Captain Marvel (2019)

OU Ariakas

Diet Dr. Pepper Enjoyer
<Silver Donator>
And you're putting words in my mouth here - I mean it only as that there should be examples of MANY cultures to balance out the picture. (and possibly better aggregation that gives "girl" scores, "Black dude" scores, etc rather than one-size fits most as we use right now.

I took it (and on a reread, still take it) as "We need more diversity ADDED to the pool of reviewers to give all movies a fair shake even if they're outside of the normal white male target demo". Which is true, that would make for better reviewing, especially for those niche groups.

My kids are growing up in a neighborhood with black, Asian, Hispanic, and Indian kids. If one from each family becomes movie reviewers than there is little to no added diversity since they all grew up in the same place, went to the same schools, and had the same general upbringing.

Color and gender do not tell you shit about the types of diversity that would truly matter in a movie review.

• 8Like
Reactions: 7 users

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I just watched this expecting the worst based on the comments here. She didn't say or do anything inflammatory in that interview, she actually came off as relatively normal.
times have really changed if thats what is considered relatively normal. she had an attitude about every question.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Lithose

Buzzfeed Editor
Actually no, I think such a thing would be awesome if there was some sort of better metricing so that there was a "white guy" score (or maybe even subsection it to "Nerd white guys" and "jock white guys"'! Since there does seem to be some movies that only appeal to each subsection) and a "ladies" score, etc.

Sure, maybe throw an overall in there too - but wouldn't it be better for girls to be able to pop on there and get a fair indication of how likely they are to like a movie? Or a black dude? Or an asian housewife?

There should be more representation in film critics so that we all get represented. It's a common sense thing - unless you're myopic about the big picture.

I asked if it would be acceptable in our society if I created a movie for white males, and subsequently told women or Jews or any other group "the movie was not made for you, I only care what white males think".

How do you think that would fly?

Last edited:
  • 2Like

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Stop posting drunk and wait to be sober to read thingsr.... you might understand why your weak attempts to be edgy are completely nonsensical.

If you're honestly getting that as an appropriate response to my post sober, I'd recommend psychiatric assistance because there's some serious neuron misfiring in play. Just like your older post I was in the process of responding to that I decided wasn't worth the effort after this lack of comprehension.

I'll include the one important bit:
Brie Larson is sick of being interviewed by ‘white dudes’

That was one of the articles that covered the initial "I don't care what white dudes think" theorycraft bit. Which really doesn't say that, she said, in fact, exactly what you said would make sense - more diversity in who is part of the pool of critics.

I do as a white male nerd type fit with most general reviewers, so I do hope if such is done places make a better concentrated effort to make some form of lumping to narrow "my reviewers" from other groups so I can estimate my odds of enjoying something well - but it's not hard to see the benefit to "her" concept. In fact so much so that you agree with her message, just took umbrage to her phrasing when somewhere ran it (likely with a partial quote with zero context to explain it) for you to consume and react to.

What is with the personal attacks? That is twice now.

MLK dreamed of a world that where color would not matter which to me is exactly the opposite of tribal politics. Earlier you stated that I need to stop assuming things are connected, so I responded as to why I felt they were connected. At no time did I attack you personally, nor did I respond in a drunk manner.

Please point what you consider edgy? Was it edgy to point out that your choice of the word myopic was rather ironic considering the discussion.

Based on our past interactions I actually like you Vaclav, but based on this conversation I am wondering what is up.

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
times have really changed if thats what is considered relatively normal. she had an attitude about every question.
Bro I think you are letting your opinion of her based off her other comments cloud your vision on this one. I think she was trying to be funny but she just wasn't hitting on all cylinders.

• 2Like

Harshaw

Throbbing Member
Bro I think you are letting your opinion of her based off her other comments cloud your vision on this one. I think she was trying to be funny but she just wasn't hitting on all cylinders.

It's funny that some people in this thread have become the exact other side of all these triggered snowflakes they used to make fun of. There's being upset and boycotting but the constant anti-Brie shilling is even making someone like me, who is basically on their side, not give a fuck.

• 6Solidarity
  • 1Jonesing
Reactions: 6 users

Vaclav

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
What is with the personal attacks? That is twice now.

MLK dreamed of a world that where color would not matter which to me is exactly the opposite of tribal politics. Earlier you stated that I need to stop assuming things are connected, so I responded as to why I felt they were connected. At no time did I attack you personally, nor did I respond in a drunk manner.

Please point what you consider edgy? Was it edgy to point out that your choice of the word myopic was rather ironic considering the discussion.

Based on our past interactions I actually like you Vaclav, but based on this conversation I am wondering what is up.

Then I don't know what it is, you're reading things and making really bad comparisons.

i.e. The myopic comment was my shorthand for "white males being worried that reviews might stop being completely reflective of them" - almost the precise opposite of the MLK quote regarding homogenization. Thus why I took it as edgy and inappropriate as a response.

And yes, I remember you as pretty chill and having a pretty decent degree of comprehension - it's a while since we've talked (I don't lurk here NEARLY as much these days - mostly the Cameo TLP stuff that lured me back for now because it's F-ing hilarious) and it's askew from what I remember thus why I was honestly trying to guesstimate why your comprehension level seems off from the past.

