Can Plane Take Off

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Now, I dropped out of engineering after my first year, but I still remember my statics and dynamics pretty well. To me, if two materials are bonded together, using a friction equation is pointless. There is no normal force, there is no friction, the two things are bonded together. At that point it"s the strength of the materials that matters. Friction is irrelevant. At that point you"d be looking at torsion and sheer and all that happy crappy.

Eomer said:
Now, I dropped out of engineering after my first year, but I still remember my statics and dynamics pretty well. To me, if two materials are bonded together, using a friction equation is pointless. There is no normal force, there is no friction, the two things are bonded together. At that point it"s the strength of the materials that matters. Friction is irrelevant. At that point you"d be looking at torsion and sheer and all that happy crappy.
Aye, you"re right. Thus my initial statement that mu is always less than or equal to one, but itcouldbe looked at like Frawdo points out.

Like I said, I can"t think of an instance where it would be beneficial, but if some physicist pointed it out, somewhere out there on the web, for Frawdo to bring it here then I would assume that there is some sort of situation where it"s beneficial to use that perspective.

/shrug

Physics is all about mental backflips and different perspectives. At this point, I wouldn"t say that I"m enough of an expert to dismiss any perspective at all as completely useless. I"d say that it will be a long time before I can do that.

GraysonCarlyle said:
How does it come out as infinite on a bonded object? u = Ff/N

Actually:

F = ufcos(T), where T is the angle between the surface and the force, f, in question, u is mu (too lazy to copy/paste it), and F is force of friction.

Of course, this is where the normal force, N, is:
N = fcos(T)

Thus, we have:

u = fcos(T)/F

Thus, if u is inifite, to me that would imply that f is infinite. Therefore, for two bonded objects to have an infinite friction coeff, the one object they make has to be perfectly resistant to distortion; at least relative to the forces involved.

So far as where this *might* be useful, from what I understand (and I know squat about differential geometry yet), it"s useful to know what shape an object is homeomorphic to (what type of shape you can distort it into).

For example, a coffee cup is homeomorphic toward a taurus (if it"s made of clay, then the most basic shape the clay could be molded into from the coffee cup shape without tearing it is a taurus). A taurus is just a donut shape.

I suppose that if an object is not homeomorphic toward any shape at all, then it might be useful to express u as equal to infinity. That gets into some really high end shit that"s still a year ahead of me at the least, though, so I can"t really answer any more questions toward that end.

When I say high end, I mean the surfaces of neutron stars, string theory type high end. Nobody in the world completely understands that stuff yet, as the high end theoretics are the frontier of physics.

If I waited until I could come back here with a good, justified example of when it actually is beneficial to use an infinite friction coefficient, then y"all would probably be waiting about two decades minimum.

Oh, and the library here doesn"t have a scanner ><. If anyone actually wants the diagrams, PM me, and when I finally manage to find a way to scan "em in, I"ll just send ya back links.

Frawdo_foh

shitlord
I"m not even talking about two objects being bonded together, neccesarily.

Lots of places give examples of two seperate objects having ?>1. A good example is rubber on pretty much anything. Some metals on other metals.

Check out the Table

This one too, about halfway down

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Friction said:
Rubber in contact with other surfaces can yield friction coefficients from 1.0 to 2.0.
I think it makes intuitive sense, at least in a static sense (not sure about kinematic), that Friction Force could be > Normal force.

Frawdo said:
I think it makes intuitive sense, at least in a static sense (not sure about kinematic), that Friction Force could be > Normal force.
I"ll study this sometime later, as I have finals to prepare for. The first thing, though, that catches my eye is that they use meters as a unit for force on that page.

Steel on Steel f = 0,0005m
I"ll look it over later, though. Either they"re using a unit for force that I"m not familar with, or there"s something wrong there. It should be Newtons, lb-force, or ponds. There"s countless more complex ways to write it that involve meters, but never should force be expressed as distance.

Maybe they are using the prefix milli by itself, with the units expected to be understood. In that case, that would be 5/1000 newtons, or whatever unit they"re using. That"s even bad form, if that"s the case, because there is more than one unit of force.

Rubber"s bouncing also has nothing to do with friction. It has to do with entropy. When you stretch rubber, it is forced into a highly ordered, high energy state. When you let it go, it naturally moves back to its original lower entropy state.

The reason that I state that is that a coefficient of friction that is greater than one and less than infinity would take any force you apply to it, and reverse it. It would be similar to rubber"s well-known bouncy properties.

Even with a u greater than one, it should never be higher than two. Energy can"t just be created that way. If there were any coefficient of friction between two and infinity, then we could exploit that to get far greater than a one to one tranference of energy in components.

This would be like peeling out your tires until, when you let off the gas a bit, you take off at the speed of sound (just as a very, very loose example).

Just to note, a perfect one to one transference is not possible. There would be no energy shortage if it were, I am sure.

