Cheap Meals: Eating on a budget.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
There are food production facilities that rent and help you proof of concept products. They're usually associated with schools/colleges. We had one in Jersey run by one of our trainers called Rutgers Food Innovation center. They had an entire process line that could produce most items on a small/medium scale, and would literally rent out production time to various start ups until they finalized the production process and either move it to their own plant or find a comanufacturer. Likewise, we're a Co-man so we produce items already R&D'd, for example we do items for Rich's, Trader Joe's, etc that they don't have capacity to produce in their own plants.
Do you still have to jump through the FDA hoops if maybe you're already purchasing pre-approved cuts of meat from another purveyor? All it is is using pork butts or pork picnic, various aromatics, and dried spices, and then cryo packing after a brining period. That's literally all it would be. Basically just putting the marinade together prepping it and letting it sit before shipping. Hell you could freeze them I'm supposed to selling them fresh, but I guess you'd want to get fresh butts in that haven't already been Frozen.

What do people have to do if they want to sell spice blends her similar dry goods? Do they still have to jump through similar hoops?

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Do you still have to jump through the FDA hoops if maybe you're already purchasing pre-approved cuts of meat from another purveyor? All it is is using pork butts or pork picnic, various aromatics, and dried spices, and then cryo packing after a brining period.

Why do people have to do if they want to sell spice blends her similar dry goods?

Meat is USDA, and yes, anytime meat is handled, it has to go through the USDA inspection process. So even though we purchase meat from a USDA approved/inspected plant, once we handle/process it again, it needs its own USDA inspection before we can ship/sell it.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Meat is USDA, and yes, anytime meat is handled, it has to go through the USDA inspection process. So even though we purchase meat from a USDA approved/inspected plant, once we handle/process it again, it needs its own USDA inspection before we can ship/sell it.
Is it periodic inspections or is it a one-time deal like you do with the department of health when say opening up a restaurant or something? Typically though you get your department of health inspection at least annually, or I guess random if a complaint is lodged against your place of business.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is it periodic inspections or is it a one-time deal like you do with the department of health when say opening up a restaurant or something? Typically though you get your department of health inspection at least annually, or I guess random if a complaint is lodged against your place of business.

USDA is every production. They have to inspect before production begins to confirm sanitation, we call this the pre-op inspection. Then they'll either stay the whole production or go to a different plant depending on their schedule/coverage levels, but you have to assume they'll be there the whole time. We even have to give them their own office and parking space.

For spices, that is FDA. You have to register bi-annually and get the initial state food safety inspection. From there, they'll inspect on a frequency based on risk, low risk usually being every 2-3 years for a 1-3 day audit. You'll find your customers will have more requirements than FDA, especially if you want one of the big boys like HEB. They usually require SQF level standards, which you can find here:

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
USDA is every production. They have to inspect before production begins to confirm sanitation, we call this the pre-op inspection. Then they'll either stay the whole production or go to a different plant depending on their schedule/coverage levels, but you have to assume they'll be there the whole time. We even have to give them their own office and parking space.

For spices, that is FDA. You have to register bi-annually and get the initial state food safety inspection. From there, they'll inspect on a frequency based on risk, low risk usually being every 2-3 years for a 1-3 day audit. You'll find your customers will have more requirements than FDA, especially if you want one of the big boys like HEB. They usually require SQF level standards, which you can find here:

Hehe, I read that as square foot level standards like you need a big enough building or something. I just worked with restaurants in construction in the past but never an actual food product producer. Part of the times when I do work different businesses I end up chit-chatting the owners and just getting an idea of exactly what they do at their place in business, and I guess that's one type of industry I've not had the opportunity to learn more about.

I appreciate you at least answering my questions. It's just something I've thought about on occasions, and wondered how feasible or profitable it might be, I'm just whatever headaches might be included. And I guess the government doesn't make anything easy though.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Hehe, I read that as square foot level standards like you need a big enough building or something. I just worked with restaurants in construction in the past but never an actual food product producer. Part of the times when I do work different businesses I end up chit-chatting the owners and just getting an idea of exactly what they do at their place in business, and I guess that's one type of industry I've not had the opportunity to learn more about.

I appreciate you at least answering my questions. It's just something I've thought about on occasions, and wondered how feasible or profitable it might be, I'm just whatever headaches might be included. And I guess the government doesn't make anything easy though.

