Car ?'s

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
Hard to believe a $50k truck doesn't at least have a manually adjustable wheel. I looked at the toyota trim levels comparison and the tilt/telescoping wheel is a limited feature...

Wow.
not tilt and telescope but it does adjust up/ down. I lost interest in the 3rd gen based on engine alone. But I bet there's a disgusting amount of just reused ancient architecture underneath it all.

Great truck for a long time that you gave up newer comforts for being a reliable known quantity. But it is very long in the tooth by now and the update really just traded for the worst of both worlds imo. Old bones and a very sophisticated high boost unproven engine.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Fucker

Log Wizard
not tilt and telescope but it does adjust up/ down. I lost interest in the 3rd gen based on engine alone. But I bet there's a disgusting amount of just reused ancient architecture underneath it all.

Great truck for a long time that you gave up newer comforts for being a reliable known quantity. But it is very long in the tooth by now and the update really just traded for the worst of both worlds imo. Old bones and a very sophisticated high boost unproven engine.
I had a chance to grab a new Tundra in the color and options I wanted. Passed on it. Not a bad deal, either.

I saw a new Tundra sitting next to a 2020. Huge difference in quality. Old Tundra had a much nicer interior and better quality materials. The new Toyota way of doing interiors just looks cheap and uninviting. I have a 2021 Highlander Limited. Leather interior that is indistinguishable from their vinyl Softex. The rear seat levers would be cheap in a 1981 Chrysler K car. Bloing bloing clap bloing...and they always jam.

They missed the mark with the new truck. Exactly nothing makes me want to buy one. Sure, better ride, but the old one doesn't bother me at all. GF usually starts squawking about being uncomfortable after 2 hours of driving in anything, but we drove all day for a few days and not a single peep.

Also, the new Tundra has got to be the ugliest truck ever fucking built.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Or you know move the wheel and seat around.
If wheel up at top, move seat down, move does unless that's something else new retarded about the 3rd generation. But I refuse to believe that you can't lower the start or you have the most gigantic thunder thighs.....
Then again I'm still kinda rethinking everything after a truth in lending statement confused you.

With the new ones your losing the reliability and everything that made tundras popular, at that point you might as well look at ram etc with better towing and a better interior. People are also saying it is making far less mpg than advertised so going to a unknown engine and still getting close to only 15/16 mpg
That's what I did. Then I asked the sales guy. Who then told me only SR5 premium or higher have vertically adjustable seats.

I'm 6'4 and wear size 15 shoes. I'm not exactly the average size dude.

Sludig

That's what I did. Then I asked the sales guy. Who then told me only SR5 premium or higher have vertically adjustable seats.

I'm 6'4 and wear size 15 shoes. I'm not exactly the average size dude.
Well I guess a miata is out of the question.

Sounds like a few more trim levels than the old one but certainly gayer. Shame.

Burns

I would say this is fine but having to pay extra money for a brand new car for features it should have had standard is a no-go for me. I'll do that with an older car but not with a new car.
The vehicle market would have to be all kinds of fucked up for me to consider buying a new vehicle and taking that initial depreciation hit. So I would treat them the same.

If a new car and used car is within 10% of each other, but the dealer wants $10k more for upgraded interior, I would just buy the interior elsewhere. It would almost be preferable, as last I looked (for my car), the custom interior shop is going to have better quality/looking stuff anyway.

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>

Can you explain more about generations of Tundra in this case? Assume that I am as retarded about cars as I am. Which is very much so.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
The vehicle market would have to be all kinds of fucked up for me to consider buying a new vehicle and taking that initial depreciation hit. So I would treat them the same.

If a new car and used car is within 10% of each other, but the dealer wants $10k more for upgraded interior, I would just buy the interior elsewhere. It would almost be preferable, as last I looked (for my car), the custom interior shop is going to have better quality/looking stuff anyway.
Yeah I've usually gone for used that have somewhat low mileage because the new car ~20% depreciation in the first year is some bullshit.

• 1Like

Sludig

Can you explain more about generations of Tundra in this case? Assume that I am as retarded about cars as I am. Which is very much so.

Tldr as I'm short on time but the current gen is 22? 23 model years forward and is a twin turbo v6 which despite being a much newer engine is still not much of an mpg gain, I havnt looked at its towing capacity, but no forced induction engine is going to last as long as a big natural breathing v8.

Personally, watch savagegeese video on the Tundra I think would cover it well as they are less bullshit than other all positive reviews.

Previous generation are all basically the 5.7 and 4.xx v8s and I think first gen maybe had a v6.
Basically 2nd gen are just the nice ish looking ones you've seen the last 10 years.
2020 got a mild dash upgrade but otherwise fairly archaic but again people bought for no frills and reliable.

So depending what your looking for, I'd still look for a low miles 19-21 if you're sold on Tundra. Yes prices will seem silly but barring really bad luck , the truck should easily last more than a decade and many hundred thousand miles. (once of the 4.somethings went one million)

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
Tldr as I'm short on time but the current gen is 22? 23 model years forward and is a twin turbo v6 which despite being a much newer engine is still not much of an mpg gain, I havnt looked at its towing capacity, but no forced induction engine is going to last as long as a big natural breathing v8.

Personally, watch savagegeese video on the Tundra I think would cover it well as they are less bullshit than other all positive reviews.

Previous generation are all basically the 5.7 and 4.xx v8s and I think first gen maybe had a v6.
Basically 2nd gen are just the nice ish looking ones you've seen the last 10 years.
2020 got a mild dash upgrade but otherwise fairly archaic but again people bought for no frills and reliable.