GaliemVaelant said:
If the friction is higher between the wheel and belt, then the plane literally yanks the belt in the direction it wants to go. The plane ultimately will have more force than the belt on occasion, because it is the belt that reacts to the plane. All a pilot needs to do in this case to take off is hit the gas.
The wheel would never yank the conveyor. The only thing causing the wheel to rotate is the static friction of the belt, not the plane"s thrust.

Designz_foh

shitlord
The hell with all this scientific talk: just think of a harrier. Its engine pushes against the air to lift vertically, so it doesn"t matter if the plane has no wing lift, it will still fly!

Dapopeah_foh

shitlord
Designz said:
The hell with all this scientific talk: just think of a harrier. Its engine pushes against the air to lift vertically, so it doesn"t matter if the plane has no wing lift, it will still fly!

Frawdo_foh

shitlord
You have to read more carefully...

When a cylinder rolls on a surface the force resisting motion is termed rolling friction. Rolling friction is generally considerably less than sliding friction. If W is the weight of the cylinder converted to force, or the force between the cylinder and the flat surface, and R is radius of the cylinder and F is the force required to overcome the rolling friction then.
F = f x W/R

f is the coefficient of rolling friction and has the same unit of length as the radius R -in the example below m (metres)

Samus Aran_foh

shitlord
/gay voice

prooooveee itt

/gay voice

I can see how the plane could get off the ground, but would it somehow lift straight into the air and keep moving forward?

If you can put a plane on a conveyer belt, speed it up to said speed, and the plane launches off, then why the fuck aren"t they doing this already?

Frawdo_foh

shitlord
THE PLANE DOESN"T LIFT STRAIGHT UP IN THE AIR

Try and keep up. It takes off just like it would had it not been on a conveyor belt.

Morbeas_foh

shitlord
Paen said:
/gay voice

prooooveee itt

/gay voice

I can see how the plane could get off the ground, but would it somehow lift straight into the air and keep moving forward?

If you can put a plane on a conveyer belt, speed it up to said speed, and the plane launches off, then why the fuck aren"t they doing this already?
Wow, this is the most idiotic reply in this entire thread. You get the conveyor ready and I"ll be right there with the plane to test it.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
lol, Paen"s been trying to play catchup for the past 8 pages and is still behind.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
the problem isn"t that anyone here is retarded, although most of you are, it is that the question itself is complete bullshit.

If the wheels really do have zero effect and are just freerolling (which is normal for most planes) than no conveyor belt can possibly keep the plane in place. The wheels may be rolling twice as fast, but that fucker is going forward. It"s not staying in place, it"s moving. Horizontally moving along the conveyor belt. Unless James is holding it in place, in which case it WILL fly when he fucking throws it at your stupid asshole.

Mr. Big Dick, you are really fucking stupid. Stay away from intelligent discourse, it"ll probably land you in real trouble in your future.

Now, here"s a REAL question: If a tree falls in the forest and it"s going to land on dakota fanning, will blaezen catch it?

Yermum Onceme said:
Mr. Big Dick, you are really fucking stupid. Stay away from intelligent discourse, it"ll probably land you in real trouble in your future.
Yeah, that"s pretty much what NASA said when they decided to pay me every semester.

You must be looking for a derail.

yerm

Golden Baronet of the Realm
It wouldn"t surprise me for a second if NASA hired some absent minded math nerd and told him to shut the fuck up because he has less social ability than a menstruating orangutan. I don"t care if half of what you said is right true and good, ALL of what you say is stupid.

Oh and I am looking for a derail; what the fuck did you think I meant when I called the question itself complete bullshit? This thread won"t fly (harharr) on the subject alone, it needs retards like us.

I see. So which is it this time: Hermoine, buttsecks, off topic discussion, or just random flames?

If you"re looking for a random flames derail, you might want to choose someone who"s better at it than I am.

So far as my social skills go, yeah, you"re right. Except, of couse, the menstruating orangutan that I model myself after is also a hermaphrodite, and is pelted with feces daily by its cage mates.

I could call you an eggshell. Would that help your cause some?

Samus Aran_foh

shitlord
Yea, because I"m being SOOOO serious, right professor? The fucking question was answered on page 1. YES THE FUCKING PLANE WILL TAKE OFF.

We are now on page 16, with the same fucking conlusion.

Go copy/paste some more shit after you google "velocity" and "thrust" to show how fucking smart you are.

Paen said:
Yea, because I"m being SOOOO serious, right professor? The fucking question was answered on page 1. YES THE FUCKING PLANE WILL TAKE OFF.

We are now on page 16, with the same fucking conlusion.

Go copy/paste some more shit after you google "velocity" and "thrust" to show how fucking smart you are.
Nice flame, I"ll give it four out of five stars.

You lose a star because you miss the point. See, we have something called the scientific process. It consists of more than one step, and nowhere does it have us just assume that what our intuition says is correct.

That"s something that you should have learned back in eighth grade. You have completed eighth grade, right?

Samus Aran_foh

shitlord
Touch? salesman.

I was basically just saying that I wasn"t being serious (this is fucking SS for fuck"s sake), and all the professors threw erasers at me for disrupting class.