Between the government and the large corporation level food industries, you're right. Though I find the large corps to be more annoying/demanding than the FDA. Luckily the biggest we've really dealt with has been Rich's and they're the most laid back of the bunch. Walmart for example is a nightmare with their requirements.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Between the government and the large corporation level food industries, you're right. Though I find the large corps to be more annoying/demanding than the FDA. Luckily the biggest we've really dealt with has been Rich's and they're the most laid back of the bunch. Walmart for example is a nightmare with their requirements.
Is there anything stopping somebody from just selling whatever at a farmer's market, or to maybe a local restaurant or food truck, or is that depending upon where you live? I've bought wild game from one of our farmers markets that used to be here before kungflu from a lady who basically just had stuff packed away in a cooler, and she was out there pretty much every weekend. I doubt she was doing anything to follow regulations. Look like it was a pretty homegrown operation.

Was that illegal I don't really know, nor really cared. Another lots of people that make their own salsa and such, but I'm not quite sure if they're getting some sort of government approval before they pervey their product.

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Is there anything stopping somebody from just selling whatever at a farmer's market, or to maybe a local restaurant or food truck, or is that depending upon where you live? I've bought wild game from one of our farmers markets that used to be here before kungflu from a lady who basically just had stuff packed away in a cooler, and she was out there pretty much every weekend. I doubt she was doing anything to follow regulations. Look like it was a pretty homegrown operation.

Was that illegal I don't really know, nor really cared. Another lots of people that make their own salsa and such, but I'm not quite sure if they're getting some sort of government approval before they pervey their product.

Anything small scale like that which doesn't cross state lines would be whatever your local regulations are. Technically you'd still fall under FDA but you'll be well under their radar. If you're curious about FDA regs, the relevant CFR is CFR 21 Subchapter B

• 1Like

Sludig

Silver Baronet of the Realm
I do work from home but this is unattended cooking. I use a Dutch oven but you can easily crockpot this while at work
I mean I'm gone for almost 11 hours at a time. Don't really trust that. Though I was mainly referring to seemed like a few 2-3 hour stints beyond one long one

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider

I would guess there are production facilities that will make whatever to your specifications so that you don't have to directly deal with regulations/facilities etc? Pricier I also assume, but might be an easier way to get started once you've proven out your concept at a small level (could maybe do that with a food truck or renting off-hours commercial kitchens from a church or similar).

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I mean I'm gone for almost 11 hours at a time. Don't really trust that. Though I was mainly referring to seemed like a few 2-3 hour stints beyond one long one

That sort of schedule is kind of what slow cookers were made for. Set it to cook on low for 8 hours, when its done it just goes into warming mode to keep it warm until you get home.

The reheating method the next day isn't necessary, it's just a bit better than doing it the night before and then microwave heating it the next day. The same way that dry brining a steak for 6-24 hours before cooking is better than just cooking a steak as is. Gonna be good either way, just a bit better.

Throw the meat in before you go to work. When you get home take the meat out, pull it, cook the rice and stir it in, eat, put the leftovers in the fridge. Those big, fatty cuts of meat tend to be the easiest meal makers simply because you just let it cook, and if you're gone all day you aren't getting tortured by the delicious smell for hours before it's ready like I am.

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I would guess there are production facilities that will make whatever to your specifications so that you don't have to directly deal with regulations/facilities etc? Pricier I also assume, but might be an easier way to get started once you've proven out your concept at a small level (could maybe do that with a food truck or renting off-hours commercial kitchens from a church or similar).
It's kind of what I was wondering. Start small, build up a reputation that way you can at least have a backbone to try to sell the product, and maybe hook up with a restaurant or food truck, etc. You could make it a collaboration or whatever the hell, guess just depends upon what relationships you can court.

I'm not necessarily opposed to sharing a business idea was somebody reliable, but my original thought was to try to do it by myself that way I've got total control, but again I don't have any experience whatsoever with food production.

I just always wondered if I could actually break into the industry somehow, and making tasty porchetta that might be affordable for people could be an option, and wouldn't require me opening a restaurant or something. Could easily train people to make the product, I'm in as long as you can secure buyers, maybe make a decent living decent.
Again it's just an idea I've been kicking around for a long time.

I mean come on, who wouldn't want to buy a Dr.Retarded's Porchetta! Sure to make every family meal a shit show...😉

• 1Like

Fogel

Mr. Poopybutthole
Only downside to using co-mans is if its low volume. They either won't bite or you'll be at the bottom of the list for production time. We hate change overs and low runners

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users