Children of Morta

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
This game is legit. Absolutely legit if you like rogue-like games.

Absolutely beautiful, and fantastic voice acting and a really good story. I've not played but a few hours, but already I adore it. It's one of my favorite games in awhile. I highly, highly recommend checking this out.

Main Gameplay starts about 12:30.

• 6Like
Reactions: 5 users

Kiroy

Marine Biologist
<Bronze Donator>
This game is legit. Absolutely legit if you like rogue-like games.

Absolutely beautiful, and fantastic voice acting and a really good story. I've not played but a few hours, but already I adore it. It's one of my favorite games in awhile. I highly, highly recommend checking this out.

Main Gameplay starts about 12:30.

I was checking this out today. You're a trusted reviewer so i'll have to grab it

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Bellular mentioned this in his latest/recent video so i looked it up. I loved coop in magicka 2 and to a lesser extent Wizard of legend and watching the reviews this looks like a solid pickup once its out on ps4 for some nice coop play.

ronne

Nǐ hǎo, yǒu jīn zi ma?
I played more of this at Pax than any other game I think and it's a blast. It holds up on its own just as singleplayer but the co-op is S-tier for sure.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
So I'm done unless there's more content soon.

Game was fun, a lot of fun actually. It's a lot more grindy and difficult at the start, and near the end it's steam rolling through everything. I think they misjudged a few parts of difficulty. I had a really hard time after part 1 and going into part 2, but once I could get through all of 2, 3 was easy and the final boss wasn't hard at all (nor do I think the final boss was supposed to be).

All in all, 8.5/10 from me certainly worth a play, and I think it's well worth $21, despite the relatively easy playthrough.

A few notes:

1. Graphics are outstanding, but the sound is really shitty. The music is beautiful but the sound effects were like there was only 1 channel for it, when one is in the middle of playing and another plays, it cuts off the previous one. Might just be my sound card, but several have complained about it so I'm not sure its just me. Some of the voice over and subtitles mismatched too.

2. Game is MUCH more grindy and difficult at the start than it is near the end. To be expected from a rogue game, I think? I never needed to repeat anything in the 3rd part except the final area of the game for exps.

3. Game is short, if you're really good at it, you can probably get 10-12 hours out of it. I completed everything in 20, and by everything I mean I beat the story, got all the family buffs, maxed out the workshop, maxed out the book of rea, and got all achievements (book of rea one is bugged and wont award) minus the coop ones.

4. Several people complained about unimaginative gameplay (90% of the time you're just holding LMB down) but to be honest, I don't think this game ever billed itself to be some intense hard core complex rogue-like. Its a game about a family, basically. It's got a nice theme to it. It's not a hard core game other than the initial grind, and most of the mechanics can be avoided if you want (eg: I never once used the shield for John).

5. It pains me to the core that there is no post game content. There doesn't NEED to be, but it seems really easy to me, with the rogue engine already in play, to add in a post game rather than capping out the books. That alone would have added a lot more content to the game. This is one of those few games that is over over, yet I wish there was more to do.

6. Some characters are weaker than others overall, but some still work better in other areas despite being weaker overall. They balanced this well. For example, Kevin absolutely wrecks single target stuff so bosses are a joke with him. John is kinda the "balanced" character, but I thought he was weak. Linda is my fav, the bow mechanics work, and her rage ability makes the most sense. I liked Joey the least, because hes just too damn slow despite big hits.

7. There seems to be no controller support for PC (or if there is, I didn't see it). That's okay though, it works without. But that seems unusual since it seems to be a game that would be well suited for a controller.

TJT

Mr. Poopybutthole
<Gold Donor>
What is with this game forcuing me to play as two characters for a bit?

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
7. There seems to be no controller support for PC (or if there is, I didn't see it). That's okay though, it works without. But that seems unusual since it seems to be a game that would be well suited for a controller.

Mine started up with controller just fine and has a controller options settings page. It doesn't know I'm using a DS4 so it defaults to Xbox buttons though.