So depending what your looking for, I'd still look for a low miles 19-21 if you're sold on Tundra. Yes prices will seem silly but barring really bad luck , the truck should easily last more than a decade and many hundred thousand miles. (once of the 4.somethings went one million)
TY.

Lasting more than a decade is the primary thing I want overall.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
it's really pathetic how every other car company is performing
2d578a7245a56dd0afd34028824ea44e.png

i mean in the beginning of the year, i was really thinking, yea when that new subaru solterra comes out, i'll take it for a test ride, then that shits been recalled cuz the fucking wheels literally fall off.

why do i even want to be loyal to subbie anyway

• 1Like

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I was shopping for an EV earlier this year. Tesla model 3 and Y are by far the best bang for your buck and it still has the charging network advantage in the US.

Looking at the sales figures here in .NL the Tesla model Y is by far the best selling EV car with 7k units sold YTD but the VW ID4 slightly outsold the model 3, both around 2500 units. A major factor is probably the charging network being brand-agnostic due to EU mandating a standardized charging plug a few years ago. Tesla charging network is also (being forced to) open up to non-Tesla cars.

Brand loyalty is probably going to go down as you've said. All EVs have inherently smooth drivetrains and good 0-60 acceleration, so it's removing some of the traditional reasons to pick one brand over another.

Ortega

Vyemm Raider
I was shopping for an EV earlier this year. Tesla model 3 and Y are by far the best bang for your buck and it still has the charging network advantage in the US.

Looking at the sales figures here in .NL the Tesla model Y is by far the best selling EV car with 7k units sold YTD but the VW ID4 slightly outsold the model 3, both around 2500 units. A major factor is probably the charging network being brand-agnostic due to EU mandating a standardized charging plug a few years ago. Tesla charging network is also (being forced to) open up to non-Tesla cars.

Brand loyalty is probably going to go down as you've said. All EVs have inherently smooth drivetrains and good 0-60 acceleration, so it's removing some of the traditional reasons to pick one brand over another.
Love my Model Y. Only regret is I didn't get S!

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
it's really pathetic how every other car company is performing
2d578a7245a56dd0afd34028824ea44e.png

i mean in the beginning of the year, i was really thinking, yea when that new subaru solterra comes out, i'll take it for a test ride, then that shits been recalled cuz the fucking wheels literally fall off.

why do i even want to be loyal to subbie anyway
It takes the giants longer to pivot, obviously, but when they do they will hit with a bang. Tesla was founded as an EV only company so they dint have to pivot shit, but they also had their growing pains as well. Remember the years where they could only muster like 5K vehicles off their line every year?

Anyway, 350K is whatever when the giants still sell millions of gas vehicles per yer. GM sold almost 6 million last year. Toyota sold like 11 million. Tesla is still small fry compared to the giants.

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
New car sales YTD figures for .NL, market is definitely shifting. Full EV almost 30% market share, Tesla is around 12,000 so about 16% of the EV market share. Gas price shock last year and the price cuts probably helped Tesla a lot, they almost 10x their number of sales this year compared to 2022.

Gasoline 83400
Hybrid 94600
EV 74700
Diesel 3000

Much of this is driven by fiscal stimulus (diesel car ownership being heavily taxed, while EV and hybrid cars get a lower or zero rate) and gasoline costing the equivalent of well over $8/gallon. Diesel cars in particular are going extinct, they sold over 100,000 per year a decade ago.

Norway (which has even more punishing taxes) 83% of new cars sold this year are EV, 90% with plug-in hybrids added.

1695971140177.png

Tesla looks to sell about 20,000 model Y's in Norway this year, which is a shitload compared to the 200,000 in the US when you consider the US has 60 times the population. US will probably see a similar trend a few years down the line, being a large country it's going to take a lot more time to get the charging network up to scale but with directed stimulus a lot can change in a decade.

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
It takes the giants longer to pivot, obviously, but when they do they will hit with a bang. Tesla was founded as an EV only company so they dint have to pivot shit, but they also had their growing pains as well. Remember the years where they could only muster like 5K vehicles off their line every year?

Anyway, 350K is whatever when the giants still sell millions of gas vehicles per yer. GM sold almost 6 million last year. Toyota sold like 11 million. Tesla is still small fry compared to the giants.

2012 apparently. It's going to be an interesting 5 years in automotive sales.
1695974039966.png

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
New car sales YTD figures for .NL, market is definitely shifting. Full EV almost 30% market share, Tesla is around 12,000 so about 16% of the EV market share. Gas price shock last year and the price cuts probably helped Tesla a lot, they almost 10x their number of sales this year compared to 2022.

Gasoline 83400
Hybrid 94600
EV 74700
Diesel 3000

Much of this is driven by fiscal stimulus (diesel car ownership being heavily taxed, while EV and hybrid cars get a lower or zero rate) and gasoline costing the equivalent of well over $8/gallon. Diesel cars in particular are going extinct, they sold over 100,000 per year a decade ago.

Norway (which has even more punishing taxes) 83% of new cars sold this year are EV, 90% with plug-in hybrids added.

View attachment 492799

Tesla looks to sell about 20,000 model Y's in Norway this year, which is a shitload compared to the 200,000 in the US when you consider the US has 60 times the population. US will probably see a similar trend a few years down the line, being a large country it's going to take a lot more time to get the charging network up to scale but with directed stimulus a lot can change in a decade.
pretty sure norway, eu are on the ban ice cars by 2030, also

Lambourne

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
pretty sure norway, eu are on the ban ice cars by 2030, also

Norway is targeting 2025, UK/EU 2035 currently. They did recently walk back the new emissions standards (due for 2025) somewhat on the grounds that if the goal is to switch to all EV, it doesn't make much sense to have the industry (and consumers) invest billions in new combustion engine emissions control tech that will be used for a decade only.