Cheap Meals: Eating on a budget.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
please say you meant 100packets for 10$... cuz youre literally drinking penny water, idk what to say
thats what they sell at the asian supermarket. ive been to several different asian supermarkets in this area and the oolong, green or black tea has been very inexpensive . why would asians buy the cheap tea if it wasnt authentic?

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
Has anyone ever been to aldis? Heard it was cheap. Just wondering if it’s a good cheap or bad food cheap..

Lanx

<Prior Amod>
thats what they sell at the asian supermarket. ive been to several different asian supermarkets in this area and the oolong, green or black tea has been very inexpensive . why would asians buy the cheap tea if it wasnt authentic?
are you getting these kinds?
6c86c7fb0a6d0694dd58357b7d1fd804.png

Izo

Tranny Chaser
Has anyone ever been to aldis? Heard it was cheap. Just wondering if it’s a good cheap or bad food cheap..
All of them shut down / was sold to competing store chains in dk recently. Nazi germany is aldi's origin, borders dk. It's so cheap and crappy we don't want it. Perfect.

Daidraco

Golden Baronet of the Realm
The costco pizza is pretty good too. 18" pep for $10? shit, every time im in there I get 1-2 for the fam.
Back when I let myself eat that shit, I could never wrap my head around spending that much on a Pizza at the grocery store when I could just do a Carry Out pizza at whatever chain, thats doing something like a Large 3 topping for 12.99. Ive bought some out of curiosity, and yea, a few are really good. But generally, a chain's Pizza is just as good as long as you eat it fresh.
How many of my fellow poors had moms that would "splurge" on cube steak? I usually loaded mine up with A1 or Worcestershire sauce to power through it

View attachment 520985
I was trying to experiment with all kinds of different sauces, reading all the ingredients and nutrition facts.. and I came across A1. Used to DRENCH everything with it when I was a kid. The cheap ass steak my parents let me have. The baked potato, etc. Bro, that shit is fucking $5-6 bucks for a small bottle of it now. At that fucking price, in combination with a low tier steak - might as well say fuck it and just get a nice steak where you dont need any bullshit sauce.
willingly eats white rice, by choice, but calls Chicken Fried Steak "breaded cardboard"

ok
Hey pal. I eat the hell out of white rice. I like buying Challenge butter and putting a bit of that on it with a bit more salt, and OooWhee thats the stuff. Can eat mountains of it as long as the rice is cooked properly.

All the shit I used to eat when I was a kid and my parents were broke-broke, has actually, like A1, gotten really fucking expensive. Hell, my Grandmother told me that Lobster used to be incredibly cheap way back in her day. Now even the fake Lobster meat is fucking expensive.

• 2Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 2 users

The_Black_Log Foler

Stock Pals Senior Vice President
<Gold Donor>
All of them shut down / was sold to competing store chains in dk recently. Nazi germany is aldi's origin, borders dk. It's so cheap and crappy we don't want it. Perfect.
Wtf is dk? Dairy king?

• 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
Cowboy Kent had some interesting videos on the chuck wagon, cast iron cookware tricks, and cowboy coffee, but never made any of his recipes.

Cooking meals at home is step one for eating on a budget, which, if the fake/gay news is to be believed, seems like way too many people have a problem with these days.
We use his seasoning all the time.

• 1Solidarity

Chanur

Shit Posting Professional
<Gold Donor>
How many of my fellow poors had moms that would "splurge" on cube steak? I usually loaded mine up with A1 or Worcestershire sauce to power through it

View attachment 520985
Something like this or the cheap pork chops would end up in a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup when I was growing up.

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Something like this or the cheap pork chops would end up in a crock pot with cream of mushroom soup when I was growing up.
I really just enjoy those thin cut fatty pork chops cooked in cast iron, with macaroni and cheese and some broccoli. Cooked separately of course. That's how my mom always did it and there's nothing better than a little crispy fat pork chop. She typically always overcooked them, I got it down pat to where there's still nice and tender, despite being a half inch thicker whatever. You're supposed to do nothing on Earth that taste like it, and I guess it reminds me of my childhood.

Luckily you can still get crappy little pork chops like that cheap, but I don't know for how long.

• 3Like
Reactions: 2 users

BrutulTM

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun.
<Silver Donator>
Cube steaks are supposed to be cut up into chicken finger size and then dusted with flour and deep fried or pan fried. They're called "finger steaks" since you eat them with your hands and usually get dipped in ketchup or a mix of ketchup and pickle relish. They're actually pretty great.

800px-Finger_steaks.jpg

• 4Quality Calories
  • 1Like
Reactions: 4 users

Control

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
I didn't know if it was because there was some movement to protect the sharks like save the whales or something.
Not sure about shark, but there are only a handful of places left to get whale I believe. I've had it a couple of times, and it was pretty tasty, definitely not what I expected though.

For cheap food, southern food is pretty great if you don't mind a little cooking. It's pretty much flour, fat, and whatever meat and veggies you're able to scrounge up. Biscuits and gravy, or even just butter are delicious. Corn bread and butter with stewed potatoes... etc etc. Never really thought of it as cheap food growing up. It was just what people cooked. Now I look back and it's like yeah, that makes sense, but it was also delicious. I mean, how much does a pan of biscuits cost?

We hardly ever eat out now. It's rare enough that I don't even care about the cost (well, other than on principal), but things are just getting shittier. It seems like every time I go out for something, the food and the service are both a little worse. I assume that places are cutting costs everywhere they can to avoid turning people away due to sticker shock, but fuck, I'd rather them just charge me what the old version would cost. At least then I could enjoy it. Just got back from a local pizza place. I grew up eating there, and it's always been consistent, solid pizza. The past couple of times, it's like they've turned their crust to cardboard though. It's gotten to the point where if we don't want to bother with cooking, most of the time I'd rather eat a cold tuna wrap than go and pay to be disappointed.

• 1Solidarity

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
I really just enjoy those thin cut fatty pork chops cooked in cast iron, with macaroni and cheese and some broccoli. Cooked separately of course. That's how my mom always did it and there's nothing better than a little crispy fat pork chop. She typically always overcooked them, I got it down pat to where there's still nice and tender, despite being a half inch thicker whatever. You're supposed to do nothing on Earth that taste like it, and I guess it reminds me of my childhood.

Luckily you can still get crappy little pork chops like that cheap, but I don't know for how long.
pork chops come out really well in the air fryer. i think the time is 6 minutes on steak setting. YMMV

• 1Like

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
pork chops come out really well in the air fryer. i think the time is 6 minutes on steak setting. YMMV
Most of the chops I make now or typically thicker and I do them on the grill, but there's something to be said for those little breakfast sized pork chops that are what maybe a quarter inch thick. You can get those big value packs that will have 16 of the damn things in there.

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
cube steak looks like a cube b/c it is mechanical tenderization of an incredibly shitty cut, bottom round

basically the only reason why ppl thought, cube steak which is turned into chicken fried steak, actually tasted good was cuz they was just eating gravy w/ breaded cardboard.
Cube steaks are top round ya ignant wretch, not bottom round. And top round is fine, you just gotta braise that sumbitch low and slow. Whoever came up with the idea of making steaks out of top round committed a grave sin against beef.

• 1Like