter

Golden Knight of the Realm
WAR was pretty fun, but I think the only way to really have a great RvR game is to have more than 2 sides. The machinations that arise from a power struggle between more than 2 parties is something that builds great narratives and really creates engagement to the product.

Redtah_sl

shitlord
Unless they changed their game massively there is going to be 3 sides in CU. That said they have a lot of transparency about the game and its current state. I don't care how bad the graphics are they are laying the ground for a very solid game by making their own engine and shit. Hopefully they get someone on their balance team who can balance the game and allow for zerg busting.

Although I wouldn't hold my breath for much.

Maric

N00b
Unless they changed their game massively there is going to be 3 sides in CU. That said they have a lot of transparency about the game and its current state. I don't care how bad the graphics are they are laying the ground for a very solid game by making their own engine and shit. Hopefully they get someone on their balance team who can balance the game and allow for zerg busting.

Although I wouldn't hold my breath for much.
CU is a mirror of DAoC. Factions are Vikings (Mids), Tuatha D? Danann (Hibs), and Arthurians (Albs).

Arcaus_sl

shitlord
Dark Ages was possibly the best PVP MMO that there has been. Jacobs might have screwed up some stuff in his life but he has also made some great things. DAoC made one mistake that cost them their future, they released an unfinished game because they didn't think people would get past level 30 or wherever the content stopped. If they didn't lose half of their subs to the unfinished PVE content, it might have been the biggest MMO in history. Instead it became a small MMO with some of the best PVP action on the market.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
DAoC was definitely a great game. The most fun I've ever had playing anything, and I put about 220 days /played into the game over 3 years. The problem was that the devs didn't understand why it worked so well, and every time they tried to 'fix' anything they felt was broken they actually just made it worse.

Redtah_sl

shitlord
DAoC was definitely a great game. The most fun I've ever had playing anything, and I put about 220 days /played into the game over 3 years.The problem was that the devs didn't understand why it worked so well, and every time they tried to 'fix' anything they felt was broken they actually just made it worse.
This is definitely true, I feel this way about most game devs these days. I feel like every big fun game is a fucking fluke.

Axamander

N00b
I'm intrigued by this game. 3 faction RVR makes sense to me as it creates politics and alliances over a common foe organically. I want to see the ability customization using shapes and such in action. I really like the soft capped progression based on using abilities as opposed to the typical kill/quest XP paradigm.

I really enjoyed WHO until the endgame where the ability lag made the game unplayable. That being said the warzone BGs were some of the most fun my guild and I have had in MMOs and I couldn't but help think that EA forced the game out despite the issue with netcode becoming apparent in beta. I don't care so much about the missing features and content but putting out a flawed engine was a critical error that a alternate funding method could avoid so I pledged the game. I was going to buy it anyway.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
I'm intrigued by this game. 3 faction RVR makes sense to me as it creates politics and alliances over a common foe organically.
You say this but I have yet to see anything like that in Planetside 2, it's now dog pile the faction with the lowest pop on the server. I'm not sure if it's because of the genre or the next generation of gamers but I'd like to see these types of thing happen. DAoC was before my time but I love hearing the stories and want to play something like that badly.

I don't even understand why the PS2 devs don't offer some kind of tool or incentive to ally with a faction for a short period of time.

Axamander

N00b
You say this but I have yet to see anything like that in Planetside 2, it's now dog pile the faction with the lowest pop on the server. I'm not sure if it's because of the genre or the next generation of gamers but I'd like to see these types of thing happen. DAoC was before my time but I love hearing the stories and want to play something like that badly.

I don't even understand why the PS2 devs don't offer some kind of tool or incentive to ally with a faction for a short period of time.
I'm not sure what the PS2 endgame mechanics are but if its set up so that it's winner take all and second place gets nothing then they have a reason to cooperate and rotate with last place. You obviously need people with the wherewithal to organize it but its logical self interest.

If I remember correctly DAOC had the frontiers where you competed for keeps if you r race had access to the keep then you could spawn a boss which killed would drop a relic which was used in crafting and other goodies. If your faction didn't have the keep then you got nothing. It makes sense to have the two teams sitting on the sideline during that time to collude.

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>

PS2 is just a shooter. It doesn't have an economy or anything, not really the same as an MMORPG.

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
PS2 is just a shooter. It doesn't have an economy or anything, not really the same as an MMORPG.
I get that, no one likes to lose. Every time a faction has tried to forge and alliance to destroy the faction with 15% more pop people shoot it down immediately.

Axamander

N00b
"Kingmaking" is bad design.
Let me guess. You couldn't wait for Darkfall to come out and think it was Trammel that ruined UO?

Hey more power to you but what limited resources does is cause people to compete for resources. Trilateral symmetry provides more options as opposed to bilateral that always ends up in one side dominating. At that point I agree with you as being the underpopulated side is miserable. You may not like it but it works such that people do respond to it.

Axamander

N00b
I get that, no one likes to lose. Every time a faction has tried to forge and alliance to destroy the faction with 15% more pop people shoot it down immediately.
Well other than 'winning' what benefit would you get from said cooperation as opposed to just being in second place and whatever that gives you? If there is no reason other than 'winning' then yeah I can see millennials not caring.

uniqueuser

Vyemm Raider
Let me guess. You couldn't wait for Darkfall to come out and think it was Trammel that ruined UO?
Not sure what relevance either of those assumptions have (except that neither game had hardcoded factions?), but Darkfall was dead on arrival and I played on Siege Perilous before Trammel was even a twinkle in Gordon Walton's eye, so neither were of any consequence to me.

Trilateral symmetry provides more options as opposed to bilateral that always ends up in one side dominating.
The latter isn't a given if there's comparable incentive to play either side, and a two-faction environment by definition prevents the inevitability of cross-teaming leading to kingmaking scenarios, which is arguably even more demoralizing to the losing team because they've been defeated by opponents who've conspired against the game's own rules.

Grim1

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Are there any 2 faction games that didn't fail in the RvR arena? I don't recall. They may be very successful at PvE (WoW), but not in RvR. WarHammer and Aion were great games at first, but then the masses joined the winning side and the RvR fun ended. Aion still limps along but it's RvR is nonexistent and has been for years. I'm not saying it's impossible to make a decent 2 faction RvR game but it is much harder to get right.

GW2's WvW for all of it's faults, still has legs. 3 factions seem to help it quite a bit. 3 factions doesn't ensure success though (TESO). I think it just makes it easier on the devs to keep a bit of balance to the fights.