Chekov dead at 27

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
Jeep that killed 'Star Trek' actor Anton Yelchin was flagged for safety problems - Jun. 20, 2016

Looks like he thought it was in park, and to be honest, its a little asinine to expect to use the parking break EVERY single time you get out of the vehicle. Unless your on a very steep incline, putting the vehicle in park should be enough and is what 99% of what people do. Jumping out to check the mailbox in your driveway before leaving seems like a totally understandable 'throw it in park, grab your mail, and leave' moment.
when you park on a steep hill you should put the emergency brake on AND turn your wheels toward the curb if you you are pointing downward and away if you are pointing upward. its impossible to get run over if you do that simple trick that even the driver's manual i read as a teen tells you to do.
rrr_img_136000.jpg

rrr_img_136001.jpg

rrr_img_136002.jpg

Nuttin_sl

shitlord
What a horrible way to go, almost like a rat trap.

I suspect foul play, the only reason to go out of the car when you have an automatic gate is if the gate cant be opened, a fact he had to have known when he got to his house previous, unless of course it broke down the same day, thing is though, a gate that dont work, usually (when it comes to movie stars and shit) have a system in place that tells you that your gate dont work, he wears the red shirt in star trek for a reason, bitch aint no engineer.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Depends if it was a manual or automatic trans. I know my jeep wrangler which is manual does not have a "park" LOL, its either put it in 1st or some people put it in 3rd when parked or flip up the emergency break or both. Anyone that drove a manual before knows to flip up that emergency break every time you park.

I guarantee he drove some manual, there is no way that any auto trans gave way and sent his car backwards while in park.
I sincerely doubt that Jeep has even had a manual available in a Grand Cherokee in the past decade or two.

Personally I rarely used my e-brake back when I had a manual, if only because I live in a pretty flat city. If I was parking on a hill, yeah, obviously, and I'd make sure my wheels were pointed in the right direction as well. But in an automatic there's little reason to use an e-brake these days. And depending on the design, e-brakes can actually be a pain in the cunt and freeze up in cold climates.

In any case, the guy clearly fucked up. But this was such a problem with that particular model that they were recalled, so I'm not sure that you can entirely blame him.

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
Our LS460 has auto applied parking brake when you put it in park. Would have prevented this even if the parking pawl in the transmission slipped.

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Our LS460 has auto applied parking brake when you put it in park. Would have prevented this even if the parking pawl in the transmission slipped.
He didn't put it in park. How would that feature have prevented it?

Cad

<Bronze Donator>
He didn't put it in park. How would that feature have prevented it?
Well, if it weren't in park at first, wouldn't it have rolled away while he was getting out, and noticed? The hill looked steep. I guess I assumed he had put it in park and it disengaged or otherwise failed. If it really was just in neutral and he didn't notice it rolling... well, ok, then the auto parking brake feature wouldn't have done shit, but thats also darwin award worthy...

Eomer

Trakanon Raider
Well, if it weren't in park at first, wouldn't it have rolled away while he was getting out, and noticed? The hill looked steep. I guess I assumed he had put it in park and it disengaged or otherwise failed. If it really was just in neutral and he didn't notice it rolling... well, ok, then the auto parking brake feature wouldn't have done shit, but thats also darwin award worthy...
Depending on how the vehicle was parked, if the tires were turned/straight, and a few other things it's entirely possible that the vehicle didn't start moving immediately when he got out. Every indication is that he got out of it while it was in neutral, because that particular gear selector design is apparently shit. It's not a mechanical issue that it skips out of park. It's a bad design that leads to lots of people putting it in neutral when they think it's in park:Jeep involved in fatal Anton Yelchin accident was subject of safety recall | Fox News

Hundreds of owners filed complaints with the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration that it was confusing to use. Several had exited their vehicles without having engaged Park as intended, leading to rollaway events despite warning lights and sounds designed to prevent this from happening.

In April, Fiat Chrysler reported that there had been 41 injuries related to the problem and issued a recall for 2014-2015 Grand Cherokees with the 8-speed transmission to update their software to give enhanced warnings and prevent the vehicles from moving if a door is opened when it is not in Park. The 2012-2014 Dodge Charger and Chrysler 300 sedans that used the same gear selector were also recalled. Fiat Chrysler now uses a more conventional lever in all three models.
I don't really have a problem with the design, because I'm not retarded. The general public, however, very much is. I can see how someone in a hurry could hop in the vehicle, put it in drive, realize "oh shit I forgot something", quickly try to put it back in park and only end up with it in neutral. And as I said, depending on exactly how it was parked, it may not have started to move as soon as he got out. But when it did start moving, he probably pulled the dumbass play of getting behind it in a vain attempt to stop a 5000 lb vehicle from going down a 10-20% slope, and paid the ultimate price for it with a really shitty, likely slow death.

People get confused by this shit easily. I know my ex-girlfriend had a hell of a time figuring out how the transmission worked in my 2010 5-series. Even though it's dead simple. You hold the lock button on the side and pull it back to go from park to drive. You push it forward to go in reverse. You push a button on top (and that's an important difference from the Jeep design, having park as a separate button) to put it back in park. It goes in to park automatically when you shut the ignition off, as well. She could not figure that shit out, or even how to start the car (put your foot on the fucking brake!), when left on her own with it one day while I was at an event. I had to leave the event and walk a mile to where the car was left to show her. And she's actually really smart. Just not very good with anything mechanical. She drove her Toyota Matrix in sport mode for the first month or two until I was riding with her one day and noticed that she took the lever all the way down and to the left, one notch past regular drive.

Palum

what Suineg set it to
This is the problem with shit today. It's never anyone's fault for not reading the fucking manual, getting the recall completed or taking the time to give mechanical monstrosities the attention they need to ensure safe operation.

I wish half this shit weren't the case on airplanes, but it goes on there too. The difference is A) you usually die (instead of occasionally) B) if you don't, the FAA comes down on you like the fist of an angry god and C) you have to prove some competence before being allowed in an airplane cockpit, unlike with licensing requirements for automobiles in the US.

Chukzombi

Millie's Staff Member
This is the problem with shit today. It's never anyone's fault for not reading the fucking manual, getting the recall completed or taking the time to give mechanical monstrosities the attention they need to ensure safe operation.

I wish half this shit weren't the case on airplanes, but it goes on there too. The difference is A) you usually die (instead of occasionally) B) if you don't, the FAA comes down on you like the fist of an angry god and C) you have to prove some competence before being allowed in an airplane cockpit, unlike with licensing requirements for automobiles in the US.
i chalk it up to being a dumb young person. i did some dumb shit when i first started driving. my first car was a gigantic ford station wagon from the 70s.
rrr_img_136042.jpg
it was basically a tank and when i had my friends with me i used to stop the car by very slowly driving the car into things like walls and those parking barriers. the car had a big ole bumper so it took no damage, but it was a fucking stupid thing to do. then again i was only 18 years old when i did that, by 27 i had a nice car and wouldnt ever dream of doing anything which might have scratched that car.

Fadaar

That guy

Yeah after working for a manufacturer for a little over a year and a half now, it's pretty regular that issues we discover in production get pushed out to the entire fleet to get fixed next time the jet comes in for service. If it's bad enough it'll have to get fixed immediately. But yeah, do not piss off the FAA. You do not want to do that.