Cats (2019)

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
3.50 star(s) Rating: 3.50/5 2 Votes
Title: Cats (2019)

Tagline: You will believe.

Genre: Comedy, Drama, Fantasy, Music

Director: Tom Hooper

Cast: Francesca Hayward, James Corden, Judi Dench, Jason Derulo, Idris Elba, Jennifer Hudson, Ian McKellen, Taylor Swift, Rebel Wilson, Laurie Davidson, Mette Towley, Robert Fairchild, Steven McRae, Ray Winstone, Larry Bourgeois, Laurent Bourgeois, Zizi Strallen, Eric Underwood, Melissa Madden-Gray

Release: 2019-12-19

Runtime: 110

Plot: A tribe of cats called the Jellicles must decide yearly which one will ascend to the Heaviside Layer and come back to a new Jellicle life.

• 2Worf
Reactions: 1 users

Varia Vespasa

Vyemm Raider
First trailer. Looks good as a trailer at least, although much will depend on whether you like the music or not. Lot of big names in it.

spronk

FPS noob
those cats look freaky as fuck

983.gif

• 6Worf
Reactions: 5 users

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
Interesting, not sure how I feel about them using the same look for the cats for a screen production as opposed to live theatre. Not sure if the concept works as well.

I saw the play in NYC back in 2000. After watching it, I had the same thought I'm sure lots of people did:

"Hey you think the actors and actresses have a big orgy while in costume?" #justfurrythings

Whidon

Blackwing Lair Raider
I saw Cats for the first time as 7-year-old in the early 90's and a few times after as my grandmother loved it.

I actually really like the play, it does a fantastic job of immersing the audience in a fantasy. Frankly, I think musicals are absurd in the first place so the way it embraces it is great.

That said, I think the film is going to be a disaster. A big reason the play works is that it's uniquely set up to work in as a big live musical theatre experience. I can remember sitting down the first time I saw it and just being mystified by the weird set and suddenly a woman dressed as a cat prowls up the aisle right up to me. Seeing gus get overwhelmed by the audience's applause at the end of his bit, the floating tire sequence, You won't have this or much of the other neat stuff in the movie as it just won't work.

Edit: oh yeah and the characters in the movie look godawful and Jennifer Hudson singing memory just does not sound right, especially during the climax, it's like she's trying to give it a different vibe but it just comes off wrong.

Rime

<Donor>
I saw the show ages ago, thoroughly enjoyed it.

The film looks very... odd? The costumes (or is it CGI/Mocap/whatever?) look worse than the broadway production.

But that is a very heavy cast, with some good actors and some nice vocals.

TheNozz

Ssraeszha Raider
That said, I think the film is going to be a disaster. A big reason the play works is that it's uniquely set up to work in as a big live musical theatre experience.

I probably should have phrased it like this when I made my earlier comment. The costumes and sets work better as a live play as they help to immerse you in the idea that these are supposed to be cats.

Hell, I'm genuinely wondering if they could have tried something really out of the box, and had the character portrayed by CGI cats like what theyre doing with Lion King

Arbitrary

Tranny Chaser
This is a real experience I had long ago.

Damn she's cute. Let's see what she looks like now.

Gah!

Xarpolis

Life's a Dream
...And they all said "Oh how I never!" "Was their ever a cat so clever as Magical Mr. Mistoffelees?"

Koushirou

Log Wizard
<Gold Donor>
...And they all said "Oh how I never!" "Was their ever a cat so clever as Magical Mr. Mistoffelees?"

Day before yesterday, this song suddenly popped in my head and was stuck there all day. Needless to say I was slightly freaked out when this thread appeared the next day.

I’ve never actually seen the play, just have heard some of the songs from random family having the CD when I was a kid. This looks horrifying.

Qhue

Trump's Staff
I mean there were only a few ways this could have gone and all of them are awkward. This one is particular nightmare-fuel however.

Siliconemelons

Yeah this stupid movie is going to make buckets of female estrogen laced money.

Even my wife who has never seen or cared about the Broadway musical or even likes musicals is like... OMG MUST SEE CATS!!!!

Brahma

Obi-Bro Kenobi-X
Great trailer. It does a great job of giving you an idea what to expect in the film. And whoever that is singing can fucking sing. Wow.

Aaand I will pass. Not one to see musicals at the movies.

Last edited:
Movie information in first post provided by The Movie Database