ChatGTP as a tool

pwe

Bronze Baronet of the Realm
There is already a thread for jogging around in chatGPT, but this one is for idea sharing of actual tasks it can help with. What went wrong and what went right.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

pwe

I've been using it to convert between CSV/JSON/XML. CSV is easy to type, the other two are quite tedious. If when it suddenly stops generating the command 'continue' will make it well... continue.

Gpt4 is very slow doing this, gpt3 is much faster and seems to do just as well.

pwe

I'm very slow writing Python code, so I tried writing a class in C# (100+ lines) and asking it to convert to Python. A few very minor changes were needed, after that it ran exactly as expected.

pwe

Documenting a method:

'please add a description to this method' (method and generated description shown below, pretty damn good imo).

1679897197268.png

Palum

what Suineg set it to
So I've been trying to get Chat GPT (3.5 and 4) and Auto with several APIs to do anything useful with coding in something like React. So far it's been a complete failure. It doesn't seem to understand how to deal with hierarchical data very well, and so things like dependencies and component nesting it really doesn't seem to like.

Have you managed to get it to deal with anything above a single script with a single layer of dependencies?

Mist

Eeyore Enthusiast
<Gold Donor>
So I've been trying to get Chat GPT (3.5 and 4) and Auto with several APIs to do anything useful with coding in something like React. So far it's been a complete failure. It doesn't seem to understand how to deal with hierarchical data very well, and so things like dependencies and component nesting it really doesn't seem to like.

Have you managed to get it to deal with anything above a single script with a single layer of dependencies?
It is good for writing individual functions. It is good for telling you what libraries to import and typing that bullshit out, but it has no understanding of architecture. Tying a bunch of functions together into a real application is just beyond it.

I've been using ChatGPT to help me learn how to write programs in Python that use functions from the SSL / x509 libraries to do stuff relevant to my job. It's not very good at anything beyond the basics, but it gets me started. I have only basic Python knowledge from a community college course I took 8 or 9 years ago.

• 1Like

ShakyJake

<Donor>
I've used ChatGPT to help write Lua scripts (a language I'm not familiar with) and to aid in constructing RxJS expressions and Angular components. Nothing super duper complicated, but it's been extremely beneficial. Usually does things in a way I didn't consider.

• 1Like