Cheap Meals: Eating on a budget.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Why don't we do that here in the US? You figured you'd be able to find it in my grocery stores no problem, when you do it's super expensive.

Rabbits don't produce eggs or eat bugs, which is a disadvantage compared to chickens if you need everything on your farm to be as multi-functional as possible. They also carry a lot of diseases and the kits tend to die easily. The meat of adults is SUPER lean and stringy to the point where you're limited in how to cook it. It's easier to fatten up chickens, and then you're also getting eggs and a cleaner barnyard. (Source: Grandpa was farmer)

Also, Americans buying meat in supermarkets don't like to eat cute things.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Rabbits don't produce eggs or eat bugs, which is a disadvantage compared to chickens if you need everything on your farm to be as multi-functional as possible. They also carry a lot of diseases and the kits tend to die easily. The meat of adults is SUPER lean and stringy to the point where you're limited in how to cook it. It's easier to fatten up chickens, and then you're also getting eggs and a cleaner barnyard. (Source: Grandpa was farmer)

Also, Americans buying meat in supermarkets don't like to eat cute things.
I honestly didn't know much about raising them, I just know they're a staple for the French and I guess that's because you don't need a big footprint for them, and they breed relatively quick. Not that you need that much for chickens either.

I just really enjoy eating it and anytime I get it it's a treat, again all the ones I've ever had were typically hunted. Typically you'd end up braising it somehow with additional pork fat, but pan seared is good, or in a stew.

Was thinking about it though and another thing you never see in the stores anymore is shark. He used to be able to find it pretty regularly and it was always cheap. If my parents wanted to do fish we buy it pretty often and it's similar to swordfish. Hell I remember buying it in college because it used to be two bucks a pound. Always just toss on the grill and a foil pack and do a Veracruz or something similar. Serve it with some black beans and rice and maybe an avocado, but I don't remember the last time I've even seen it let alone had it, other than catching the occasional bonnet head inshore when I lived in Charleston. Those have almost a lemony taste to them, and again the texture is a lot like swordfish or tuna, very tasty.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I honestly didn't know much about raising them, I just know they're a staple for the French and I guess that's because you don't need a big footprint for them, and they breed relatively quick. Not that you need that much for chickens either.

I just really enjoy eating it and anytime I get it it's a treat, again all the ones I've ever had were typically hunted. Typically you'd end up braising it somehow with additional pork fat, but pan seared is good, or in a stew.

Was thinking about it though and another thing you never see in the stores anymore is shark. He used to be able to find it pretty regularly and it was always cheap. If my parents wanted to do fish we buy it pretty often and it's similar to swordfish. Hell I remember buying it in college because it used to be two bucks a pound. Always just toss on the grill and a foil pack and do a Veracruz or something similar. Serve it with some black beans and rice and maybe an avocado, but I don't remember the last time I've even seen it let alone had it, other than catching the occasional bonnet head inshore when I lived in Charleston. Those have almost a lemony taste to them, and again the texture is a lot like swordfish or tuna, very tasty.

Probably due to mercury. All of the large predator fish that live a long time (shark, swordfish, tuna) all accumulate a ton of mercury in their bodies compared to something like salmon which have a life cycle of a few years and have much lower mercury levels.

I stopped eating tuna after my sister and I had that revelation that our father may be going crazier as he ages because he eats tuna for lunch every single day, and has for at least 45 years.

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Khane

Got something right about marriage
I think you may have to be a certain amount of crazy to eat the same thing for lunch every day for 45 years

• 3Worf
Reactions: 2 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Probably due to mercury. All of the large predator fish that live a long time (shark, swordfish, tuna) all accumulate a ton of mercury in their bodies compared to something like salmon which have a life cycle of a few years and have much lower mercury levels.

I stopped eating tuna after my sister and I had that revelation that our father may be going crazier as he ages because he eats tuna for lunch every single day, and has for at least 45 years.
That actually makes a lot of sense. I didn't know if it was because there was some movement to protect the sharks like save the whales or something. I do know Gordon Ramsay did a episode on one of his shows about shark fin soup in Asia and just the complete waste of the meat where they just catching shark after shark I'm laughing the fins off. Think this was in China no surprise there. You'd think they'd eat all of it considering they'll eat anything under the sun.

Probably a combination of both, or maybe it's just not profitable anymore.

