Car ?'s

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
I was debating between a Model 3 and a Rav4 plug in hybrid. Ended up getting on the waiting list for the Rav4 at a Toyota dealership in SoCal that is the largest in the world that doesnt charge any mark ups. The main thing that scared me for a full EV was the range anxiety. The plug in hybrid gives me the best of both words where I dont have to use gas most the time but dont have to worry about range issues. Charging EVs in public is a pain.
Anything of any distance we'd be using my Tundra.

Sludig

Buzzfeed Editor
For me, if I decide to be frugal and skip my sports car, been debating if I go half measure with a elantra N, or cushy awd cx30 , or a bare bones hatchback corolla or similiar 18k shitbox for my 80 mile daily commute.

I hate being the age where I am trying to be responsible but still want fun before I'm too old. :(

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
Moving tomorrow and about to have a 45 mile round trip commute at the new place. Plus with my fiance now we drive around a ton on the weekends. So the 40 mile battery range of the Rav4 plug in hybrid will nearly handle it and will hardly use any gas for my commute. Wanted the Rav also for ground clearance. Like to go rock climbing outdoors so the extra ground clearance helps to get to some of the climbing spots. Currently drive a 2015 WRX that keeps having more and more problems. The Rav4 is gonna be a lot more practical for my needs. Should also add im moving into my fiance's place and she has solar. During peak summer her electric bill is $20 a month and that is with running AC all the time. So figure the electric driving will basically be free.

I was gonna go with the Tesla at first even with the range anxiety since the dealer experience with a high demand Toyota is awful. But found out that the largest Toyota dealership in the world is in SoCal(where I am) and they dont charge mark ups and just get you on a waiting list for the high demand cars. Got on the waiting list a few weeks ago and they told me 1-3 months for the Rav4 Prime with the premium package option.

These things seem to do it all. With 300hp, 40 mile electric range, and 40 mpg after that. Can drive 600 miles with a full tank and a charged battery.

The RAV 4 definitely makes sense for the weekend stuff. We were a bit concerned about range when we got our Model 3 but it pretty quick became a non-issue, I’m SoCal as well, especially out here with the charging infrastructure.

• 1Solidarity

Palum

what Suineg set it to
My woman has decided she wants a god damn Rivian R2 and not the Rav4 I had been pushing on her.

God help me.
I'm praying Rivian collapses for you bro, the full Fisker

• 1Like

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
I was debating between a Model 3 and a Rav4 plug in hybrid. Ended up getting on the waiting list for the Rav4 at a Toyota dealership in SoCal that is the largest in the world that doesnt charge any mark ups. The main thing that scared me for a full EV was the range anxiety. The plug in hybrid gives me the best of both words where I dont have to use gas most the time but dont have to worry about range issues. Charging EVs in public is a pain.
carcarenut had a good review and what to look out for

*edit
found

• 1Like

CaughtCross

Vyemm Raider
carcarenut had a good review and what to look out for

*edit
found

Seen a few of this guys videos. He is very positive about the Rav4 Prime. Really does seem a jack of all trades and one of the best cars on the market right now. Once I found the dealer with the easy wait list process and no mark ups it was a no brainier to get one.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
Seen a few of this guys videos. He is very positive about the Rav4 Prime. Really does seem a jack of all trades and one of the best cars on the market right now. Once I found the dealer with the easy wait list process and no mark ups it was a no brainier to get one.
yea i see him as the toyota mrsubaru since i know you got a wrx you probably watch him too, i really liked that he emphasized that the plugin is only made in japan, so youre getting good jap quality

• 1Like

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
So on my Tundra. After getting rear ended by another truck at the gas station the cosmetic damage to my truck costs ~$6000 at the body shop to repair. The truck that rear ended me was going at most 10MPH.

Clown world indeed.

Siliconemelons

Drive a model 3 before you buy… the refresh ones are apparently night and day v the old

Having a full EV and a plug in hybrid - both are transitional systems to whatever is the actual “gas killer”

As a family, i would not advise having only a full ev as a car, just cause. Plug in hybrid- sure. I buy gas for long trips and maybe… twice? A year - just to keep it from doing its refresh cycle.

Burren

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
Drive a model 3 before you buy… the refresh ones are apparently night and day v the old

Having a full EV and a plug in hybrid - both are transitional systems to whatever is the actual “gas killer”

As a family, i would not advise having only a full ev as a car, just cause. Plug in hybrid- sure. I buy gas for long trips and maybe… twice? A year - just to keep it from doing its refresh cycle.
Petrol and diesel aren’t going anywhere.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Alright wife's car has squealing noise now. Loud enough to hear in cabin but not deafening. Doesn't happen when not moving, but does go away after a few miles once things heat up. Seems to only happen when coasting/braking. Doesn't happen only when braking though.

