Cheap Meals: Eating on a budget.

Fucker

Log Wizard
Most of the chops I make now or typically thicker and I do them on the grill, but there's something to be said for those little breakfast sized pork chops that are what maybe a quarter inch thick. You can get those big value packs that will have 16 of the damn things in there.

Little woman loves those things. Season w/Watkins all purpose, a few dashes of Lea & Perrins, toss in pan w/butter. Quick to cook. Cheap. Pack of 4 gives 3 meals. W/rice and veg, comes out to $1.65 a meal. Fancy it up w/mashed potatoes, gravy, stove top stuffing, veg.

• 1Like
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
Little woman loves those things. Season w/Watkins all purpose, a few dashes of Lea & Perrins, toss in pan w/butter. Quick to cook. Cheap. Pack of 4 gives 3 meals. W/rice and veg, comes out to $1.65 a meal. Fancy it up w/mashed potatoes, gravy, stove top stuffing, veg.
da baby GIF

• 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Burns

Golden Baronet of the Realm
After years growing up with my family overcooking pork until it's dry lumps of cardboard, I can't eat much pork anymore. It's basically pulled pork, bacon, and a single pork chop recipe for me.

Here is the pork chop recipe, since pork chops are still cheapish, this recipe can be pretty cheep too. It's super simple, that makes it's own white gravy and cooks all in one pan. I add cayenne pepper and paprika to the flour. I also add the milk directly to the bag with the flour in it, after the chops are cooking, and shake, to get a good mixed/non lumpy gravy (instead of using a whisk in a bowl, like the recipe states).

It may not look great, but it's the best way I have found to have moist pork chops. I also mash/smash up potatoes for this meal.
2024-03-23 13.34.35 whatscookingamerica.net 0cdcf3f91fa3.png

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
After years growing up with my family overcooking pork until it's dry lumps of cardboard, I can't eat much pork anymore. It's basically pulled pork, bacon, and a single pork chop recipe for me.

Here is the pork chop recipe, since pork chops are still cheapish, this recipe can be pretty cheep too. It's super simple, that makes it's own white gravy and cooks all in one pan. I add cayenne pepper and paprika to the flour. I also add the milk directly to the bag with the flour in it, after the chops are cooking, and shake, to get a good mixed/non lumpy gravy (instead of using a whisk in a bowl, like the recipe states).

It may not look great, but it's the best way I have found to have moist pork chops. I also mash/smash up potatoes for this meal.
View attachment 521146
We do something similar. When I pick up those giant pork loins, I'll cut pretty thick chops out of it and the fattier the better, and then dredge them in Italian bread crumbs or you can use panko, brown and set aside. You don't cook the pork chops completely just them nice and crispy.

I'll then saute in the same pan a bunch of mushrooms and onions or something, use whatever aromatics I have to hand, splash with a little bit of stock or if you've got some Brandy, white wine whatever to deglaze. Make a very small roux, and then typically add milk or even half and half, and then can of cream of mushroom soup. Get that sort of cooked and then dump it into a big Pyrex dish, and then set the pork chops back in. Toss back in the oven for a bit until it's done. Meanwhile prepare your steamed vegetables or mashed potatoes or whatever.

The kind of sit there and braise in the gravy, but the tops are always still nice and crispy, and I've never had them turn out dry. I think it's a recipe one of my aunt's used to make maybe that's where I learned it. It was supposed to be a cheap mimic of breaded veal that my great-grandmother used to make, where she would take veal chops and basically do the same thing. Top with some fresh parsley and green onions and you're good to go.

It's a great meal especially during the winter time.

• 1Like

mkopec

<Gold Donor>
We bread and pan fry all of our chops, bonus for the ones that are bone in. Its the only way to eat them IMO. Any other way I ever tried was dry ass shoe leather. My favorite dish that moms always used to make is pan fried breaded chops, cooked cabbage with sauage and roux and mashed potato. She still makes it for me on my B-day.