Cutlery

Kill All the White People
<Gold Donor>
I think you may have to be a certain amount of crazy to eat the same thing for lunch every day for 45 years

The first step of being crazy is being consistently crazy

• 1Worf

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
as long as you're doing the cooking, you can eat on the cheap very easily. pound of pasta a buck. cheap sauce another buck. chicken quarters a buck a pound. thats like enough food for 3 people for around 5 dollars. breakfast, make some waffles or pancakes, they sell the mix in dollar tree. lunch is some cold cuts an a roll. thats a few dollars there. drink some chinese tea. 100 packets for a dollar or two. its cheap and healthy. its all easy.
Cheap? Yes. Healthy? Fuck no lol. It's cheap because it's low quality garbage.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Cheap? Yes. Healthy? Fuck no lol. It's cheap because it's low quality garbage.
sorry, i didnt know this was the lumi health food thread. i feel so stupid thinking this was the

"Cheap Meals: Eating on a budget." thread.​

• 1Worf

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
sorry, i didnt know this was the lumi health food thread. i feel so stupid thinking this was the

"Cheap Meals: Eating on a budget." thread.​

Ya but you specifically said it was healthy when it's not even fucking close to being healthy lol. Just correcting your stupid ass is all.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Ya but you specifically said it was healthy when it's not even fucking close to being healthy lol. Just correcting your stupid ass is all.
*drink some chinese tea. 100 packets for a dollar or two. its cheap and healthy.*
chinese tea isnt healthy? please explain.

• 1Like

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
*drink some chinese tea. 100 packets for a dollar or two. its cheap and healthy.*
Bro it's dirt cheap for a reason and that reason is because it's dirt quality. It's mass produced in soil devoid of nutrients and is probably heavily sprayed with chemicals.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.

I had a friend who lost 40 lbs on a diet where he'd eat 3 cans of tuna and all the green leafies he could stand. He kept up that tuna consumption for years. He was a little nuts before, but a lot nuts after. One day at lunch someone made a crack about mercury poisoning and everyone at the table did a spit take. We looked up the symptoms and he had ALL of them. Mad as a hatter indeed.

• 2Worf

Lumi

Vyemm Raider
Smelling canned tuna back in my grade school days was some of the most vile shit I can remember. How the fuck anyone can eat that is truly beyond me.

• 2Solidarity
  • 1Like
Reactions: 2 users

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
GFS has great fried chicken, prob the best fried chicken I ever bought in a store, $8 for 8 piece.They just recently started making their broasted chicken and its great. I usually pick up 2 boxes a week and the wife and kids love it. GFS has great prices on ground meat, but they sell them in 10/lb rolls Like $2.60/lb for 81/19?. Of course the pork butts which I mentioned before are always $1.80 something per lb. They also have these great frozen spicy breaded chicken breasts. Make great chicken sammies/burgers. They have these nuggets that are really close to McDonalds nuggets. But you have to fry them. They have gyro meat frozen in a box which is great for making your gyros at home just pan fry the strips and put on a greek pita with homemade tzatziki sauce. I also buy all my pizza making shit there. The mozzarella cheese they have is great, they sell huge bags of pepperoni plus frozen dough balls for $2.50 a pop which makes great 14" pizza or I make Detroit style in a metal 9x14 pan.
gfs?

Sludig

Golden Baronet of the Realm
They sure do but they're so damn tasty.

Speaking of French though, I know they eat a lot of rabbit, which is also delicious and they do it because it's cheap and they're easy to raise. Why don't we do that here in the US? You figured you'd be able to find it in my grocery stores no problem, when you do it's super expensive.

Guess I ought to just build a cage and raise a bunch myself. The ones we always ate we pretty much hunted.
It's pretty popular out here in Oklahoma most places I've picked up animals from had a rabbit pen. In just not sure about the economics of raising them, they actually can be bite happy assholes, and I think id have a harder tone butchering fluffy the bunny

• 1Like

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
My uncle raised some meat rabbits once and my Grandma cooked them up like fried chicken. Cooked like that it tasted about like fried chicken too. My girlfriends kids have pet rabbits and I don't think I'd feel bad butchering them. They are the most worthless pets ever, they just sit in their cages and do nothing all day.

gettyimages-73001995-612x612.jpg

This guy, Karl Szmolinsky, raised giant rabbits that he thought could be used to feed the world's poor. He even sold 6 breeding rabbits to North Korea because they told him they would be used to feed starving children but it turned out that Kim Jong-il just wanted to serve them at a banquet to impress his guests. I think mostly they are just used as pets for white people to post on instagram about.

• 1Mother of God
  • 1Quality Calories

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
My uncle raised some meat rabbits once and my Grandma cooked them up like fried chicken. Cooked like that it tasted about like fried chicken too. My girlfriends kids have pet rabbits and I don't think I'd feel bad butchering them. They are the most worthless pets ever, they just sit in their cages and do nothing all day.

View attachment 521059

This guy, Karl Szmolinsky, raised giant rabbits that he thought could be used to feed the world's poor. He even sold 6 breeding rabbits to North Korea because they told him they would be used to feed starving children but it turned out that Kim Jong-il just wanted to serve them at a banquet to impress his guests.
Holy shit, that's a big rabbit, and I'm sure very delicious.

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
please say you meant 100packets for 10$... cuz youre literally drinking penny water, idk what to say