I didn't mean it as an insult/personal attack - just an observation that something is askew with what I remember of you. So many people here play around with words or love to dissect my phrasing into things it's not, and that wasn't your normal MO in the past. Perhaps the environment here is starting to effect you, dunno.

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
It's funny that some people in this thread have become the exact other side of all these triggered snowflakes they used to make fun of. There's being upset and boycotting but the constant anti-Brie shilling is even making someone like me, who is basically on their side, not give a fuck.

Looks like we got someone who fails the ideological purity test. Get 'im boys!!!

• 4Worf
  • 1Salty
  • 1Seriously?
Reactions: 5 users

Vaclav

Exactly my primary point. Rather than getting people agitated and frustrating myself trying to reexplain it I'm going to requote you and leave it be rather than wasting the energy trying to explain it more wordily that just gets either confused or dissected into something it's not around here.

Bowing out now. Listening to my own suggestion and not drawing it out any longer - I presented my "friction" against the system, anything further will feed it further.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
her response to each question was some variant of , "thats none of your business" or "duh!". if thats normal i'll stick to older women.

Vaclav

At no point in your semi-coherent rambling did you come close to expressing that as a 'primary point'

Yea the whole "feeding into the system" part had absolutely nothing to do with that. Keep on being the same old Gavin.

But seriously done here. TTFN.

• 1EyeRoll
Reactions: 1 user

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior VP | Pantheon Pals VP Recruiting
<Gold Donor>
Movie sucked. Like hard. Brie can't act. Marvel is going down hill. Last marvel movie I'll ever see.

• 2Like
  • 1Salty
Reactions: 2 users

Malakriss

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Can we all set aside our differences and focus our attention on people who do ratings "out of 5" instead of 10?

• 7Worf
Reactions: 6 users

sakkath

Trakanon Raider
This thread is an absolute dumpster fire. People on this forum are slowly losing their mind over this culture war.

• 4Seriously?
  • 4Solidarity
  • 3Like
Reactions: 12 users

spronk

FPS noob
996.jpg

• 6Worf
  • 2Like
Reactions: 7 users

Oblio

Utah
<Gold Donor>
Then I don't know what it is, you're reading things and making really bad comparisons.

i.e. The myopic comment was my shorthand for "white males being worried that reviews might stop being completely reflective of them" - almost the precise opposite of the MLK quote regarding homogenization. Thus why I took it as edgy and inappropriate as a response.

And yes, I remember you as pretty chill and having a pretty decent degree of comprehension - it's a while since we've talked (I don't lurk here NEARLY as much these days - mostly the Cameo TLP stuff that lured me back for now because it's F-ing hilarious) and it's askew from what I remember thus why I was honestly trying to guesstimate why your comprehension level seems off from the past.

I didn't mean it as an insult/personal attack - just an observation that something is askew with what I remember of you. So many people here play around with words or love to dissect my phrasing into things it's not, and that wasn't your normal MO in the past. Perhaps the environment here is starting to effect you, dunno.

Yes, I guess the environment here is effecting my ability to read English words to mean what the dictionary says they mean, not your short hand.

1552174744912.png

I still am failing to understand how you do not see the connection of inflammatory low hanging fruit comments do not coincide with there current social political climate of White Males are Evil. The funny thing is even though I am an independent I am left leaning, charitable acts are a part of my life and I vote against my own best interest to make the lives of others better. But the current message that I suck and I don't matter and I am the problem is really pushing me away. What part of this don't you understand?

As I said earlier if she would have said "Reviewer X is entitled to his opinion, but I am more interested in the opinion of minority girl." I would have been fine with it. There is a enough pie for everyone, this whole shouting down/silencing culture that is becoming more prevalent on college campuses is a bit worrisome to me. You can get yours while still get mine, it is not one or the other. My understanding was the left used to be the party for free speech now it feels like they are willing to violate that as a means to end to advance their agenda of tribal politics.

Circling back to your comment about representation in film by critics, what are the stats? Are the percentages in line with with the population? I have no idea because I don't care, if I agree what someone says I don't like it more or less because they look like me. Maybe my life experiences are different than most, having played college football where half if not more of my team was black I learned first hand about character mattering much more than color.

Oh and lastly, I hardly even open the General Forums let alone the cancer that is the Politics Thread, so I don't think this board is affecting me the way you presume it is. I mostly stick to SS, Grown Ups, Gaming and Entertainment.

• 1Like
  • 1Picard

Sanrith Descartes

You have insufficient privileges to reply here.
<Aristocrat╭ರ_•́>
Just got back. My daughter (12) loved it. She had fun guessing when someone was a Skrull dupe. It was a 5/10. My politics dont agree with Brie's but I put that aside. She is the weakest part of the movie. Not for her politics but because she lacks charisma on screen. Cap 1 isnt a great movie but Chris Evans just kills it onscreen. Thor 2 is poop, but Helmsworth and Hiddleston rock. Iron Man 2 ... you get the idea.
It isnt that I thought Brie was bad, I just didnt care about her character at all. She evoked no emotion out of me. That isnt what you want from your leading character. Jackson was the star and the Super Skrull was the co-star.

• 4Like
  • 2Solidarity
Reactions: 5 users