• 1Quality Calories

ToeMissile

Pronouns: zie/zhem/zer
<Gold Donor>
dude you know what the whitest shit happened to me as a kid? i grew up in a italian/jew hood so white ppl food was normal, but one time in middle school i had a partner project so the dude just invited me over to finish up and his mom was home and said, "wow you brought home an oriental, lemme make you guys my dumplings"

hey back then oriental wasn't even a microaggression and i was taught to be respectful, and someone invited me in and feeding me... however i did grow up chinese having dim sum every weekend, so when the mom brough out this
226c436dc4c9c216853b7733283b0031.png

drop globs of dough in water is white ppl dumpling
My wife had a similar experience, “WTF, it’s just dough?!”

• 1Like

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
its one of those really unfortunate cases where two cultures use the same word for completely different foods. like pudding

the asian meaning of dumpling is obviously superior here, the wet biscuit style ones are generally pretty bland and pointless

Burns

Years of playing MMOs had me guilded/grouped with a lot of various Asian type people (1st to 10th gen from China, Vietnam, Korea, Japan). So after a decade+ of hearing about how good "dumplings" were, I finally looked up a recipe and found this:
2024-03-23 16.36.56 tastykitchen.com 58e961bed504.png

I was rather dubious of them and it took me a while to find a picture that looked... not terrible. It was actually pretty good, but nothing special, and thought that is what they were talking about for the longest time... so I have still never had an Asian style dumpling.

Anyway, that recipe should be fairly cheap...

• 1Like

Khane

Got something right about marriage
Do you live in Antarctica? And how was that the best recipe you could find on the internet?

The pioneer woman sure does know how to make Asian style dumplings...

Whatever you want to call them almost every culture has "dumplings". Filling in small pockets of dough.

Ravioli is a dumpling
Pierogi is a dumpling

Gavinmad

Mr. Poopybutthole
I've no doubt all those complicated chop recipes are delicious but a quick pan sear is less work, fewer dirty dishes, and I haven't had a problem with them being too dry.

• 1Like

Burns

Do you live in Antarctica? And how was that the best recipe you could find on the internet?

The pioneer woman sure does know how to make Asian style dumplings...

Whatever you want to call them almost every culture has "dumplings". Filling in small pockets of dough.

Ravioli is a dumpling
Pierogi is a dumpling
Dumplings were dumplings in my mind. I had never heard of them before the dudes in my guild were raving about how good they were and they seemed to eat them all the time. So that's the recipe I ended up on sometime between 2007 and 2010. I don't exactly remember how I picked that one.

My family didn't/doesn't make or order Asian food (it's a rare occasion), which makes it so I never hunger for it. Nowadays that means trying to make Asian dumplings doesn't usually pop into my mind when thinking of what we need at the grocery store.

Last edited:

Aldarion

Egg Nazi
Braised is the way to go for pork chops. You can go with high heat for a short time, and end up with a moist but still really chewy piece of meat. Or (as most of our moms probably cooked them) baked in the oven for too long, so they're shoe leather. Braising avoids the toughness and the dryness.

Other thing I'll add is that theres several different cuts all sold as pork chops and success with a given cooking method is likely going to depend on the type

• 1Like

Khane

Dumplings were dumplings in my mind. I had never heard of them before the dudes in my guild were raving about how good they were and they seemed to eat them all the time. So that's the recipe I ended up on sometime between 2007 and 2010. I don't exactly remember how I picked that one.

My family didn't/doesn't make or order Asian food (it's a rare occasion), which makes it so I never hunger for it. Nowadays that means trying to make Asian dumplings doesn't usually pop into my mind when thinking of what we need at the grocery store.

Okay, but you have to understand how weird that is. Never saw them on a cooking show or in a movie? Never saw them on a Chinese menu?

In 1950 I would expect that to be true. In 2007 though? That's kinda wild man. Especially since, presumably, these Asian guildmates of yours were explaining them to you.

Burns

Okay, but you have to understand how weird that is. Never saw them on a cooking show or in a movie? Never saw them on a Chinese menu?

