Can Plane Take Off

Homsar

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
Why was this not brought up durring that whole debate? And is anyone able to find the animated gif thread? Having a bitch finding it.

The Dauntless One

Lord Nagafen Raider
homsar said:
Why was this not brought up durring that whole debate? And is anyone able to find the animated gif thread? Having a bitch finding it.
People who knew didn"t care.

People who cared didn"t know.

Lewstelamon_foh

shitlord
You mean this gif right?

brekk said:
137318-dead_horse_anim.gif

Zeste_foh

shitlord
Zeste said:
no.

the wings are not moving through the air, so there"s no lift.
I can"t believe I got this wrong, haha.

I pictured the plane on a gym treadmill and it was stationary for some reason.

If I picture it on a 10 mile long runway conveyor belt, then yeah, it can take off.

But I totally answered it wrong.

schwein_foh

shitlord
it is so sad i brought this question up to my friends after we seen the numerical to mythbusters and we spent 30 minutes arguing how the question was worded. if the plane was still vs being dragged along.

if it was still what type of plane.

a prop plane could possible push enough air past the wings to cause lift. but a jet engin would not push any air across it"s own wings.

then we took a RC prop plane and tied a string to it and kept it in one spot. since RC planes can create so much air flow for it"s size the plane lifted off the ground a little bit but no way it could even be considered a hover because it was bouncing around.

Abysmal_foh

shitlord
Sylas said:
finally all the naysayers silenced. Only took 21 pages :/
you also have to add the hundreds of pages of threads in which this has been argued about in the past. i took a break from the forums for a while, but i remember going over this intensely well over a year ago.

Fammaden_foh

shitlord
schwein said:
then we took a RC prop plane and tied a string to it and kept it in one spot
What the hell was the point of that? You and your friends sound stupid.

schwein said:
a prop plane could possible push enough air past the wings to cause lift. but a jet engin would not push any air across it"s own wings.
People always say this kind of shit and it makes no sense, the engines aren"t there to "push air over the wings" that happens as a side effect of thrust from the engines causing the plane to move forward. Which is another thing people always get retarded over. No one is ever saying the plane will rise vertically into the air, it will roll forward and take off normally despite the stupid conveyor belt.

Cynno_foh

shitlord
Well, it"s beating a dead horse but, I"m gonna comment anyway.

If you even thought for a second the plane would take off, you"re fucking stupid.

Edit for famm because he"s a fucking internet message board grammar faggot.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
Cynno said:
Well, it"s beating a dead horse but, I"m gonna comment anyway.

If you even thought for a second the plane would take off, your fucking stupid.
wat?

I hate maths and subsequently i fucking hate physics, but even with my pathetically bad high school maths experience i can see how the plane will both generate forward movement, create the necessary air flow, and not be hindered in any meaningful way by the treadmill.

I think it really stems from people completely missing the point about thrust, how planes generate movement, and air flow. It"s a brilliant question to give kids because it will expose the flaws in our thinking because we apply knowledge about how we normally move (ground based movement like walking, riding a bike, driving in a car) to another movement that operates in a different manner.

I have been trying to think of a decent way to explain this to people but to be honest if you can"t do some reading and figure it out yourself, you are a bit of a deadshit.
I just thought that a hovercraft operates in a similar way, except for the whole flying thing but it does generate it"s movement via wind movement, but i have a feeling people will get even more retarded discussing that too...

Abysmal_foh

shitlord
i think a jet engine is easiest to visualize and accept. the problem is that people see the propeller and think it"s fundamentally different.

Lendarios

Trump's Staff
<Gold Donor>
Just look at seaplanes. They dont have wheels, they just slide based on the Air movement generated by the engine. It is the same principle. Movement is generated from the engines, not from the friction.
they are generating forward motion in a frictionless surface such as water.

T-rex_foh

shitlord
maybe if you set off a large bomb a few hundred yards in front of the airplane there would be enough air movement generated to cause lift.

Nar_foh

shitlord
I"m not going to read through 22 pages of threads to see if someone beat me to the punch - but Mythbusters did this already.

TheWand_foh

shitlord
wow, december 4th 2005.. and still going?
who knew!?

the wheels on the plane go round and round , round and round, round and round..

and they never effect the planes forward or backward direction .. yet somehow the pole shows that "most" people who voted thought they did ... even as the plane took off.