Candela Obscura

Staberinde

Trakanon Raider
Had a quick read through the quickstart guide. Kind of annoying how much of it is taken up by preachy (and frustratingly vague) tone policing instead of just giving players the damn rules.

For example
ON CHARACER CREATION
When crafting your character, it is crucial to avoid the harmful stereotypes often present in the historical and horror genres. For instance: if you are creating an Explorer, they should delve into their own cultural history instead of appropriating another’s. Similarly, Mediums should not use other cultures’ attire as a costume, and Doctors should not indulge in any historical practices that are rooted in racist and ableist ideologies. Although PCs may be ill-disposed, tactless, or even cruel, you should always strive to construct your protagonists with integrity.
or
Scars & the Legacy of Harm in Horror
When you make choices regarding your character’s injuries, remember: people are affected by harm in a myriad of ways. Disability and mental illness are facets of the human experience and are not convenient narrative beats behind evil actions, or “evil people.” Players should build their characters with care so that they can explore the world of Candela Obscura to the fullest.

In our experience, roleplaying “insanity” is neither ethical nor mechanically viable. Scars—especially Brain scars—should be understood as a change, never a lessening.
or
ON AGENCY IN HORROR
While there are moments where this game may elicit fear and unease, ultimately it is meant to be enjoyed. Remember that the goal is not to traumatize players, but to provide a safe and controlled environment in which to explore darker themes and narratives. Work to create a sense of anticipation and excitement, while also allowing players to feel a sense of agency in the face of danger.

• 2Tiresome
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Seananigans

Honorary Shit-PhD
<Gold Donor>
Had a quick read through the quickstart guide. Kind of annoying how much of it is taken up by preachy (and frustratingly vague) tone policing instead of just giving players the damn rules.

For example

or

or

Jesus Christ what a bunch of raging woke faggots. Pass.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
yeah i watched the 6 minute rules video yesterday just to see what it was about. i got about 2 minutes in when they showed the character sheet and it had a place specifically for pronouns and i just turned the video off. i'll probably watch the actual game on youtube, but i REALLY wish they'd just... stop with the politics

• 1Like
  • 1Pathetic
Reactions: 1 users

bigmark268

Vyemm Raider
I never thought I'd like politics in a ttrpg. But I love these videos of Biden Trump and Obama playing dnd.

But yeh I talked to my group about taping a session just for memories. Not to ever put out there for people to see. Cause the jokes me make nonstop would get us all fired lol.

I see these fake titles people want and just think. Cool nutjob.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
It's basically a copy of Call of Cthulhu it seems like to me.
I haven't watched it yet, but yeah I got that same vibe from the rules

But that makes sense since Taliesin is one of the creators and he's obsessed with that stuff

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user