In 1950 I would expect that to be true. In 2007 though? That's kinda wild man. Especially since, presumably, these Asian guildmates of yours were explaining them to you.
Not really explaining them, no. Just saying stuff like "going to go get some dumplings, brb" and "damn these dumplings are great"... multiple times a month. If it was during a 40m raid break there was a lot of chatter and that kinda stuff goes in passing, like everyone just assumes that everyone else knows what a dumpling is. If it was during dungeon farming then I was probably too busy also eating to ask much about them, then it was back to farming as soon as we were done.

As for "fast food" Chinese restaurants, they have like 5 items on the menu: Fried Rice, Eggrolls, Sweet & Sour Chicken, General Tso Chicken, and Lo Mien noodles...

When I was growing up, before high school, I went to the single fancy Chinese restaurant in town, where you get little cups of hot Tea and shit, once. Still, I'm pretty sure they only had those 5 things on the menu!

Only other Asian restaurants I have been to is one high end Vietnamese place (I think. They had cabbage wrapped spring rolls that were good), a few times in Houston and a Thai buffet that a friend and I asked for some menu item that was listed as hot...

Khane

I'm trying to imagine where you live because chinese menus everywhere I've been in the US are the same as they are here in Connecticut. Like it's just one big franchise. And they all have like 80 things on the menu. And dumplings and wontons (fried dumplings) are heavily featured

An American Chinese menu without Chicken/Beef and Broccoli, Mu Shu Pork, garlic sauce, Chefs delight, firecracker chicken, golden fingers, spare ribs, etc... I've never seen it.

What about Crab Rangoon? Are you telling me you've never had Crab Rangoon?

Last edited:

Khane

Fuck... Dragon and Phoenix, Sesame Chicken, Orange Chicken, hot and sour soup? Egg drop soup? Pepper steak?

What the fuck kinda Chinese restaurant doesn't have these things?

• 1Like

Burns

Fuck... Dragon and Phoenix, Sesame Chicken, Orange Chicken, hot and sour soup? Egg drop soup? Pepper steak?

What the fuck kinda Chinese restaurant doesn't have these things?
I was being funny, in that, all that I saw were those 5 things, because we never really ate Chinese food. I have lived in many places, but for the first half of my life I lived in small all-white towns. No Asians to make Asian food there.

Then I spent a few years in a medium city, where there were maybe a few fast food type delivery Chinese places, 1 fancy sit down Chinese restaurant, and 1 Thai buffet. My grand parents lived in that city, so if we were going to eat at a sit down place, they were probably coming with us (often with other family too), which meant we ate Italian or American, nothing else was an option. Fast food options were usually Subway, Burger King, or Wendy's, since that's what was close, otherwise it was homecooked. Even getting a pizza delivered was kinda rare.

Then it was big city Houston and we would all rather eat Mexican, Italian, or Steak, so no Asian food, with only a few exceptions. One of those was when I worked in the mall in high school and would eat Lo Mein noodles regularly at the food court, but I don't think I ever ordered a single different item on their menu.

As an adult, I would still rather eat Mexican, Italian, or Steak, and all of my family are fine with that, on the very rare occasion we go out to eat. I can cook food as good as any reasonably priced restaurant and we are not going to go to a $50+ a plate place outside of special occasions.

Last edited:

Khane

You should get over your fear of new things and try some Asian dumplings. They're usually cheap too so perfect theme for this thread!

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
I've no doubt all those complicated chop recipes are delicious but a quick pan sear is less work, fewer dirty dishes, and I haven't had a problem with them being too dry.
Absolutely. I love just then fatty pork chops seared and a cast iron skillet, a box of macaroni and cheese or some mashed potatoes, some steamed broccoli, it's a simple quick delicious meal.

Sometimes you just want to change it up though, and it doesn't take that much more effort to make something that can turn out even better, especially if you have thicker ones. I really like the thin ones when you can just flash sear them, and get that crispy outside band of fat, tastiest part of the shop.

The other recipes also make it easy to set in the oven and cook while you're making all your other sides, or you don't even have to necessarily bake it if it's just set and ready. Sometimes this is more convenient, and still pretty close to a one-pot meal. Chops in your big pan, another pan or pot for your starch, and a microwave safe bowl, or even though Frozen bagged vegetables which eliminates another cooking vessel.