Can anyone think of a game with a leveling model like this...

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
So I'm working on a project and long story short I'm trying to figure a way to represent leveling up in this particular model:

Say your character has 5-6 attributes. It can be anything but I'll use standard fantasy ones:

Strength
Intelligence
Wisdom
Dexterity
Constitution
Charisma

or even
Bow
Swords
Shield
Axe
Dual Wield

You can level up each stat individually, but by leveling up those stats your overall character level increases. Ideally you're also encouraged to at least somewhat spread out your distribution rather than Min Max. I'm trying to figure out how to represent that leveling path. I can just have some progress bars for each stat, but I'm having trouble with tying it into the overall characters progress. If that follows. Was Dungeon Siege like that? I'm blanking.

I'm looking for ideas how that would work with numbers and also visual representation of your progress. Status bar, cues on your avatar, new gear choices, colors... something.

Vinyard_sl

shitlord
Oblivion/Skyrim kinda sound like that? You could yolo level a skill and put your attributes into it, or level multiple ones

Jait

Molten Core Raider
Yeah sounds like TES. Nothing wrong with that. Daggerfall still has one of the best systems I've seen.

velk

Trakanon Raider
Yeah sounds like TES. Nothing wrong with that. Daggerfall still has one of the best systems I've seen.
Assuming you avoid the inherent trap of tying or balancing enemies to 'level', where players of the same level can be night and day in terms of combat ability depending what skills they raised.

Dashel

Blackwing Lair Raider
Cool thanks, that's very helpful.

Daggerfall:Leveling and Skills - UESPWiki

Leveling Equation

Level is determined by the equation

L = floor((S ? S0 + 28)/15),

where S equals the sum of your three primary skills, two highest major skills, and highest minor skill, and S0 equals the sum of the starting values of each of those skills. In simpler terms, you must raise the total of these skills by 15 points in order to get a level increase.

Any combination of skill increases will work as long as they total to 15 points. Increases in Miscellaneous skills do not count toward level increases, although the character will still be better at doing those things. Note that the formula counts only the highest Minor skill and the two highest Major skills, so any increases of the other Major/Minor skills do not count toward a level increase until the lower skills reach the same value as the highest.

The 28 points is a quasi-gift from the development team. 15 points of it is necessary since a new character would otherwise have to have 15 skill increases to reach 1st level. The other 13 points means that a new character only needs two skill increases to reach level 2.
A level increase happens after resting. Every time you rest, the game looks at the various counters and decides whether a level increase is appropriate or not.
Skill increases work a bit differently. The game tracks how often you use each skill and increments a counter with each check of the skill, successful or not. When the counter reaches the appropriate point, a skill increase is awarded.
Skills operate under the idea that "the more you know, the harder it is to learn something new." Consequently, the number of skill checks required to gain a skill increase goes up with the skill level. This seems to be in increments of 15%. While the skill is below 15%, very few checks are necessary. It takes a few more checks when the skill is between 15% and 30%, a few more when the skill is between 30% and 45%, and so forth.
The number of required skill checks is also affected by the "Difficulty Dagger". The required number of checks is multiplied by the Dagger setting at character creation (somewhere between 0.3 and 3.0). At 1.0 and with the skill between 30 and 45, about 30 skill checks are required to gain a skill increase.
While level increases happen only after resting, skill increases can happen after resting, loitering, or fast-traveling. However, at least six hours (game time) must have passed since the last time an increase was awarded for that skill.
Once you reach 50% in a skill, you can no longer receive training and must increase your skill through use or magical means.

Amzin

Lord Nagafen Raider
Yea, avoid Oblivion's mistakes at all cost. The other TES games are much better at handling it.

Vitality

HUSTLE
TES: Morrowind probably worth a playthrough if you want to experience this type of leveling system

Rezz

Mr. Poopybutthole
As for representing stat progression as something other than a number ticking up, there's a couple of ways you could theoretically go about it. Animation/model art can reflect statistical increases. Endurance/Strength/Constitution style increases could directly relate to the musculature of the avatar, while increases in Dexterity/Agility could change the way running/walking/swimming motions look. At predetermined tiers you could have a progression from sort of crashing like a bull through a china shop towards a more dancer/cat like movement style. Int/Wisdom/Charisma would be harder to do. Perhaps having the eyes glow, or a noticeable aura around the skin (Fable to a degree went this route, I believe. The stronger the character, the bulkier/burlier they were. The better looking/magic based meant particle effects and glowing eyes/halo around the head. I don't think the agility based stuff did anything noticeable from an art/visual perspective, but it's been years since I played it)

As to gear choices, that's a no brainer. More str/con, platemail looks cooler/heavier. More int/wisdom and you get a selection of arcane robes/tomes/whatever that someone focused on str wouldn't be able to equip. Agility/dexterity would lend itself more towards like bows and leather armor or assassin-style garb et al.

Basically, as you focus on one area or another, you can still equip the plain-jane gear of the other types, but you get access to much more elaborate/unique looking equipment of your chosen progression path.

Fable did not do that as far as I can tell, as you could equip anything minus the Evil/Good alignment required gear, and that shit was the same graphic with a color swap. But it definitely had visual representation for statistical increases.