City of Heroes has actually been online for years....

Hekotat

FoH nuclear response team
13,495
14,100
is this game still absolutely filled to the brim with perverts

Seems like every game these days. I've had to turn off more chat windows in the past 2 years than my entire lifetime of gaming combined. Nothing but femboy/LGBT disgusting topics non-stop. It's no wonder these idiots never get laid.
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
19,061
15,554
If there are, I haven’t seen them. Although I am playing on a less populated server so I get the bonus xp, so it’s mostly noobs it feels like
 

Runnen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2,477
6,045
I re-installed this and I've been having a lot of fun. The game is old and a bit clunky as expected, but it was a blast back then to create characters and run around Paragon City and it still is to this day.

I made a tank ninja cyborg type of character and I'm having fun soloing everything. They made a bunch of new ways to tackle group content solo and so far I've only been doing missions to level (I'm just level 18). They also added a bunch of the paywalled options in the character creator for free, and unlocked access to the content that was behind max characters (like the alien races you could only start to play if you had a level 50). Of course City of Villains is also included, and it's all completely FREE.

NCSoft backs this game project now, and there's even been free updates from some of the devs.

I'm on the Victory server but I only see a few low level noobs in Atlas Park / Galaxy City, as soon as I went into higher level zones like Skyway City or Steel Canyon, it felt like a single player game. I don't mind personally, I even did a taskforce by myself as a tank, but there doesn't seem to be many players online.
 
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
20,264
45,072
I re-installed this and I've been having a lot of fun. The game is old and a bit clunky as expected, but it was a blast back then to create characters and run around Paragon City and it still is to this day.

I made a tank ninja cyborg type of character and I'm having fun soloing everything. They made a bunch of new ways to tackle group content solo and so far I've only been doing missions to level (I'm just level 18). They also added a bunch of the paywalled options in the character creator for free, and unlocked access to the content that was behind max characters (like the alien races you could only start to play if you had a level 50). Of course City of Villains is also included, and it's all completely FREE.

NCSoft backs this game project now, and there's even been free updates from some of the devs.

I'm on the Victory server but I only see a few low level noobs in Atlas Park / Galaxy City, as soon as I went into higher level zones like Skyway City or Steel Canyon, it felt like a single player game. I don't mind personally, I even did a taskforce by myself as a tank, but there doesn't seem to be many players online.
Under the last time I logged in I didn't really see anybody in Atlas Park but when it had come out a place was loaded. I got a few characters up to 50 and got some of my buddies on and we were making goofy super groups.

I think my last character I was working on was a darkness brute that I had shifted over to the city of villains world to do some storyline. That guy and one of the aliens which was Lord Xenu of the Church of Scientology. One of my buddies was L Ron Hubbard, and he was a mastermind with thugs or something. Probably should have been robots but whatever.

I know when did it come out though I was playing it pretty heavily for a while and farming skill things or whatever and doing a lot of auction house stuff to buy the really good power things. I'll remember how any of it works, but the games are blast and I think I was on victory as well.
 
  • 1Worf
Reactions: 1 user

Runnen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2,477
6,045
I know when did it come out though I was playing it pretty heavily for a while and farming skill things or whatever and doing a lot of auction house stuff to buy the really good power things. I'll remember how any of it works, but the games are blast and I think I was on victory as well.

I'm playing super casually so far, made a few goofy characters that probably won't make it out of Atlas Park and only really working on that ninja cyborg tank, but I'm not sure I'll ever get to any serious "gear", everything seems super expensive and I find the menus a bit clunky to create your own upgrades and inventions, etc..

But man, this game with modern graphics would kick ass (my current characte below : 1 is in-game graphics, 2 is realistic AI edit, and 3 is cyberpunk edit)

CoH Ninja.png


I always enjoyed the goofy factions of enemies in the game, you've got street thugs being mugged by goddamn evil druids in the park, and then you've got hobo-alien mutants with STOP signs as armor and wielding a pipe with a fireman water pump at the end of it fighting against modern nazis in bondage gear.