AladainAF

Best Rabbit
<Gold Donor>
Mine started up with controller just fine and has a controller options settings page. It doesn't know I'm using a DS4 so it defaults to Xbox buttons though.

Well that's good to know. Mine doesn't so I don't know whats going on there.

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I do have strange FPS issues. I have Gsync and Vsync was turned on by default. Was getting 80 FPS or so but very strange hitching and drops. Turned off Vsync and now it is mostly a locked 60 FPS, but again very strange stuttering and hitching as the camera moves around. I have too much shit going on in other monitors though. But Control played fine at 90 FPS in the same environment.

j00t

Silver Baronet of the Realm
Well that's good to know. Mine doesn't so I don't know whats going on there.

so... it SEEMS like when you first load the game up, and it says "press any button" that seems to be the time when the game chooses whether or not you are using keyboard or gamepad. the first time i played it i just hit spacebar or whatever and it wouldn't detect my gamepad. then i loaded it up earlier today and pressed x on my gamepad and it wouldn't detect my mouse.

so... no idea why but try that out? i think certain characters control better with mouse (linda) and others control better with gamepad

Intrinsic

Person of Whiteness
<Gold Donor>
I do have strange FPS issues. I have Gsync and Vsync was turned on by default. Was getting 80 FPS or so but very strange hitching and drops. Turned off Vsync and now it is mostly a locked 60 FPS, but again very strange stuttering and hitching as the camera moves around. I have too much shit going on in other monitors though. But Control played fine at 90 FPS in the same environment.

Found this on the Steam boards, it has helped a little bit but not completely fixed my stuttering. It locks at 137 fps and never drops but still has very small stuttering. Not nearly as bad as before.

Add this to your launch/startup parameters "-window-mode exclusive".

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
Got this on the ps4 yesterday. It's pretty fun but the loadtimes are atrocious, and fps can also lag after certain quest scenes. Is that the case on PC aswell or is it a ps4 thing? Or is it just my ps4 thats broken somehow even though it plays other games just fine.

To clarify loading into the dungeon from the house can take like 30 seconds, and the tally at the end of the dungeon/death takes over a minute. It's a pixel art game so i just don't get how it loads this slow.

Lodi

Blackwing Lair Raider
Beat this with a friend a couple weeks ago and I thought it was a blast. I generally am not a big fan of isometric combat but this had me sold. Great visuals, great music, fun combat, fun progression. I would definitely recommend this co-op.

Captain Suave

Caesar si viveret, ad remum dareris.
Is that the case on PC aswell or is it a ps4 thing?

Load times 5-10s on a 5+ year old PC. When I had a beta version I got ATROCIOUS framerates (like 10 fps) but retail has been silky smooth so far on the exact same hardware (GSYNC, 1440p on a GTX 970).

Thregin

Blackwing Lair Raider
So it seems to be a PS4 issue then. I guess i shouldve gotten it on PC but i just wanted some coop on my livingroom couch cause like a mentioned previously in this thread magica 2 for example was a blast. This is still fun but maybe a 6/10 cause of the issues.

Hateyou

Not Great, Not Terrible
<Bronze Donator>
Late to the party but I finished this today. Great game, I really enjoyed playing multiple characters. I’m an alt-oholic in arpg’s and MMOs so playing games that are designed with that as a mechanic is pretty cool.

I didn’t care for the monk much, only because he constantly loses his target, if it would stay locked I think it would have been a better design for him. I didn’t really like the play style of the little fire girl either, felt like too much kiting since you can’t move and fire. Or her dps felt too low, and having to constantly evade/cast a distraction and start firing again got old. The kiting style of the bow girl was a lot more fun. Those two minor complaints weren’t a big deal though, I still got the final ability level for each person because it was just fun playing different people.

The main story and even some of the little side stories were a lot more serious than I thought they would be. It had a great tone and setting all the way through.