Charcoal smoke meats

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
i never did a full smoke, even though i have seen enough videos on it that i probably could. i just dont have 5 or 6 hours in a day to devote to it. when i grill, i dont just cook one thing. i make burgers, dogs, chicken quarters and will maybe throw some ribs on there which i half cooked in the oven in the house. i get done in 3 hours and have a shitload of leftovers to enjoy during the week. i use a Weber Performer and it suits all my needs. my version of smoking is tossing ribs on the side with no coals and get some fat applewood chunks on the coals to smoke shit up. the process takes maybe an hour and the ribs are crisp outside and smoky and tender inside. how are your ribs smoked in an egg different than what i'm doing with my Weber?

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
we do it all in the "egg" or smoker, set to 225-250 and don't precook, just prep, then in the egg for ~3-4 hrs until done. i only do them on the weekend due to time constraints

when i grill i do several things too, IF i do ribs for the party, i start 5hrs before the party- so the ribs are done and ready to eat (except for cutting up) prior to guests arriving.. after the ribs are done wrap in foil, put in cooler (with no ice to keep the ribs hot) and then do the party thing, ribs in the cooler will stay hot for a 2-5 hrs depending on the cooler. then cook whatever else for the party- take out rack, cut, serve-repeat until everyone full or ribs are gone whichever comes first.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
only issue i have with my smoker is the box is a bit small- have to cut the racks of ribs in half unless i want to do the rib "spiral" style. but since switching how i am cooking the ribs, they have been better tasting (no wrap) meat is slightly less "fall off bone" when eating, it is more bite with a slight pull
rBKXk0g.jpg

Harfle

Lord Nagafen Raider
anyone able to reccomend a brand of lump charcoal, apparently this is what I need to get to properly charcoal smoke meat?

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
No you don't need it, it does add a bit of flavor, I used royal oak, umm cowboy something, a few other brands, I just bought 35 lbs of Fugo from amazon, but an all natural briquette, stubbs , Kingsford etc work just as good, just make sure you get one without any additives.

Hell I have done most of my smoking do far this year using propane for the main fuel and if has come out awesome. Propane for temp control, then whichever wood for smoke.

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
I got my information from that page brutal...i just didn't bother to link it. awesome site.

i use his "memphis dust" now for ribs and pulled pork, i use a different rub for wings, and use one of cole landry's recipes (slightly modified- i add more bourbon) for bbq sauce, and a different author's recipe for my pulled pork vinegar sauce:

cup cider vinegar
half cup ketchup (i use simply heinz due to no corn syrup)
table spoon or so of Worcestershire sauce
table spoon or so of brown sugar
half a tea spoon or so red pepper flakes....

adjust to taste - made like this it is very tart- excellent on pulled pork
add more ketchup and it mellows the tartness....

• 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
Made my standard dry rub for some chicken drumsticks and smoked in the electric smoker using Mesquite for 2 hours at 260.

oKMJ4t5.jpg

Lenardo

Vyemm Raider
OOoOo those look nice...

finally got around to opening & using the fogo charcoal for a quick meal (non smoked- just burgers)...DAMN those pieces are Big. wife ended up having to work late (they over booked her on surgery day) had only a small amount of briquettes left from the last cook (steak) i did on the grill and opened the fogo bag and uused them for the cook- i also wanted to see how they performed "normally"

first off pieces i took out of the bag were mostly 4+ inches in size. so the pit area filled fast with only several pieces,,,used my handy dandy lighter to light ( i use a blow torch) ~15 minutes later the grill was at 450...cooked the kids meal , the put the grill on "low" - closed most of the vents to hold in the heat. she got home an hr or so later and i was able to just toss on my and her burgers onto the grill, it was still at 450...

BrotherWu

MAGA
<Silver Donator>
OOoOo those look nice...

They were solid. Light crisp skin, super tender, just enough smoke. I do find that sugar doesn't hold up well on smoked chicken. A lot of it seems to wash out in the rendering. Still good though.