[CHESS] Carlsen vs Caruana - World Chess Championship match

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
Are there people that go on the Chess sites and basically have a AI up on the other screen to give them all the moves to make?

Probably yes. The one site I played on seriously, this was 15+ years ago, worked pretty hard to label them as computers rather than humans. I am sure however that there were people who got away with it.

Szlia

This is a poorly educated guess, but I would suspect people running online chess sites are interested in having as few cheaters as possible and it sounds reasonably trivial to randomly sample games and check what the winner did against the top move choices of the most popular engines and if you find a suspiciously well played game by someone, you check the other games of that someone.

Still, someone determined to cheat could probably fool the system by injecting inaccuracies here and there, by using several different engines and by identifying and not playing the most inhuman moves (since computers have no sense of aesthetic and a very deep view of the game, it's not uncommon their top moves are exceedingly bizarre and obscure and basically unplayable by humans because they look or feel wrong). The paradox here is that you need to be so good at chess to be able to cheat undetected that you probably don't need to cheat nor see the interest of it in the first place!

• 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Gankak

Vyemm Raider
It also depends on the style of chess you are playing I think. There are email chess sites that work very similar to correspondence chess in which case the use of engines is okay. Its only when playing 'live/over the board' that they dont want you doing it.

reavor

I'm With HER ♀
<Bronze Donator>
Some would actually prefer that in the chess world I think. I am not saying it should be one way or the other. I am just saying that this conversation will be had. I actually think its a viable strategy for Magnus to employ since he is so much better at rapid than most of the world actually.

Yes, and some argue that rapid/blitz is allowing for more "true chess", where intuition, game sense and gut play a greater part. A true grandmaster of chess needs to balance both fast and slow deliberations. That is why Magnus is the more deserving champion.