Yesterday I went to the tailor shop to get a secondary costume and the tailor male NPC was a huge gay caricature basically flirting with my character and the answer in the dialog tree was like "Whatever, I'm leaving", was pretty funny to see in this day and age.
 
Last edited:
  • 1Solidarity
Reactions: 1 user

Cybsled

Naxxramas 1.0 Raider
19,061
15,554
I'm on the Victory server but I only see a few low level noobs in Atlas Park / Galaxy City, as soon as I went into higher level zones like Skyway City or Steel Canyon, it felt like a single player game. I don't mind personally, I even did a taskforce by myself as a tank, but there doesn't seem to be many players online

Not super surprising - when this was revealed to the wider public, it was pretty busy. I got a character to max level (I did dual-pistols + gadgets), but sort of lost interest in the "gear" grind and stopped playing.

I suppose that is the flipside to the game when you look back: everyone remembers the fun with character creation and the super early stuff, but the end game stuff left a lot to be desired.
 

Runnen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2,477
6,045
Yes, even back when it came out originally I played and got to level 50 eventually on a blaster (assault rifle/gadgets) and even though I wasn't in some kind of super guild or anything I did a few raids and they were just... dumb. Stuff was more tank n spank than even the most basic EQ raids, and the story was ehhh.

This game always felt to me more like a "get to max on an archetype and then start to play another archetype" kind of game.
 
  • 2Like
Reactions: 1 users

hats

Molten Core Raider
75
44
There is some ‘endgame’ stuff for your favorite dudes in that you can get stat increases (hp/end) and a handful of short term big ass damage and defense buff powers on a 10min cooldown as rewards for completing certain combinations of achievements, called accolades in game. I don’t consider a build ‘complete’ until it’s fully io’ed and rocking all the incremental increases. Oh there’s also the incarnate system which is like a simple and relatively short AA track. Takes about the same time as 1-50 again to fully max it out.

So, there’s a wall for power increases just a little farther than levels. After that, what’s left is badge / achievement hunting and creating a 2-box to plvl your additional chars. Strangely endearing though.

I come back once every 1-2 years, grab a build on the discord and grind up a new char or two.

Move your characters to Excelsior. Transfers are free and unlimited (charges regenerate). Just go to the populated server. Way more people running pugs.
 
  • 2Like
  • 1Mother of God
Reactions: 2 users

Runnen

Ahn'Qiraj Raider
2,477
6,045
Move your characters to Excelsior. Transfers are free and unlimited (charges regenerate). Just go to the populated server. Way more people running pugs.

Holy shit, I did as you said and this is now a totally different game. There's people everywhere running and zooming around and chat is super busy, it's crazy how it changes from one server to another!
 
  • 1Like
Reactions: 1 user

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
20,264
45,072
There is some ‘endgame’ stuff for your favorite dudes in that you can get stat increases (hp/end) and a handful of short term big ass damage and defense buff powers on a 10min cooldown as rewards for completing certain combinations of achievements, called accolades in game. I don’t consider a build ‘complete’ until it’s fully io’ed and rocking all the incremental increases. Oh there’s also the incarnate system which is like a simple and relatively short AA track. Takes about the same time as 1-50 again to fully max it out.

So, there’s a wall for power increases just a little farther than levels. After that, what’s left is badge / achievement hunting and creating a 2-box to plvl your additional chars. Strangely endearing though.

I come back once every 1-2 years, grab a build on the discord and grind up a new char or two.

Move your characters to Excelsior. Transfers are free and unlimited (charges regenerate). Just go to the populated server. Way more people running pugs.
Son of a bitch, I'm actually on excelsior, because why wouldn't I be because of the Simpsons reference.

I just couldn't remember because I'm getting old.
 

Dr.Retarded

<Silver Donator>
20,264
45,072
I know right. Its clearly a big bang theory reference
I never watched that show. I tried because people told me I would probably enjoy it for all the nerdy references and stuff and it was insufferable. I think the last sitcom I probably ever watched was married with children.