Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead (Rogue-like)

littles

Lord Nagafen Raider
Where do I begin...
You emerge from the shelter into the dim light of an overcast day, and look around for the first time since the disaster.

The world as you knew it is gone and in it's place, a twisted mockery of all that was once familiar.

Everything was cast aside in that frantic race for the shelter. You have no food, nothing to drink, no weapons. Nothing but your ingenuity and the fierce determination to survive against appalling odds.

A grim prospect faces you. Perhaps worse even than the nightmares of last night, when you were tortured by dreams of the dead themselves rising to jealously tear life from the living.

You cast your eyes up the road and begin to walk towards a house in the far distance. Things may be bad right now, but you've got a sinking feeling that there are darker days ahead.

What is Cataclysm?
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead is a roguelike set in a post-apocalyptic world. Surviving is difficult: you have been thrown, ill-equipped, into a landscape now riddled with monstrosities of which flesh eating zombies are neither the strangest nor the deadliest.

Yet with care and a little luck, many things are possible. You may try to eke out an existence in the forests silently executing threats and providing sustenance with your longbow. You can ride into town in a jerry-rigged vehicle, all guns blazing, to settle matters in a fug of smoke from your molotovs. You could take a more measured approach and construct an impregnable fortress, surrounded by traps to protect you from the horrors without. The longer you survive, the more skilled and adapted you will get and the better equipped and armed to deal with the threats you are presented with.

In the course of your ordeal there will be opportunities and temptations to improve or change your very nature. There are tales of survivors fitted with extraordinary cybernetics giving great power and stories too of gravely mutated survivors who, warped by their ingestion of exotic substances or radiation, now more closely resemble insects, birds or fish than their original form.

Useful links:
Homepage -Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead
Wiki -The Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead Wiki

The game has pretty good depth, you are able to master survival and completely live off the land if you wish or get/craft some guns and become a master marksman. Or maybe you want to create a rolling fortress of a vehicle glistening with blades/turrets/spikes as well as a full functioning kitchen and metalworks. On the other hand you may want to install all sorts of bionics and become robocop or become a mutated monster with all sorts of extra abilities. You can do all of that in this game in a zombie infested procedurally generated world.

Iv'e really been enjoying this now that it has tile-set support, I suggest anybody who likes zombie/survival/roguelikes give it a shot. It's completely open source and looks like it has quite a few people working on updating and expanding the game.

Here's an SS of my current guy in his spiky solar powered death mobile.
cM4fh57.png

littles

Lord Nagafen Raider
I'm probably not the best pitch man for this sort of thing but if I had to compare it to another game I would say its like dwarf fortress adventure mode or tales of maj'eyal with more survival driven gameplay. It's got the classic roguelike interface which isn't anything too exciting but what really sold me is the depth of the crafting system. It's learning curve isn't nearly as steep as dwarf fortress though it is quite complex.

I suppose I should have added roguelike to the title when I made this thread to give people more of an idea of what type of game it is.