Think it's not belts since it doesn't happen when not in motion. Brakes are less than 4000 miles old and don't think it's a rock. Maybe wheel hubs? Anyone think of anything else obvious?

Burns

Alright wife's car has squealing noise now. Loud enough to hear in cabin but not deafening. Doesn't happen when not moving, but does go away after a few miles once things heat up. Seems to only happen when coasting/braking. Doesn't happen only when braking though.

Think it's not belts since it doesn't happen when not in motion. Brakes are less than 4000 miles old and don't think it's a rock. Maybe wheel hubs? Anyone think of anything else obvious?
Disclaimer: I'm not a professional mechanic, just some dude who has worked on his fair share of personal vehicles.

Did you run though some RPM levels then let off, while it was parked, to see if it makes the sound?

Maybe take it to 3000 RPM for 10 second, then let off back down to idle. Then try 4000 RPM or whatever the max is on a normal drive (no need to go higher than that, probably). Ideally, if your wife can handle holding it at a certain RPM, have her do it, while you stand outside with the hood open. If your hearing is shit, and hers is good, maybe she stands outside (next to the engine).

If you get nothing with that, then that would make me think suspension or drivetrain. How old is the vehicle? Have you been doing the recommended mileage maintenance? Maybe the rear differential is low on fluid or needs a fluid change, if the car has more than 100k miles on it. Same thing with transmission, maybe it needs a flush. Although, I didn't think tranny whine really went away ...or maybe it does: google has a bunch of questions on it: Google search

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Disclaimer: I'm not a professional mechanic, just some dude who has worked on his fair share of personal vehicles.

Did you run though some RPM levels then let off, while it was parked, to see if it makes the sound?

Maybe take it to 3000 RPM for 10 second, then let off back down to idle. Then try 4000 RPM or whatever the max is on a normal drive (no need to go higher than that, probably). Ideally, if your wife can handle holding it at a certain RPM, have her do it, while you stand outside with the hood open. If your hearing is shit, and hers is good, maybe she stands outside (next to the engine).

If you get nothing with that, then that would make me think suspension or drivetrain. How old is the vehicle? Have you been doing the recommended mileage maintenance? Maybe the rear differential is low on fluid or needs a fluid change, if the car has more than 100k miles on it. Same thing with transmission, maybe it needs a flush. Although, I didn't think tranny whine really went away ...or maybe it does: google has a bunch of questions on it: Google search

Yes. I tried idling for a while and increasing rpms without moving. It's all caught up on maintenance, 2016 only 60k miles. It's really not a 'whine' though, it's definitely a high pitched squeal, if that makes sense.

Mario Speedwagon

Gold Recognition
<Prior Amod>

I had what sounds like the exact same problem last year. Some CUNT totaled it before I ever figured it out though. Can confirm it wasn’t belts.

Burns

Yes. I tried idling for a while and increasing rpms without moving. It's all caught up on maintenance, 2016 only 60k miles. It's really not a 'whine' though, it's definitely a high pitched squeal, if that makes sense.
Yea, makes sense, squeal can be different than chirps, which can be different from whine. Belt squeal is what I am picturing, but not standard bad belt/tensioner symptoms.

I did a few quick searches and it's all over the place. Suspension issues like wheel bearings exhibit constant symptoms and can be more chirp/squeak than squeal. One idea I read, to see if it's drivetrain/suspension related, was to find a hill and turn the car off at the top, then coast down to see if makes sounds. Of course if it only happens when it's below operating temps, that would be a huge pain in the ass (unless you live on a hill).

Reading the first few replies in this post (different symptoms: squeal only when moving, but when warm) makes me question if something that's attached to the belt is giving an early symptom of failing (pumps/alternator).

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I like Mario Speedwagon Mario Speedwagon suggestion. Just have her total it on purpose. Fuck it.

I don't know about calling your wife a cunt though. Maybe just on the internet. It's safe here.

• 4Worf
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Palum

what Suineg set it to
Yea, makes sense, squeal can be different than chirps, which can be different from whine. Belt squeal is what I am picturing, but not standard bad belt/tensioner symptoms.

I did a few quick searches and it's all over the place. Suspension issues like wheel bearings exhibit constant symptoms and can be more chirp/squeak than squeal. One idea I read, to see if it's drivetrain/suspension related, was to find a hill and turn the car off at the top, then coast down to see if makes sounds. Of course if it only happens when it's below operating temps, that would be a huge pain in the ass (unless you live on a hill).

Reading the first few replies in this post (different symptoms: squeal only when moving, but when warm) makes me question if something that's attached to the belt is giving an early symptom of failing (pumps/alternator).
Ah yea we live on a big hill so can try that this weekend.