CASA - Any experience here?

OneofOne

Silver Baronet of the Realm
http://www.casaforchildren.org/site/....BE9A/Home.htm

Been thinking of different stuff to volunteer for for a bit now. When I ran across this it sounded quite interesting. I've tried to dig up as many reviews, info, etc that I can find to get a more even idea of the program. I was curious if anyone here has been one or worked with them? Of all the stuff I've looked at, this one just feels the most "right". Plus my job is fairly flexible with my hours so that isn't a huge concern.

Eidal

Molten Core Raider
http://www.casaforchildren.org/site/....BE9A/Home.htm

Been thinking of different stuff to volunteer for for a bit now. When I ran across this it sounded quite interesting. I've tried to dig up as many reviews, info, etc that I can find to get a more even idea of the program. I was curious if anyone here has been one or worked with them? Of all the stuff I've looked at, this one just feels the most "right". Plus my job is fairly flexible with my hours so that isn't a huge concern.
My grandparents live in rural Texas and do this. They find it very rewarding. I don't know the exact specifics of what they do, but it sounds like they meet with potential "new parents" and try to figure out if they'll be able to provide a good environment for a kid.

If you have any specific questions you can post or PM me and I can ask them.

OneofOne

Thanks bro, but nothing in particular. I'll be mulling this over for a few days (since it's a minimum 1 year commitment, unless you just quit) and just thought if anyone had anything they wanted to add I'd surely be open.

Dandai

<WoW Guild Officer>
<Gold Donor>
My dad and his girlfriend did something similar to this for a while. They took in toddlers who would've otherwise gone to foster homes and cared for them. I think the girlfriend wanted a younger kid around but didn't necessarily want her own kid. They seemed to enjoy it, but I never really talked to them about it.

iannis

Musty Nester
I've known a woman that did something like this. Really, she fostered with the county. But it looks like this is a sort of fostering program.

The hardest things for her were -- first, not over spending on the child. She'd get a lot of kids that had had it real fucked up... and just buying them a whole shitload of school clothes was a big deal for these kids. And it's harder (from what she said at least) than you'd think to NOT indulge them while you have them. But the hard truth is that they're still in the system, they'll still be going back into what is most likely their crackhead fucking mother's home after she serves her court appointed bullshit or into a grouphome or maybe they'll, if they're very lucky, adopt out into a family that can do that for them. So it was a real tempting thing for her to do, but not necessarily in the best interest of the child.

And second... giving them back when she had one for 6+ months that she really liked.

I think that's why she quit doing it, honestly. It started to get too hard to give 'em back. I know she was seriously talking about adopting one of them, is why I think that. And they kinda don't let you do that. You don't get to test drive them.

So emotionally there are probably hidden pitfalls. But more for you than for the kid. So just eyes open about that, and I 95% expect it's a wonderful experience and service.

OneofOne

Yeah, I could never do something like that, for many reasons. You aren't actually taking kids into your care, but rather just assisting them through a shitty process.

"CASA/GAL volunteers are appointed by judges to watch over and advocate for abused and neglected children, to make sure they don't get lost in the overburdened legal and social service system or languish in inappropriate group or foster homes. Volunteers stay with each case until it is closed and the child is placed in a safe, permanent home. For many abused children, their CASA/GAL volunteer will be the one constant adult presence in their lives."

Essentially a liaison between the judge, social worker(s), therapists/psychologists, foster parents, parents, kid, etc - with the benefit of not juggling 50 other cases, no boss to please, and no dog in the fight, allowing you to always put the kid's best interests first. Of course, I understand that you tend to get assigned the worst cases, as they tend to need the most help - but we can't have things too easy eh? I came from a pretty rough place myself, and almost ended up in the system a few times. I have quite a bit of empathy.

Big_w_powah

Trakanon Raider
I was a foster parent for a long time, until I adopted my son through care. The CASA program is a hugely helpful program. The CASA workers were always very strong advocates for the children, and helped keep the case on track. In one particular case, she made bi-monthly visits to our home and spoke with the children (she wasn't allowed to be alone, but they could go into a different room and leave the door open--outside of earshot)..She was also able to visit the mother of the children, look at her case, and attend their visitation. Basically, you get a lot of privileges that the CPS workers do and have more time since your caseload is MUCH lower. She was able to guide the case from a unique perspective that nobody else really had.

If you choose to do this, be non-threatening to the foster parents, but be 100% willing to report any mis-doings there may be. You cannot be denied visitation beyond your minimum you are supposed to do. At least not in Texas.

If you have any more questions, feel free to PM me.

OneofOne

I'm putting in my app next Monday. I appreciate you relating your experience, and your offer - I very well may take you up on that.